relax

Author Topic: Sinners in the Hand of an Angry GOP  (Read 4439 times)

Offline enigmacat

• Governor
  • I am not a minion of evil. I am upper management.
Sinners in the Hand of an Angry GOP
« on: March 30, 2006, 11:30:18 AM »
http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2006/03/29/waronchristians/

excerpt:

'"My friends," White said in a stentorian voice like burnished oak, "America is no longer good. Unrighteousness, evil, corruption, perversion and death are now standard operating procedure in the United States of America. If we do not put an end to it now, in this moment of divine destiny, then God will and God should judge America."

This was remarkable language to hear at a political forum. Imagine if Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi gave a conference address that was followed by a furious condemnation of her country. She would have to scramble to distance herself from it and would be excoriated in the press regardless. But it's not unusual to encounter this kind of thing at one of Scarborough's events because they manage to bring together congressmen -- this one featured Sen. John Cornyn and Republican Reps. Todd Akin and Louis Gohmert -- with some of the most radical elements of what was once the right-wing fringe. (Sen. Sam Brownback was supposed to speak as well, but he couldn't make it because he was needed for a vote).

At one point, speaker Herb Titus held up a copy of Kevin Phillips' "American Theocracy," offering it as evidence of the putative war on Christians. It was an audacious move, given that Sara Diamond, the preeminent scholar of the Christian right, reported in a 1998 book that Titus was forced to resign his post as dean of the law school at Pat Robertson's Regent University because he refused to renounce Christian Reconstructionism. Christian Reconstructionism is a theocratic sect that advocates the replacement of civil law with biblical law, including the execution of homosexuals, apostates and women who are unchaste before marriage. Christian Reconstructionists used to be politically radioactive, but a new generation of religious right leaders like Scarborough have embraced them, and some members of today's GOP apparently see no problem associating with them. This does not mean that America is on the verge of theocracy, but it signals an important shift. The language of religious authoritarianism has become at least somewhat politically acceptable.'

Offline enigmacat

• Governor
Re: Sinners in the Hand of an Angry GOP
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 02:01:28 PM »
NY Times article on Joel Osteen:

A Preacher's Credo: Eliminate the Negative, Accentuate Prosperity
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/30/books/30oste.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

'He is not shy about calling on the Lord. He writes of praying for a winning basket in a basketball game, and then sinking it; and even of circling a parking lot, praying for a space, and then finding it. "Better yet," he writes, "it was the premier spot in that parking lot."'

Offline Jtrane

• Governor
    • http://www.joshirvingjazz.com
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 02:50:38 PM »
NY Times article on Joel Osteen:

A Preacher's Credo: Eliminate the Negative, Accentuate Prosperity
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/30/books/30oste.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

'He is not shy about calling on the Lord. He writes of praying for a winning basket in a basketball game, and then sinking it; and even of circling a parking lot, praying for a space, and then finding it. "Better yet," he writes, "it was the premier spot in that parking lot."'

This completely reminds me of a Simpsons episode.  Homer gets jealous of Flanders because a whole bunch of good stuff keeps happening to him.  Homer finds out that Flanders prays a lot.  So one day, Homer is sitting at home, and a boring TV show comes on.  Homer freaks out and can't find the remote.  So he prays for the remote to appear.  Lo and behold, at his feet, his remote!  So he starts praying for all kinds of silly stuff.  It was a really good episode.  It touched on the whole "don't take god for granted" thing.
Trying is the first step to failure - Homer Simpson
www.joshirvingjazz.com
www.myspace.com/joshirving

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 02:57:04 PM »
I loved that episode!  Isn't there a wiener-mobile involved?

I still think one of the best lines from that show is, "mmmm...sacrilicious...."

Offline Jtrane

• Governor
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 03:05:33 PM »
I loved that episode! Isn't there a wiener-mobile involved?

I still think one of the best lines from that show is, "mmmm...sacrilicious...."

Yeah, that would be the one!
www.joshirvingjazz.com

Offline enigmacat

• Governor
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 03:15:14 PM »
"Christian Reconstructionism is a theocratic sect that advocates the replacement of civil law with biblical law, including the execution of homosexuals, apostates and women who are unchaste before marriage. ... a new generation of religious right leaders like Scarborough have embraced them, and some members of today's GOP apparently see no problem associating with them."

I have to do more reseach on these guys.  I think the site Tencommandments.org (or .com?) used to be run by reconsturctionists.  They advocated the death penalty for gay people, non-christians, witches etc.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 03:18:40 PM by enigmacat »

Offline Jtrane

• Governor
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2006, 03:19:06 PM »
"Christian Reconstructionism is a theocratic sect that advocates the replacement of civil law with biblical law, including the execution of homosexuals, apostates and women who are unchaste before marriage. Christian Reconstructionists used to be politically radioactive, but a new generation of religious right leaders like Scarborough have embraced them, and some members of today's GOP apparently see no problem associating with them. This does not mean that America is on the verge of theocracy, but it signals an important shift. The language of religious authoritarianism has become at least somewhat politically acceptable."

I have to do more reseach on these guys. I think the site Tencommandments.org (or .com?) used to be run by reconsturctionists. They advocated the death penalty for gay people, non-christians, witches etc.

Sounds like a solid group of people. 
www.joshirvingjazz.com

daveed

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2006, 03:22:24 PM »

That's disgusting. I believe a prayer should be an expression of gratitude, never a request.

Offline megc

• President
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2006, 03:25:08 PM »
Most people believe that prayer = request.  "Oh God please help me with X."

BTW, I agree with the prayer = gratitude concept. 

OMG I AGREE WITH DAVEED ON SOMETHING!!! :-o :lol:

Offline Jonathan

• Senator
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2006, 03:26:13 PM »
"Christian Reconstructionism is a theocratic sect that advocates the replacement of civil law with biblical law, including the execution of homosexuals, apostates and women who are unchaste before marriage. ... a new generation of religious right leaders like Scarborough have embraced them, and some members of today's GOP apparently see no problem associating with them."

I have to do more reseach on these guys.  I think the site Tencommandments.org (or .com?) used to be run by reconsturctionists.  They advocated the death penalty for gay people, non-christians, witches etc.

Let me ask you folks, whats the difference between these people and the religious dominated government of Iran?  The only difference is your choice in religion. We are no better than they are.

God bless America.

daveed

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2006, 03:30:47 PM »
Let me ask you folks, whats the difference between these people and the religious dominated government of Iran?  The only difference is your choice in religion. We are no better than they are.

God bless America.

Correction: "They" [The Christian Reconstructionists] are no better than the mullahs in Iran. The difference is the CRs are not in power here, and I hope they never are...

megc:
OMG I AGREE WITH DAVEED ON SOMETHING!!!

Don't worry -- it happens to the best of 'em.  :wink: :lol:

Offline Jtrane

• Governor
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2006, 03:31:01 PM »
I agree with Daveed, and it's not the first time.  But that was the concept of that Simpsons episode. 

And finally, my god is better than your god!  Just don't ask me to prove it!  Haha.
www.joshirvingjazz.com

Offline megc

• President
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2006, 03:33:32 PM »
Damn, this is the kind of levity that awful religion/atheism thread needed!

Offline Jtrane

• Governor
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2006, 03:37:00 PM »
Correction: "They" [The Christian Reconstructionists] are no better than the mullahs in Iran. The difference is the CRs are not in power here, and I hope they never are...

Well, they might not be in direct power, but they certainly have a firm grip on Washington with the current administration...
www.joshirvingjazz.com

daveed

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2006, 03:38:12 PM »
I agree with Daveed, and it's not the first time.  But that was the concept of that Simpsons episode. 

And finally, my god is better than your god!  Just don't ask me to prove it!  Haha.

I think I caught the last part of that episode. I see Homer driving the Weenermobile, and I was like "what the hell?" Next thing I know my TV exploded.

Offline Jtrane

• Governor
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2006, 03:50:57 PM »
I think I caught the last part of that episode. I see Homer driving the Weenermobile, and I was like "what the hell?" Next thing I know my TV exploded.

To quote Nelson regarding your TV..."HA HA!"  Not really, though.  That's crazy that your tv spontaneously combusted!

But to correct you, it was actually Flanders driving away in the Weenermobile.  Homer was jealous about it.
www.joshirvingjazz.com

Offline Jonathan

• Senator
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2006, 03:57:11 PM »
Well, they might not be in direct power, but they certainly have a firm grip on Washington with the current administration...

This is what I think is happening right now. And have you heard that the CR thinks they are being persecuted and in the minority????  its amazing what pr can do for your cause.  NPR reported stats that:
25% of americans are CR
85% of americans are of christian faith

and somehow they think they are being ruled by leftist immoral scum.  What a bunch of crap.

Offline enigmacat

• Governor
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2006, 04:17:32 PM »
I am not that quick when it comes to politics, so I have to work through this stuff very slowly.

1.  It seems that the fringe far-right is being catered to by the GOP, even some of the members of the GOP who are probably more moderate in their personal beliefs, for the sake of votes.

2.  When did these bastards steal the morality card?  And why do we let them keep it?

3.  It seems that not enough people know too much about the fringe far right and and take them seriously. 

4.  I'm with Bruce Bawers, who believes that we should engage in polite dialogue with the christian right to learn more about what is really going on before the rug comes out from under us.  Not that he phrased it in quite those terms... I'll have to look for his book.  Hang on until I get back.

Offline enigmacat

• Governor
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2006, 04:22:31 PM »

Offline megc

• President
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2006, 04:30:53 PM »

This is worth watching again.  It's very short.  Kind of funny, too.
http://www.wiseass.org/html/content-jesus.html

Offline Jtrane

• Governor
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2006, 04:34:22 PM »
This is worth watching again. It's very short. Kind of funny, too.
http://www.wiseass.org/html/content-jesus.html

Wow, I can't believe what a freaking hippy Jesus is!  He must smoke a lot of pot.  Haha.
www.joshirvingjazz.com

daveed

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2006, 06:57:28 PM »
And a pinko, to boot. That's why I'm not a Christian. :-D :lol:

Offline enigmacat

• Governor
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2006, 07:16:56 PM »
Yeah, Jesus was a nice guy, but no one I would chose to follow.

And his dad was just a bastard.  I mean jesus was a literal bastard but the OT god was a effing asshole.

As my therapist says, "The Christian god is not a god of love.  EROS is the god of love." 

heh heh.  (no flames intended)

daveed

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2006, 08:37:33 PM »
Well, there's really only one choice...

ALL HAIL LORD XENU!!!!  :evil:

(BTW, that's Xeno, not Zeno  :wink: )

Offline Jonathan

• Senator
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2006, 06:19:29 AM »
If Jesus was here today, the GOP and fundamentalists would brand him a liberal lefty pinko.  he certainly wouldnt work into their plans.

I just cant see Jesus getting behind government control, spying, televangelism, hate mongering, and my favorite;  telling people to go to war and kill, rape, pillage in his name.

Im pretty certain Jesus was a cool, caring, compassionate sort of guy. And he had his own gang.  What would the gang colors have been?

Offline NYCMacUser

• President
  • Bippidi Boppidi Boo!
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2006, 06:24:22 AM »
What would the gang colors have been?

Considering that he was 30ish, not married and hanging around with a group of very strange men, his gang colors probably would have been pink and pale aqua!

:evil:
Women are like teabags.
We don't know our true strength
until we are in hot water! —Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline lanseaux

• Governor
  • Mexico
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2006, 09:40:51 AM »
If Jesus was here today, the GOP and fundamentalists would brand him a liberal lefty pinko.  he certainly wouldnt work into their plans.

Funny, yesterday, this thread made me think of the lyrics of Armageddon Days by The The (from 1989):

They’re 5 miles high as the crow flies
Leavin’ vapour trails against a blood red sky
Movin’ in from the east toward the west
With balaclava helmets over their heads, yes!

But if you think that jesus christ is coming
Honey you’ve got another thing coming
If he ever finds out who’s hi-jacked his name
He’ll cut out his heart and turn in his grave

Islam is rising
The christians mobilising
The world is on it’s elbows and knees
It’s forgotten the message and worships the creeds

It’s war, she cried, it’s war, she cried, this is war
Drop your possessions, all you simple folk
You will fight them on the beaches in your underclothes
You will thank the good lord for raising the union jack