relax

Author Topic: Jeremiah Frei-Pearson Campaign Rally  (Read 1141 times)

Offline ddanny999

• Activist
  • Residential Evil 4
Jeremiah Frei-Pearson Campaign Rally
« on: April 26, 2010, 08:39:22 PM »
I decided to go see and hear Jeremiah Frei-Pearson at his campaign rally this evening to see what he is about.  The event was moved to a pub on Steinway Street at the last minute because of the pouring rain.

As soon as people got in the door, his volunteers were asking people to fill in a contact sheet that they can later be contacted later for support or to volunteer.  I just wanted to sit and listen to what he had to say.

For about an hour there were stage performers singing Broadway songs, the crowd numbered about a hundred people.  I do not mean to generalize, but I had the impression that many of the supporters represented the LGBT community.

It also seemed most of his supporters were not long time residents, whereas Aravella Simotas supporters seem to be long time residents.  This is debatable of course.  I wonder if the Western Queens Gazette will devote as much coverage to Jeremiah's kickoff campaign as they did with Aravella's kickoff campaign.  Put another way, I wonder if the Gazette will even cover Jeremiah's campaign.

Interestingly, I saw a few faces that I normally see at the Powhatan Democratic Club.  The leadership of the club is endorsing Aravella Simotas but without the benefit for members to get to know both candidates at the club itself.

When Jeremiah finally spoke, he covered these topics:

-- A broken and corrupt system in Albany, his support for term limits and the financial mess in New York.
-- His representation of Power for the People that resulted in a financial settlement and apology from Con-Ed including rebates for affected residents from the blackout
-- His experiences as an attorney representing the needs of children in the court system
-- His support of marriage equality
-- His support for better education and need for more hospitals
-- His support of President Obama and shifting change for progressive Democrats

Jeremiah spoke in generalities about the issues, but I wanted to hear specifics.  I am not a fan of political rallies because to me what matters are the issues.  However the outcome, the right candidate should win on the basis of a plan to address problems.  And I don't care about who is endorsing whom.

Offline sting55

• Citizen
Re: Jeremiah Frei-Pearson Campaign Rally
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 08:59:01 PM »
thanks for the update. He supports Obama ? Why then did he chose to skip voting in the election ? I just dont buy it. Thoughts ?

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life