relax

Author Topic: Will the racism, vitriol and nastiness escalate and where will we wind up?  (Read 25685 times)

Offline Sweeper

• Mayor
Re: Will the racism, vitriol and nastiness escalate and where will we wind up?
« Reply #135 on: January 24, 2011, 12:17:32 PM »
This vitriol and nastiness towards Wal-Mart has caused more deaths:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41224768/ns/us_news/

All you anti Wal Mart people should mind your rhetoric. How many more people need to die just because you don't like Wal Mart?

Offline Pinnochio

• Activist
« Reply #136 on: January 24, 2011, 12:43:26 PM »
You're joking, right?

Offline Billz1981

• Senator
« Reply #137 on: January 24, 2011, 03:08:12 PM »
You're joking, right?

I can't speak for Sweeper, but I am pretty sure he is using satire to highlight how silly the knee-jerk response to the Arizona tragedy was.  ;-)

Offline kempsternyc

• Senator
  • Me in a bowler hat and nowhere to go.
« Reply #138 on: January 25, 2011, 10:34:48 AM »
I thought about posting tht story to the Wal-Mart thread.
I love talking about nothing father, it is the only thing I know anything about -

Lord Goring "An Ideal Husband"

Offline Sweeper

• Mayor
« Reply #139 on: February 23, 2011, 12:50:12 PM »
I am glad that Debbie started this subject.  It really is becoming more and more pertinent every day:

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/145627-dem-lawmaker-on-labor-protests-get-a-little-bloody-when-necessary

This does not seem to be a metaphor either.

Offline AlexNYC

• Senator
« Reply #140 on: February 23, 2011, 08:51:52 PM »
It sounds like a metaphor to me, but he shouldn't have worded it the way he did. That said, the threat of violence and vitriol has been mainly from the right, especially since Obama was elected president.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/23/indiana-official-shoot-protesters_n_827389.html

"An Indiana deputy attorney general "is no longer employed" by the state after Mother Jones magazine reported he tweeted that police should to use live ammunition against Wisconsin labor protesters, the attorney general's office said Wednesday."

Offline Billz1981

• Senator
« Reply #141 on: February 23, 2011, 11:20:01 PM »
It sounds like a metaphor to me, but he shouldn't have worded it the way he did. That said, the threat of violence and vitriol has been mainly from the right, especially since Obama was elected president.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/23/indiana-official-shoot-protesters_n_827389.html

"An Indiana deputy attorney general "is no longer employed" by the state after Mother Jones magazine reported he tweeted that police should to use live ammunition against Wisconsin labor protesters, the attorney general's office said Wednesday."

Yes, it was unfortunate that his direct call for violence was interpreted as a direct call for violence.   :roll:  Give me a break.  If Sarah Palin or someone on the right had said the same thing, you would rush to judgment so quickly you'd get whiplash.

Surely when you cite the incontrovertible fact that the threat of violence has been mainly from the right, you are citing a study or have some proof, right?  You wouldn't just be making a snap declaration based on your personal politics?  For every story you find of someone on the right doing or saying something stupid, I can find you one of someone on the left.  Example: http://dailycaller.com/2011/02/23/union-thug-assaults-tabitha-hale/

Sorry to disappoint, given your thesis that the right has a monopoly on violent actions.  I'm afraid there is no particular monopoly on stupidity in this country.

Offline Speebs

• Running for Mayor
  • recidivist transit grinder
« Reply #142 on: February 23, 2011, 11:36:07 PM »
Are you guys talking about the "bloody" metaphor?  I interpreted that as the "blood, sweat and tears" kind of blood (ie. your own) and not blood shed by others.

Offline Billz1981

• Senator
« Reply #143 on: February 23, 2011, 11:39:27 PM »
Are you guys talking about the "bloody" metaphor?  I interpreted that as the "blood, sweat and tears" kind of blood (ie. your own) and not blood shed by others.

Could be taken that way, sure.  But he said that every once in a while you need to "go into the streets and get a little bloody" in reference to the union activities in Wisconsin.  A siege which literally HAS turned violent.

Offline Speebs

• Running for Mayor
  • recidivist transit grinder
« Reply #144 on: February 23, 2011, 11:42:20 PM »
Could be taken that way, sure.  But he said that every once in a while you need to "go into the streets and get a little bloody" in reference to the union activities in Wisconsin.  A siege which literally HAS turned violent.

I still don't read it that way, and the article mentions nothing about any violence in Wisconsin.  I didn't know about it (I should have) so taken in the context of the article it seems pretty harmless.

Offline Billz1981

• Senator
« Reply #145 on: February 24, 2011, 05:10:25 PM »
James Taranto at the Wall Street Journal has a great column today about the violent rhetoric surrounding the labor siege in Wisconsin: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703408604576164391424480436.html?mod=djemBestOfTheWeb_h

He notes that SEIU has endorsed a new Dropkick Murphy's song written in support of Wisconsin labor, the lyrics of which include:
    When the boss comes callin' we gotta organize

Let em know
    We gotta take the bastards down
    Let them know
    We gotta smash them to the ground
    Let em know
    We gotta take the bastards down

Taranto also wryly cites Andy McCarthy who wrote in the National Review Online today "public-sector employees work for us--they are not beaten down by 'the man,'..."

Offline Sweeper

• Mayor
« Reply #146 on: September 05, 2011, 02:36:18 PM »
More "metaphors" from James Hoffa.
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2011/09/05/jimmy_hoffa_at_obama_event_on_gop_lets_take_these_son_of_bitches_out.html

I wonder if he means "take them out" like on a date.
I for one am enjoying the new tone that our betters have lectured us on, let's see if the NY Times has space to address this rhetoric.

Offline Sweeper

• Mayor
« Reply #147 on: September 05, 2011, 06:27:48 PM »
At least the VP is keeping the high ground:

http://www.hapblog.com/2011/09/biden-at-afl-cio-rally-you-are-only.html

So has war been declared? Something must be done about these barbarians. If only he could be more clear on defining barbarianism.

Offline kempsternyc

• Senator
« Reply #148 on: September 05, 2011, 09:46:52 PM »

So has war been declared?

Yeah, by the Koch brothers........

Enjoying the destruction of the American Middle Class.

Go Wisconsin!!!!!!
I love talking about nothing father, it is the only thing I know anything about -

Offline kempsternyc

• Senator
« Reply #149 on: September 06, 2011, 10:27:48 PM »
From Charles Koch himself......

this is the Mother of All Wars we've got in the next 18 months. For the life or death of this country. So, I'm not going to do this to put any pressure on anyone here, mind you. This is not pressure. But if this makes your heart feel glad and you want to be more forthcoming, then so be it.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life