relax

Author Topic: We want to hear from you!  (Read 2502 times)

Offline mjmurphy

• Citizen
We want to hear from you!
« on: April 27, 2010, 04:53:28 PM »
Out Astoria welcomes input from our community. Please share your ideas for events and activities you'd like to see Out Astoria offering our membership. We're listening!

Michael Murphy
Events Director
---
Politics is the art of the possible. Progressivism is the art of expanding what's possible.

Offline pastor paul

• Resident
Re: We want to hear from you!
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 08:06:49 PM »
Michael, I sent this information to Dirk and will try to paste it here.  Would be interested in going to it, and will think about a church trip, but OUT Astorians might like it.  What you think?

My name is Carol Carpenter and I'm a playwright, a gay woman, and a Christian who re-found the love of God through the support my evangelical parents -- who stood up for me and my rights in our small conservative town after I came out of the closet. I've written a play about my family struggling through these issues: a play that examines issues of faith and love while celebrating the strength of family to overcome. I would like to invite anyone in your congregation who may be interested to attend.
The show runs from June 4 - June 26. Tickets for $18 can be found at: http://www.planetconnectionsfestivity.com/shows/good-lonely-people or at http://www.mtworks.org.

Blessings,
Carol
I'd be interested, know nothing about it, but interested none the less.
Pastor Paul B Milholland - Trinity Lutheran - The Welcome Place

Offline mjmurphy

• Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 09:03:08 PM »
Hi Paul,

We discussed that event but we feel it doesn't fall under our purview since it isn't happening in Astoria, LIC, or Sunnyside (our area of operations) nor is it being staged by an Astoria/LIC/Sunnyside-based institution. Additionally, I had personal reservations due to the explicitly religious content--though that was not the prevailing opinion among the other board members. I appreciate the suggestion though and hope you will continue to keep us in mind.

Thanks,

Michael
---
Politics is the art of the possible. Progressivism is the art of expanding what's possible.

Offline pastor paul

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 11:19:45 PM »
Obviously it is of interest to me, given my profession!  LOL

How can I be of help to folks?  I am not looking to prosyletize (spelling) but to be friends with folks and fellowship with people as well.  If someone needs/wants to chat about spiritual matters, that is beyond the organization and I am free to do it at other times.

My son, Kell, is also gay and very interested in connecting with other young adults in the area.

Please keep us informed and let us know about events, etc.  We REALLY are excited about being here.

Peace
Paul

Offline mjmurphy

• Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 05:30:45 PM »
You and your son are always welcome at any OA events, Paul. And we'd love to hear any (secular) suggestions for community service opportunities. I'm sure many of our members will appreciate your religious guidance outside OA's realm and I know several are members of your church.

If you're on Facebook, I suggest connecting with us there to keep up with our latest goings on: http://www.facebook.com/OutAstoriaPage

You can also email our Communications Director, Chap Day, at communications@outastoria.com to receive our monthly newsletter.

Best,

Michael
---

Offline ddanny999

• Activist
  • Residential Evil 4
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 06:26:30 PM »
I would love to see a hosted art exhibition and sale.  Jackson Heights and Long Island City has an established arts community and it would be fun to see local Astoria artists display and sell their work.

Offline deaghaidh

• Citizen
    • Deaghaidh Recipes
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 07:57:45 PM »
ddanny,

That would be a very neat project to work on!  I will forward that information to the board.

Chap
Communications for
OUT Astoria
communications@outastoria.com

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life