relax

Author Topic: Time Warner Cable - Freezing picture during programs  (Read 7183 times)

Offline andeonta

• Resident
Time Warner Cable - Freezing picture during programs
« on: June 07, 2010, 09:18:45 AM »
Has anyone been having issues with Time Warner Cable lately?  Its nearly impossible to watch a program without the picture freezing every few minutes.  It freezes in crucial moments during a program and its absolutely driving me nuts.  Its happening in both of my boxes in my apartment.  I called them last night and they had me reboot the boxes in other words "refreshing" them.  It was supposed to fix the problem but the freezing came back.  Any thoughts?

Offline MagicPie

• Governor
  • Don't get scared. Get organized!
    • Unjumbler Professional Organizing
Re: Time Warner Cable - Freezing picture during programs
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 09:22:07 AM »
Yes!  This has been happening in my apartment.  I tried to ignore it but it seems to be getting worse.  I have no idea what to do about it.  I can't figure out if it's the box or the cable or the program itself.  Please let me know if you find out anything.  I thought I was the only one. 

Offline C-J

• Senator
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 09:57:59 AM »
We are having the same problem primarily with MTV HD and HGTV HD.  Friends of ours recently exchanged their box and said that helps the problem a little but doesn't completely alleviate it.

Offline Mer

• Mayor
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 10:06:50 AM »
Well, if it's any consolidation, TWC will implement their Switch Digital Video (SDV) feature starting the 15th.  For the most part, this will effect most of the HD channels and some of the lesser watched SD channels.  Basically, SDV holds all the HD channels in a local hub so that it is not constantly streaming into your home, and it will only come into your home when you enter that channel in.  There will now be a slight delay before the picture shows up due to it "switching on."  I've heard this helps with the freezing of the channels since now it has a stronger signal strength.

Oh, and the only reason I know about this stuff is because I have a Tivo and due to this new SDV I now need to get a tuning adapter so that we can see these channels that we wouldn't otherwise see with a cable card alone.

Offline andeonta

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 10:08:33 AM »
I think I already have SDV.  The channels have been switching "on" like that for months now.

Offline RayG

• Mayor
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 10:09:57 AM »
Also, TWC and RCN both receive their signals by satellite to their distribution hubs. You can see the dishes over by the BQE. So any satellite interference may be passed on down to the customers.

Offline ATB24

• Council Member
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 10:14:19 AM »
Most likely it's because of more HD channels added and not enough of a signal. Maybe there is one "drop" from the post to your house from the street, then split that among a couple of families, then split AGAIN inside your apartment for each TV. So the signal gets degraded each time. I had a similar problem with RCN a few years ago, I had them put 2 drops for my house, haven't had issues since.

Offline statnut

• Citizen
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 12:34:17 PM »
We had this problem for a while, before we finally were able to get a tech to come out here. Bear in mind we exchanged the box to no avail. The tech did something to the little box that has the cables coming out of it and voila, everything was working again.

Offline LastStop

• Council Member
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 02:35:24 PM »
Oh, and the only reason I know about this stuff is because I have a Tivo and due to this new SDV I now need to get a tuning adapter so that we can see these channels that we wouldn't otherwise see with a cable card alone.
I, too have a TiVo.  Is the adapter from TWC or does it have to be purchased?
Thanks!

Offline Mer

• Mayor
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 02:40:52 PM »
I, too have a TiVo.  Is the adapter from TWC or does it have to be purchased?
Thanks!

You can get it from TWC starting tomorrow. There will be no additional charge.  TWC sent a letter out to all cable card owners about a week ago.  But it did look like junk mail, so it might have missed your attention.

ETA:  Here's the TWC page about it: http://www.timewarnercable.com/nynj/learn/cable/sdv/

Offline kyle

• Activist
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 02:45:08 PM »
This happens to me too, especially if there's a storm brewing or it's really windy.

Offline holyfrjole

• Council Member
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 03:44:14 PM »
Happens to me all the time, so if I'm watching something in HD, I just switch to the non-HD channel and it's usually fine after that. Started seeing this happen frequently when we got our HD box, exchanged it, but it continued happening anyway. Figured it was the signal and not the box. Very frustrating. For the monthly cost of TWC, you'd think we'd get a good picture ALL the time.

Offline LastStop

• Council Member
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2010, 03:47:23 PM »
You can get it from TWC starting tomorrow. There will be no additional charge.  TWC sent a letter out to all cable card owners about a week ago.  But it did look like junk mail, so it might have missed your attention. ETA:  Here's the TWC page about it: http://www.timewarnercable.com/nynj/learn/cable/sdv/
Thanks, Mer!

Offline Starwind51

• Governor
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 02:12:35 AM »
I'm been meaning to ask other people about this problem for years, if I haven't already.  My worst channel is HGTV, the single channel I watch the most.  In addition to picture degradation, I get extreme audio/visual signal separation.  Even rebooting doesn't always get the signals back together again.  The last time a tech was sent I could tell he was a higher level that usual, but still hasn't solved my problems.  I have the problems no matter what the weather, and under no other identifiable conditions.

Offline varda35

• Resident
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2010, 04:37:46 PM »
Has anyone been having issues with Time Warner Cable lately?  Its nearly impossible to watch a program without the picture freezing every few minutes.  It freezes in crucial moments during a program and its absolutely driving me nuts.  Its happening in both of my boxes in my apartment.  I called them last night and they had me reboot the boxes in other words "refreshing" them.  It was supposed to fix the problem but the freezing came back.  Any thoughts?

Oh man we have been having this problem for months and it's been driving us insane!!! It always seems to happen right at the most important or exciting parts of shows. We thought we were the only ones, I don't know if it's better or worse that this is a more widespread problem. I have two dual tuner HD Tivos and I'm just hoping that when I get the adapters that they a) don't screw up the dual tuner funtion of my tivos and b) stop the ridiculous freezing problem.

And yes I know it is ridiculous that I have the capability to record four things at once....but sometimes we actually need to!!!

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life