relax

Author Topic: Thoughts on last night's primaries in Kentucky, Arkansas, Pennsylvania?  (Read 4508 times)

Offline Billz1981

• Senator
Any thoughts on the political action last night?  CNN has a good wrap-up (link below).

http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/05/19/preston.primaries.analysis/

Offline Debbie

• Senator
I'm glad Specter is out.

Offline Sweeper

• Mayor
Debbie and I agree Woo Hoo :wink:

Offline kempsternyc

• Senator
  • Me in a bowler hat and nowhere to go.
Overall, I think every incumbent should be nervous.

In PA, I'm glad Spector lost too. I also think the Democrat voters are pushing back against the Party Establishment and the lose of a populist message by Obama which excited so many people. Who would have thought a year ago that A candidate supported both by Gov Rendell and Pres Obama would have lost.

In Arkansas, I'm going to watch the next three weeks with great relish. Especially after the screwed up attempt to vote because she had already asked for/sent back an absentee ballot and was turned away at the voting place.....BTW, evidently is was sent to her VA address.......and here's a link to her 2 million dollar home. If I was a campaign advertiser, I would have that picture of her home and being turned away in ever voters mind for the runoff election.

"I'm sorry Mrs Lincoln, you can't vote here because you already voted from Virginia."

http://bluearkansasblog.com/?p=2313

In Kentucky, I find another interesting race. But, if I was a Kentucky voter, I would be turned off by the fact that Rand Paul is more interested in representing the Tea Party as opposed to representing the state of Kentucky. He mentioned the Tea Party nine times and the state only once. Is he trying to turn off every moderate and swing voter in the state. Again, if I was a campaign Advertiser, I would use that fact against him and lump him with Palin over and over again.

BTW, Rand Paul will be on the Maddow show tonight. His father already has been on. A few times I think.

Here's a current link to party numbers.
http://thecrossroads.typepad.com/crossroads/2010/04/kentucky-republican-independent-voter-registration-increase.html

The surprise for me was the Special Election to replace Murtha in PA-12. I honestly thought it would turn Republican because McCain won it in 2008.

BTW, this means that the GOP has not won one Congressional special election. And when it comes to Scott Brown, I still say it was a fluke and it was more because Coakley was outclassed by him and considered her election a shoo-in. Didn't she go to DC for a fundraiser? While I don't know baseball, I do know the one thing you don't do is screw up on a baseball question. How many candidates have stumbled on the "are you a Mets or Yankees fan"?

« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 08:40:31 PM by kempsternyc »
I love talking about nothing father, it is the only thing I know anything about -

Lord Goring "An Ideal Husband"

Offline TRX

• Governor
  • It only makes me laugh
    • http://www.lp.org
Life, Liberty, Happiness (pursuit of) and pasta

Offline kempsternyc

• Senator

Is This Really 1994 ? ??

I remember being a strong GOPer that year. They had a strong message that I could get behind. That and the House Democrats was corrupt beyond imagination (remember the house post office scandal) and I felt it was time for them to go.

This time around, it doesn't seem like there is the same strong on message discipline in the GOP. the RNC is a mess and major donors are building a second, outside the establishment, campaign financing system. And Boenher is no Newt Gingrich.
I love talking about nothing father, it is the only thing I know anything about -

Offline TRX

• Governor
  • It only makes me laugh

Sounds right to me. I felt the 94 class burned a good deal of goodwill and good faith. I think the GOP would like one, but has not found any real working message. I wondered if the GOP could take the House and Senate this year, and it remains to be seen if either takes place.

However, there is still a question whether Reid will again be the leader of the Senate.

I find it interesting that Obama got his nomination through the primary/caucus process. They should welcome the process continuing. A page was turned in 2008, and I will be glad to see another page turn.

Nothing so far changes or affects how I might vote this Nov. Here in NY, I see only maybe one incumbent that I might vote for. Not that they worry about such things. The Supreme Court already will have 2 new nominees so that changes things greatly. I dont care which party controls Congress. I certainly dont want one party to have the White House and nearly 60% of the votes.

Offline kempsternyc

• Senator
If Reid can get the Financial Reform bill, he may be in a better place back home. Reid is doing badly because he pissed off the Unions, which are strong in Las Vegas. The left loathes him for his pandering to the GOP senators and feel that he has wasted his filibuster proof majority. Not that it really existed because of Moderate Democrats.

Offline Billz1981

• Senator
I wondered if the GOP could take the House and Senate this year, and it remains to be seen if either takes place.

My (optimistic) prediction is that the GOP will recover the House but the Dems will hold the senate.  There aren't enough Democratic seats in play for the GOP to gain enough ground to take control.

If Reid can get the Financial Reform bill, he may be in a better place back home. Reid is doing badly because he pissed off the Unions, which are strong in Las Vegas. The left loathes him for his pandering to the GOP senators and feel that he has wasted his filibuster proof majority. Not that it really existed because of Moderate Democrats.

Plus, a "filibuster proof" majority is antithetical to our system of governance.  Nevada is not a solidly left state.  There is still a "wild west" spirit out there and many of the Dems are Dems because they are unionists.  So what the left outside of Nevada thinks doesn't matter much, if at all.  I would be shocked if Reid keeps his seat.

Offline Debbie

• Senator
Okay, it was one thing for some Tea Party folks to compare President Obama to Hitler and Stalin, but it is another when the former House Speaker does so:

http://thinkprogress.org/2010/05/18/gingrich-hitler-stalin/

Also, I think Raul Paul's remarks are questionable.  Is he Libertarian to the point of condoning that businesses allow segregation?  He should clarify what he meant in his recent comments.

What are everyone's thoughts on this?

Offline TRX

• Governor
  • It only makes me laugh
I dont think that is the worst question about a TEA supporter.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/ezra-klein/2010/05/rand_paul_may_not_be_a_racist.html

On other matters, I am not sure that I could vote for Rand(al), but if I had no other choice, he was the better of the candidates.
As a libertarian, I would ask him if he would support a business that practiced segregation. I would not. And for me, that means not supporting some businesses in Astoria.

We could not legislate the end of apartheid from afar, but I believe world efforts helped to bring SA to a better place.

Govt has tried to welcome integration in many areas. But I find too many govt efforts are still de facto segregated.

It will be interesting to see where the majority of voters of KY are. If they dont want federal govt interference, they have a clear choice. I also wonder where they will be regarding earmarks or funding for KY.

The question of mainstream and civility is an interesting one. I dont think actually having balanced smaller budgets is a mainstream position. And for the most part, folks as partisan as father Paul and Bernie Sanders are very civil. But can they actually produce legislation that gets passed without compromising integrity and principles?

Offline TRX

• Governor
  • It only makes me laugh

Will be passing on this, but if you want to celebrate ---

"August, Rand Paul came to New York and hosted a fundraiser at Webster Hall. Fast forward 10 months and he just had a "RANDSLIDE" victory to beat the establishment candidate with the help of Campaign For Liberty for the Republican nomination.

Now we're going back to where it all began to celebrate this victory along with an after party event for the Mises Circle here in Manhattan at Webster Hall. Join Lew Rockwell, Joseph Salerno and fellow patriots to celebrate the Free Market economics and Rand Paul's victory!

RSVP on FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=124286060923918

Sat May 22

Webster Hall - 8pm-2am
125 East 11th Street
New York, NY 10003

Offline Billz1981

• Senator
I dont think that is the worst question about a TEA supporter.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/ezra-klein/2010/05/rand_paul_may_not_be_a_racist.html

On other matters, I am not sure that I could vote for Rand(al), but if I had no other choice, he was the better of the candidates.
As a libertarian, I would ask him if he would support a business that practiced segregation. I would not. And for me, that means not supporting some businesses in Astoria.

We could not legislate the end of apartheid from afar, but I believe world efforts helped to bring SA to a better place.

Govt has tried to welcome integration in many areas. But I find too many govt efforts are still de facto segregated.

It will be interesting to see where the majority of voters of KY are. If they dont want federal govt interference, they have a clear choice. I also wonder where they will be regarding earmarks or funding for KY.

The question of mainstream and civility is an interesting one. I dont think actually having balanced smaller budgets is a mainstream position. And for the most part, folks as partisan as father Paul and Bernie Sanders are very civil. But can they actually produce legislation that gets passed without compromising integrity and principles?

Drat, you beat me to the punch on posting the Klein piece.  I think the most cogent part is his citation of Dave Weigel:
Over at Right Now, Dave Weigel offers  up the generous and, I think, correct interpretation of Paul's opposition to the parts of the Civil Rights Act that desegregated private businesses. "Paul believes, as many conservatives believe, that the government should ban bias in all of its institutions but cannot intervene in the policies of private businesses." And Weigel is right that this is not an unknown belief among conservatives: I've had this argument with some of my libertarian friends, and libertarians occasionally have this argument among one another.

Klein goes on to conclude that Paul is not necessarily a racist, but an ideological extremist.  Interesting way of looking at it.

TRX, just out of curiosity (and you can PM me if you'd rather not say out loud) which businesses in Astoria do you think practice segregation?  Oh geez, I've gotten three thumbs down so far just for asking what people thought of the primaries without even interjecting my own opinion.  Either I am that much of a polarizing figure on Astorians, or the helmets are strapped on extra tight today.

Offline kempsternyc

• Senator
I've been trying to wrap my mind around the Rand Paul "controversy".

When it comes to discrimination by a business, I can see where Rand Paul comes from in this way.

At Barnes and Noble we discriminate in favor of those that purchase for 25 dollars a members card. They get 20% off of adult hardcover and get email coupons for 15% on a single item among other perks. Those that do not pay the 25 dollars do not get the same perks. The emails nonmembers get are for just 10%. And the company does that to build loyalty. And studies have proved that owners of the Members Card spends more money on the average. And we are obviously discriminating.

And Paul Rand would say that the government should not be able to order Barnes and Noble to give the same discount to every customer.

I think the problem for Paul Rand is he stumbled into an area that is clearly settled law and also involves a very painful period of our history. And I'm really puzzled as to why.

Offline kempsternyc

• Senator
Just one further thought on controlling business.

I know that NYC is trying to control the amount of salt a restaurant adds to dishes.....to me that is stupid and silly....but than again, a part of me supports controlling/taxing high fructose corn syrup sodas.

I'm not sure where to divide the line and am curious what others think.

ps....bill, I'm not sure why you were neg nodded....but I love this thread. We are having a great conversation!

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life