relax

Author Topic: Let's get a more centrally located/weekend greenmarket in Astoria  (Read 2387 times)

Offline abs1224

• Resident
Hello
We may have a ton of CSA's but our only greenmarket is all the way on 14th Street and is only open during wednesdays during the day.
Our neighborhood could really use a new greenmarket!
I have no idea where to begin this process but was hoping to get some others on board and move from there.
email me if you are interested and/or know where to begin.
thanks
- abby

Offline kempsternyc

• Senator
  • Me in a bowler hat and nowhere to go.
Re: Let's get a more centrally located/weekend greenmarket in Astoria
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 12:38:27 AM »
While I do stop by the Union Square Greenmarket every couple of weeks, I find that the vegetable stands we have on the main shopping drags, mine being 30th Ave are well sticked enough not to need a Greenmarket on a regular basis.....

How do others feel?
I love talking about nothing father, it is the only thing I know anything about -

Lord Goring "An Ideal Husband"

Offline essen

• Governor
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 01:50:46 AM »
Well the appeal of the greenmarkets is generally the fact that the stuff is grown locally and in season, virtually guaranteeing that whatever you buy will be at its peak. It would be nice to have a local market that sells that stuff rather than bothering with flavorless tomatoes and nasty looking, out-of-season artichokes. But otherwise, it's not such a big deal to head down to Union Square every so often, and we are pretty lucky in Astoria to have the selection we do have, and at generally great prices too. One time a couple years ago I headed over to Astoria's greenmarket on a Wednesday, and while, for me, it wasn't worth the walk to do it again, I noticed that the people who live over there don't have the same options most of the rest of us do in our more central location. Basically, the people who live out there need it more than I do.

Offline kempsternyc

• Senator
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 02:21:20 AM »
Well the appeal of the greenmarkets is generally the fact that the stuff is grown locally and in season, virtually guaranteeing that whatever you buy will be at its peak. It would be nice to have a local market that sells that stuff rather than bothering with flavorless tomatoes and nasty looking, out-of-season artichokes. But otherwise, it's not such a big deal to head down to Union Square every so often, and we are pretty lucky in Astoria to have the selection we do have, and at generally great prices too. One time a couple years ago I headed over to Astoria's greenmarket on a Wednesday, and while, for me, it wasn't worth the walk to do it again, I noticed that the people who live over there don't have the same options most of the rest of us do in our more central location. Basically, the people who live out there need it more than I do.

Yep, that's how I feel too.

In defense of tomatoes though.....when the meaty Beefsteak tomatoes come into season, I can easily find them on 30th Ave. But, I do agree that at times we are stuck with what the importers have from South america.
I love talking about nothing father, it is the only thing I know anything about -

Offline Yaxpac

• Mayor
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 10:52:48 AM »
Personally, I would make the walk over to the current location if it was on the weekend.  I wouldn't mind it at all.  It is just impossible for me to get there at the current day/time that they have it. 

Offline Harlan

• Governor
  • Lemon Pistachios
    • Photos...
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 01:11:54 PM »
Someone can correct me, but I believe that prior efforts to get a Greenmarket set up at Athens Park (on 30th Ave) were met with resistance from the nearby greengrocers. There aren't very many good locations in Astoria for this sort of thing, sadly...

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 02:10:02 PM »
Yes, Harlan is right - the 30th Ave Business association told us they'd do all they could to stop a Greenmarket from coming to Athens Park.  I personally am not that enthused about that location for a greenmarket, so I'm not totally sad about that not working out.  Also, the Q69's route looks not far from the current greenmarket location.

I'd love to see one in Astoria Park, frankly, but I also understand the problems associated with that location (proximity to the train, for one).  A big parking lot would be a decent space, like at Most Precious Blood.  Ideally, it should be available to both the R and N lines.

I'd also like to see something like the Greenpoint Food Market come to Astoria - lots of people selling locally made goods, from sweets, to kimchee, to jams, to empanadas.  It takes place in a church basement, so it has a kind of 1970s bake sale vibe to it.  It is so cool - you should check it out if you can.  It's an easy bus ride from QP to Nassau Street in Gpt, and a short walk.  It happens once a month or so.  Last month they had a guy serving momofuku-style pork buns and cucumber salad!

Offline belle

• Council Member
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 02:44:12 PM »
2-3 yrs ago a group on here started a petition to get it going. We went to all the CSAs to get signatures and had hundreds, but I'm not sure what happened beyond that. Harlan is right tho. Not only are the 30th ave greengrocers against, but many of them (and their friends) sit on CB1 and would vote it down in a heartbeat (I asked them personally trying to let them know that rather than drive business, and since they don't offer much local/organic, there would not be competition and it would end up like Union Sq. and be a huge draw.). I think partnering with a church is best. Trinity or Precious Blood both have parking lots and the greengrocers and CB1 can't fight you if you go to church property!

Offline NYCMacUser

• President
  • Bippidi Boppidi Boo!
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 08:33:42 PM »
Trinity or Precious Blood both have parking lots and the greengrocers and CB1 can't fight you if you go to church property!
Trinity is getting a new Pastor. Perhaps leaders of the CSAs could engage the conversation with him. It would be a G-d sent thing for the Community.
Women are like teabags.
We don't know our true strength
until we are in hot water! â€”Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 09:20:51 PM »
Trinity is getting a new Pastor. Perhaps leaders of the CSAs could engage the conversation with him. It would be a G-d sent thing for the Community.

Trinity is an excellent location - I guess I didn't realize it had a parking lot.

Offline belle

• Council Member
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2010, 12:03:31 AM »
The new pastor arrives in May. I want to meet with him about another food issue and I'll bring it up. Pastor Church (the old pastor) was a member of Astoria CSA so hopefully this new one will share the vision!

Offline kempsternyc

• Senator
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2010, 12:21:56 AM »
The new pastor arrives in May. I want to meet with him about another food issue and I'll bring it up. Pastor Church (the old pastor) was a member of Astoria CSA so hopefully this new one will share the vision!

ya know, i'm kinda tempted to walk into a church for my first time in 5 years when Pastor Paul finally shows up.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life