relax

Author Topic: Pilates & Yoga in the Park  (Read 1274 times)

Offline kem2127

• Resident
Pilates & Yoga in the Park
« on: June 10, 2010, 09:08:50 PM »
Has anyone done the free pilates and yoga classes at the Sculpture park? I want to go but don't have anyone else to go with and don't have any experience with either. If anyone has gone can you give me some basic info?

Thanks

Offline daisy

• President
Re: Pilates & Yoga in the Park
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 08:32:56 AM »
I try to take the pilates every Sunday and it's amazing.  They have different instructors most of the time but they are all wonderfully patient and very knowledgeable. I don't know about yoga, but the pilates is set up for both beginners and advanced, so you don't need experience.  It's right on the park by the water on a Sunday morning, and it's incredibly peaceful and relaxing.  Can't say enough good things about this class.  It takes me forever to get to Socrates, but to me, it's worth it.

Offline purplecurlygirl

• Council Member
Re: Pilates & Yoga in the Park
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 09:40:51 AM »
I've been going to the yoga classes on Saturdays this summer for the first time. The instructor is great, and she's very focused on proper alignment which is important. When you say you don't have any experience, do you mean you've never done yoga and pilates or never done them in a park? I'm not sure that I would start with yoga in the park for my very first yoga class ever, as doing the poses on the uneven ground is a little more challenging than in a studio and it's a large class with less opportunity for the instructor to focus on you and correct your poses. On the other hand, I don't think it would be detrimental, and hey, it's free! I do find the classes really great, challenging and relaxing at the same time. You definitely don't need someone to go with--you can just show up and put down your mat or towel (AND WATER), sit quietly until the class starts and leave when it's over. People aren't really all hanging out and chatting beforehand--it's a rather quiet environment. I think probably half the people there come alone.

Supposedly there's a Facebook page or group that the instructor is setting up, but I couldn't find it and haven't received any emails about it yet.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life