relax

Author Topic: Hellgate CSA - Open for member signup!  (Read 6394 times)

Offline jayme

• Senator
  • friends of mine
Hellgate CSA - Open for member signup!
« on: April 05, 2006, 11:22:28 AM »
Hi all --

We're just writing briefly to announce that our website has gone live, and that we're now accepting sign-ups for the upcoming season! You can check out the new website at our new address: http://www.hellgatecsa.com

There's a couple things you should be aware of going into the new season. First, we've changed out distribution point for the season in order to be more centrally located for a majority of our members. We are now distributing out of the Freeze Peach cafe (full directions on our website.) We've also changed our name from RavenswoodCSA, to Hellgate CSA as this more appropriately reflects our new location.

We're also excited to announce that above and beyond the normal vegetable share that farmer Bill has agreed to offer both a "tomato share", a "honey share", and a "flower share" this year. We've also extended the lenght of the share and will begin distribution the first week of June.  Full details are on our website.

We've also added the ability to sign up online (no paperwork!), pay with credit cards for your share, or the option to make payments throughout the season. You can also sign up to get our online newsletter, or check out the blog. There are also pictures of last year's shares to give you an idea of what to expect.

Take a moment and check out the new site, and if you have any questions don't hesitate to send us an email.

We look forward to hearing from you.

You'll be hearing from us again soon.  Take the time to sign up for your share in the Hellgate CSA today!

cheers,
- jayme (& the Hellgate CSA core group)
These are pigs.
See francis's friends for kitties.

flooz

Re: Hellgate CSA - Open for member signup!
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 11:35:22 AM »
YAY!!!!!
im on the site now hoping to sign up...am i missing where it is on there? Or is it not up yet. me want veggies!!!

Offline lanseaux

• Governor
  • Mexico
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 11:39:23 AM »
Flooz - check the paragraph on the home page in orange type - there are two links, one that lets you sign up online, and one that lets you print out the form.  Lots of options!

flooz

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 11:44:38 AM »
i dont see no stinkin ornage type!!!!!  :?

flooz

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 11:48:01 AM »
oh wait there it is!
for some reason, the home page was a "test" one? i had delete the stuff after .com so i could get back to it.... weird.
but im all over it now!
danke

Offline jayme

• Senator
  • friends of mine
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2006, 11:49:11 AM »
These are pigs.

Offline Harlan

• Governor
  • Lemon Pistachios
    • Photos...
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2006, 11:51:22 AM »
Cool, lookin' forward to this! One suggestion -- does your farmer have a chart listing what vegetables are expected to be harvested when? I've seen CSAs that do this, and it's very useful and handy... Here's one from a CSA I belonged to in Urbana, IL...

Offline jayme

• Senator
  • friends of mine
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2006, 11:54:32 AM »
We don't have a chart from our farmer -- but we do have a weekly record of last year's shares.

This is only our second year so suggestions welcome -- a chart is a good idea.
These are pigs.

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2006, 12:36:18 PM »
Jayme, I have all the newsletters from last year, if that helps.

I can't wait to start my writing and editing of the newsletter for this season!

Offline cabanird

• Senator
    • Handmade Items
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2006, 07:19:29 PM »
ROCK ON!

thanks so much for all your work people!!
"the sun will rise in Queens and I will Shine..." The Exit

AstoriaK

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2006, 04:03:43 PM »
Cool, lookin' forward to this! One suggestion -- does your farmer have a chart listing what vegetables are expected to be harvested when? I've seen CSAs that do this, and it's very useful and handy... Here's one from a CSA I belonged to in Urbana, IL...

http://www.cenyc.org/HTMLGM/harvestcalendar.html  tells you the 'general' availability of fruits and  veggies through-out the growning year.  Did you know that fennel is a fall veggie?  I didn't.  :)

The only problem with a chart is that veggies are subject to change sometimes.  During last year's distribution I know that he would tell us what to expect the week of a distribution then a once or twice we would get a small change (perhaps we would be told eggplant then we'd get squash instead).  It also depends on the weather too as not everything grows when you want it too.  Too much/too little rain always affects your projected crop output.

BUT Bill's great and his veggies are YUMMY and sooo good for you!

Offline Harlan

• Governor
  • Lemon Pistachios
    • Photos...
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2006, 05:36:32 PM »
http://www.cenyc.org/HTMLGM/harvestcalendar.html  tells you the 'general' availability of fruits and  veggies through-out the growning year.  Did you know that fennel is a fall veggie?  I didn't.  :)

Oh, that's a good resource. Spring parsnips appear to be available now...! I was more curious what all Bill planted and less curious about specifically what's available when! :) Looking forward to it, in any case!

AstoriaK

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2006, 09:21:35 AM »
I was more curious what all Bill planted and less curious about specifically what's available when! :)

Well... in that case check out this link :    http://www.hamptons.com/greenthumb/   and that's only a small sample of what he grows. 

:-D :-D :-D :-D (you get the extra smileys 'cause talking about veggies makes me really happy!)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2006, 09:23:59 AM by AstoriaK »

Offline jayme

• Senator
  • friends of mine
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2006, 11:06:18 AM »
*bump*

This note just went out to people on our mailing list -- I thought I'd share it here as well though as it makes some great points and is a good reminder to sign up!

Come meet Farmer Bill THIS Tuesday, May 9th, and sign up for Organic Veggies!

We've contacted you before, but we want to remind you that time is running short for you to join Hellgate CSA for the whole season.   If you delay much longer, you might miss out on Green Thumb Farm's great spring greens and luscious, sweet strawberries.   Every week you put off joining is one less week of Bill's freshly harvested organic vegetables on your table.

We at Hellgate CSA also want to share a little bit of why we think being a CSA member is such a great idea.   One, it's easy on your wallet.   Hellgate CSA's basic share is only $10 a week.  The share is an ideal size for two people (or one really enthusiastic vegetable lover).  If you'd like, you can share a share with someone (a neighbor or friend).  We're also offering a fresh flower share, honey shares, and September tomato shares (in addition to the tomatoes included in the regular share).

But there are bigger, better reasons to join Hellgate CSA.  As a CSA member, you are taking steps to declaring independence from the corporate agribusinesses that ship you pesticide-laced tasteless tomatoes and squishy squash grown thousands of miles from your door.   Instead, you will be supporting a local, sustainable food economy, and getting great-tasting vegetables while you're at it.  Your support of Green Thumb Farm, a mostly organic farm in Water Mill, Long Island, also means you will be helping to prevent soil erosion, protect water quality, save energy, and promote biodiversity.   You will have a direct connection with Bill Halsey, our farmer.  He's a great guy, but don't take our word for it – meet him yourself at the Freeze Peach Café THIS Tuesday, May 9th, from 5:30-7:30.

Payment plans are available.  You can sign up online and learn more about Hellgate CSA on our website at www.hellgatecsa.com.

Join today!  We can't wait to see you.

The Hellgate CSA
These are pigs.

Offline merm

• Administrator
  • Governor
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2006, 12:51:36 PM »
Count me in. I'm signing up.

Offline cabanird

• Senator
    • Handmade Items
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2006, 03:18:53 AM »
hello astorians...

i am interested in going to the Q n A thing on tuesday... i might be coming in late... 630pm or so.

but i am interested in sharing a share with someone. i live in the ditmars area.

get in touch if you want to share!
Rosemary
"the sun will rise in Queens and I will Shine..." The Exit

Offline jayme

• Senator
  • friends of mine
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2006, 08:24:15 AM »
Q&A should go until 7:30 so latecomer's welcome.

It's a general interest/informational meeting so very informal but fun.

cheers,
jayme
These are pigs.

flooz

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2006, 04:48:22 PM »
i can't make it!!!! i'm stuck at work till who knows when. but i would love cliffnotes from tonights meet and farmer greet!

:(

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life