relax

Author Topic: Athens Park Piano vandalized  (Read 1792 times)

Offline ladydi

• Mayor
Athens Park Piano vandalized
« on: June 21, 2010, 09:15:13 AM »
I noticed over the weekend that one of the pianos in the "Play Me, I'm Yours" program was in Athens Square Park
on 30th Avenue. Unfortunately, the piano has been damaged—most likely by the same people who use the park as
their trash can and treat it with total disrespect. A plastic covering was draped over it yesterday to protect it from the rain.

This morning the cover was ripped and one of the front panels above the keys was missing and laying broken on the ground.

Nice way to treat part of a worldwide arts exhibit.

Astorians

Athens Park Piano vandalized
« on: June 21, 2010, 09:15:13 AM »

Offline BoredTemp

• Council Member
Re: Street Piano in Athens Square Park
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 11:52:17 AM »
That's terrible!  I had read about this exhibit and was looking forward to going over and visiting the piano, perhaps with some friends and having fun playing it.

Offline ladydi

• Mayor
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 12:04:36 PM »
I actually don't play, but I'd heard about the pianos being here in NYc on NPR. I hadn't noticed this one before, so I'm not sure how long it's been there.

But I was furious when I saw the damage this morning. That park is always a mess  -- filled with trash all the time and the surface is being damaged by the skateboarders who think they own it.

I know the parks dept. does clean and maintain it, but the regular state of it is shameful. And this just makes it worse.

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 12:10:17 PM »
I'm saddened to hear about the damage to the piano.  I wish people would have the appropriate respect for something like this.

Once the skate park is completed in Astoria Park, hopefully the skaters will hang out there instead of Athens Square Park.

Offline ladydi

• Mayor
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 02:39:59 PM »
Yes - the skateboarders are one thing, but I'm always amazed at the amount of trash strew all over. That park has more trash cans
than you can count. No matter where you are, there seems to be one at every angle. And yet there's so much garbage on the ground,
in the bushes and on the tables that you would think there are none. People are just slobs these days. And their bad habits are rubbing
off on the kids too. I see so many kids throwing stuff on the ground and when you say something they're like, yeah, so what?

Offline masonicboom

• Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 04:42:24 PM »
This park, which SHOULD be a source of local pride and held up as a gem in the community, is instead continually a badge of shame and embarrassment.  Would Peter Vallone be able to do anything to spruce this place up? -- funnel some money into more frequent sweepings? -- or even just bigger or more garbage cans?  By the time Sunday evening rolls around the garbage cans are utterly overflowing! The new playgrounds and benches are very much welcomed, but some of the folks that use these playgrounds and benches leave their 7-11 detritus all over and it's really getting to a ridiculous point.

Offline AllisonTartalia

• Citizen
    • http://www.MusicForQueens.com
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010, 04:59:27 PM »
I just went to Athens Square park today to play the piano and was horrified to see that it had been completely gutted, with all the keys removed and laying in a pile on the ground.  I've been telling students about this exhibit all week because it's such an amazing opportunity for people to come together through music.  I'm just heartbroken that the one in our neighborhood didn't even survive a day. :(

Offline BoredTemp

• Council Member
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010, 05:03:23 PM »
WHAT???

I was there on Wednesday and while it was not "playable" it was at least in one piece.

Good grief, some people are true idiots.  :-o   :x

Offline mangopaco

• Activist
  • mangopaco's chicken nugget
    • Dear Chicken Nugget
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2010, 09:44:57 PM »
I just went to Athens Square park today to play the piano and was horrified to see that it had been completely gutted, with all the keys removed and laying in a pile on the ground.  I've been telling students about this exhibit all week because it's such an amazing opportunity for people to come together through music.  I'm just heartbroken that the one in our neighborhood didn't even survive a day. :(

That's so disturbing. 

Offline aaronin

• Tourist
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2010, 11:28:52 PM »
I guess this is why we can't have nice things. Seriously, I've been around the city and every other piano seems to be in perfectly fine condition. Actually, I was in Athens square park on Wed. and I played it. It was beat up but working. tons of kids (under 5) were hovering around and playing on it. It's too bad that some punk kids who make that park an already hostile place ruined it for everyone else.

anyway, upsetting for sure.

Astorians

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2010, 11:28:52 PM »

Offline dfowler40

• Tourist
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2010, 11:17:07 AM »
Just cant have anything nice in the city.  Or maybe just that park.  The other day I read an amazing story where a couple heard about the pianos and got married in front of one with a friend playing for them in Manhattan....

Offline daisy

• Global Moderator
  • President
Re: Athens Park Piano vandalized
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2010, 11:48:29 AM »
Wow, that picture makes me upset and sad at the same time.  Some people have no respect for themselves or others.

Offline kempsternyc

• Senator
  • Me in a bowler hat and nowhere to go.
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2010, 12:25:25 PM »
Hoo-Ray....we are now on NY1 :mrgreen:

Evidently we have the only vandalized piano.....what an honor.  :|
I love talking about nothing father, it is the only thing I know anything about -

Lord Goring "An Ideal Husband"

Offline FZ

• Running for Senate
  • Real Peace Comes After The Battle Is Won
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2010, 11:10:40 AM »
Well, I'm not surprised, with what's  been moving into Astoria the last ten years and then we wonder why hospitals and schools in the  30th avenue area are overwhelmed, scammed and in need of help.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life