relax

Author Topic: Really....Paladino?  (Read 9595 times)

Offline Sweeper

• Mayor
Re: Really....Paladino?
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2010, 07:18:28 PM »
your nonsensical beliefs and cult-like worship of the almighty Market

Would you care to share which belief was nonsensical? Is it that free people operating in a free society is the most efficient means to deliver good?  s___, I just convinced the Castro brothers of that. You would think that Astorians Progressives could get on board sometime.

you said:
be sure to make it clear that you like Republicans in general and Paladino in particular.

I said:
Paladino deserves to win the Republican primary simply because he is not Rick Lazio. He deserves to be the next governor because he is not Cuomo.

and:
I dread the upcoming Republican majority in the house, because I don't think they got it through there heads that the nation is screaming, "DO LESS, SPEND LESS".

But I understand. You are PROGRESSIVE. Actual words have no real meaning.
Thanks a bunch!

No problem. In the future, let's examine why Carolyn Maloney is so much more qualified than we are to decide how our hard earned labor should be spent.

[

Offline QMC

• Campaigning for Council
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2010, 07:43:37 PM »
Be gentle, Sweeper.  People who are deeply involved in local campaigns should be excused for thinking their forty year progressive majority will in fact expire after only two years.   8-)

I really think President Obama should take some advice from our local entry level progressive campaign worker and shoulder aside that "pervasive Conservative influence" and go full-throttle Astoria/Austin/Greenwich Village/San Fran progressive, since I sort of want the Senate and the Presidency back in 2012. 
There is no such thing as a stupid question
There are, however, many inquisitive idiots :)

Offline holyfrjole

• Council Member
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2010, 08:35:30 PM »
Carl Paladino is not a bad guy... and I say this as a social progressive. A friend of mine knows him very VERY well personally. The reality is, the guy isn't a politician. He's not polished, he's rough around the edges, and he doesn't speak in sound bites given to him by his PR people. He says what's on his mind, not what he thinks people want to hear just to get their vote. He is a businessman, and yes, he's gotten some great government contracts, but he's gotten them because he's consistently been a low bidder for projects and is just good at what he does. The man is self-made and painfully honest -- often to his detriment.

The media loves to make him seem like a buffoon, because they only pick up the bits and pieces that will make for good ratings. Fiscally, he's got some great ideas and he wouldn't be beholden to special interests. Socially, yeah, he's a bit ass backward.

What it'll come down to is what's important to people... vote for a candidate that may really shake things up in Albany because he's not part of the establishment, and may be the first shot at actually fixing what has been a very broken system for a very long time, even though you may not agree with him on social issues; or vote for the candidate who is just another cog in the Albany machine because he's in line with your positions socially?

I can honestly say I'm not really sure who I'll vote for come November.

Offline kempsternyc

• Senator
  • Me in a bowler hat and nowhere to go.
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2010, 10:45:05 PM »
He takes government money to fill up his office towers and in the process gets rich and then attacks government spending.....

It's a juxtaposition that I just can't understand.

For me, if you make yourself rich sucking on the government teat......don't run a campaign threating to cut off the nipple.....that you sucked on.

Personally, I don't know his stand on gay marriage.

I won't vote for him because of the racist emails he forwarded (that tells me alot about his character). And because his solution to poverty is to send poor people to camps to teach them to wipe their asses.

That being said.....I'm not really an Andrew Cuomo supporter. He is not that impressive to me.

Albany is corrupt....and I don't see Cuomo changing it.......and Paladino seems like a bull in a china shop that will just make the legislature circle round and protect itself.

I wish one party had put forward a true reformer.......

Instead, I feel like I am watching Spitzer: round 2.

Looks like I'll be voting Green or Libertarian this time around.
I love talking about nothing father, it is the only thing I know anything about -

Lord Goring "An Ideal Husband"

Offline JoeyC

• Senator
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2010, 11:52:32 PM »
November is sure going to be interesting here.  A lot of this:   :ticked:   

Offline Cannibal

• Mayor
  • This bear won't let the snow stop him!
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2010, 11:20:18 AM »
Lazio announces he'll drop out of Conservative line with the whimsical hope of one day he'd be appointed Judge Lazio - Friend of The Investment Banks.
So all that's left are the pseudo reformer and the pseudeo teabagger.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 11:26:14 AM by Cannibal »
If I can't walk there,
It doesn't exist.

Offline kempsternyc

• Senator
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2010, 06:45:29 PM »
Paladino calls gays 'dysfunctional'
By REUVEN FENTON and JEREMY OLSHAN
Last Updated: 6:09 PM, October 10, 2010
Posted: 6:00 PM, October 10, 2010
Carl Paladino says it’s not okay to be gay.

"There is nothing to be proud of in being a dysfunctional homosexual," the Republican gubernatorial candidate told a small Hasidic group at K’hal Adas Kasho synagogue in Williamsburg today.

"That's not how god created us, and that's not the example that we should be showing our children."

Paladino, who has made his opposition to the gay marriage and "the homosexual agenda" clear, went much further yesterday, to say children "would be much better off and much more successful getting married and raising a family" than being gay."

"And I don't want them to be brainwashed into thinking that homosexuality is an equally valid and successful option," he said. "It isn't."

The speech came just days after the suicide of a gay Rutgers student and an anti-gay gang attack in the Bronx.

His Democratic opponent, Andrew Cuomo, blasted the remarks as "stunning homophobia and a glaring disregard for basic equality."

A campaign spokesman said "These comments along with other views he has espoused make it clear that he is way out of the mainstream and is unfit to represent New York."

Paladino did try to couch his anti-gay rhetoric.

"Don't misquote me as wanting to hurt homosexual people in any way -- that would be a dastardly lie," he explained. "My approach is live and let live."

Paladino presented the group with an advance copy of the speech. Although the group had no apparent problem with the anti-gay remarks, they did ask the candidate to strike a paragraph referring to the Ground Zero mosque, explaining that they did not wish the word "mosque" to be spoken there.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/paladino_says_homosexuals_dysfunctional_gUvEfEIg7TCg5x2He3pLLO?CMP=OTC-rss&FEEDNAME=
I love talking about nothing father, it is the only thing I know anything about -

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2010, 08:28:40 PM »
He has a really strange campaign strategy.  Gay-baiting, thankfully, doesn't work well electorally statewide in NYS and it's not going to help him.  What a jerk.

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2010, 10:28:28 PM »
He talks out of both sides of his mouth - he wants to put the beat down on Albany, but at the same time doesn't like how the press is treating him.  Waah, waah, waaaaaaaaaah!  He can dish it out but he can't take it.  Ugh, what a loser.

Offline JoeyC

• Senator
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2010, 12:58:33 AM »
I'm voting for him, I think he's way better than Cuomo, a guy who would not be where he is if not for his father, and a guy who says whatever he thinks will get him elected.   Paladino has  a lot of support, but biased news coverage  will hurt him.

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2010, 03:08:36 PM »
It's really interesting to watch Palladino weave today trying to spin away his remarks yesterday.  He was very explicit in condemning LGBT people and saying we were both dysfunctional, should not be an example and are not a valid "lifestyle", and then today on NY1 he says I am 100% in favor of gay rights, just not the right to marry.  Does he even think before he opens his mouth?  It's really disturbing. 

Offline kempsternyc

• Senator
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2010, 11:55:16 PM »
I'm voting for him, I think he's way better than Cuomo, a guy who would not be where he is if not for his father, and a guy who says whatever he thinks will get him elected.   Paladino has  a lot of support, but biased news coverage  will hurt him.

In all fairness.....I did not post the piece because I thought it would change your mind......And please tell me of a poll that show Paladino has "A lot of support"......from what I have heard....he gets 35%....

Offline JoeyC

• Senator
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2010, 12:18:14 AM »
It's really interesting to watch Palladino weave today trying to spin away his remarks yesterday.  He was very explicit in condemning LGBT people and saying we were both dysfunctional, should not be an example and are not a valid "lifestyle", and then today on NY1 he says I am 100% in favor of gay rights, just not the right to marry.  Does he even think before he opens his mouth?  It's really disturbing. 

He never used word 'Dysfunctional."    You should know better than to say that. If you watcched all tonights stories, one covered the remark correctly. It was in prepared written speech handed to Paladino by one of leaders of Jewish group he spoke to. Paladino crossed words out, did not like them, did not use  them. 

He supports all gay rights with one exception: Marriage.    I agree 100% with him. I would add adoption too.     

Rabbi Yehuda Levin is one who wrote speech with word dysfunctional, if anyone cares to check on it.   Be nice if people got their facts straight, instead of hysterically attacking anyone who disagree with them.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 12:32:48 AM by JoeyC »

Offline kempsternyc

• Senator
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2010, 12:56:36 AM »
He never used word 'Dysfunctional."    You should know better than to say that. If you watcched all tonights stories, one covered the remark correctly. It was in prepared written speech handed to Paladino by one of leaders of Jewish group he spoke to. Paladino crossed words out, did not like them, did not use  them. 

He supports all gay rights with one exception: Marriage.    I agree 100% with him. I would add adoption too.     

Rabbi Yehuda Levin is one who wrote speech with word dysfunctional, if anyone cares to check on it.   Be nice if people got their facts straight, instead of hysterically attacking anyone who disagree with them.

The fact that anyone gave a speech that included those words that you wish to discard, speaks volumes to me....he may have not uttered them.....but someone wrote them and hoped he would utter them. There are other parts of that speech that he should not have said.

I know you are straigth and would not understand.

Offline JoeyC

• Senator
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2010, 01:00:31 AM »
No, the fact is he is being misquoted.  I don't understand cause i'm straight????    I understand perfectly well.  He was misquoted, because he is against gay marriage, and for many, that is one thing they care about in politics.   

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life