relax

Author Topic: Questions  (Read 1690 times)

Offline ditmarszoe

• Resident
Questions
« on: May 21, 2010, 02:27:57 PM »
Hi everybody. I'm new to the board and I just saw this forum. Could somebody explain to me how Community Supported Agriculture works? Why are there several different CSAs for this area? Do you trade labor for a share? This sounds really interesting and unique and I'd love to learn more!

Offline Smurphette

• Resident
Re: Questions
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 11:23:42 AM »
Community supported agriculture is where a group of people will pre-buy a "share" in a small organic local farm.  They are then guaranteed a delivery of food every week.  But this food is all dependent on what is season and what the fields have yielded...  A CSA member agrees to support the farmer and accept the risks of living off the land might include.  That being said; I have never been disappointed with the amount of quality and quantity that I have received over the last 3 years.  There are several CSAs due to amount of interest, economic resources (some shares are much cheaper than others), and the farms available to serve the local population.
Everyone is required to do some amount of volunteer time for their share.  That is part of being a community!  But each CSA seems to handle these requirements in different ways.  =)
Hope this helps!

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life