relax

Author Topic: Angry about the healthcare bill?  (Read 13774 times)

Offline enigmacat

• Governor
  • I am not a minion of evil. I am upper management.
Re: Angry about the healthcare bill?
« Reply #75 on: April 01, 2010, 02:47:07 PM »
I have.

Not having insurance meant that I delayed seeking medical attention for what turned out to be a serious health issue. If I'd waited another year or two, it could have been much worse - harder to treat, more expensive, more difficult recovery.

Luckily I did get insurance and got it checked out and got the care I needed.

Offline essen

• Running for Governor
« Reply #76 on: April 01, 2010, 09:59:49 PM »
I'd be curious to know if anyone reading this discussion has ever lived without medical insurance.  Anyone?  And if so, how did it affect you?

I did for a bit before I got Healthy NY a few years ago. I was considered a freelancer even though I worked full time at a company, which meant I got no benefits. Luckily I had no health problems that required a doctor visit during that time, because if I did, for one thing I wouldn't have been able to afford much treatment, and for another thing I knew that it would become a pre-existing condition that I wouldn't be able to get coverage for once I did get health insurance. So if I did start to feel sick, like enigmacat, I probably wouldn't have gone to the doctor until it became so bad I knew it was something serious. It sucks to live that way.

No matter how generally healthy anyone is, you never know when something's going to happen- accidents, disease, etc. Soon after I got Healthy NY (which I qualified for because I was poor, but not poor enough for Medicaid) I had to get outpatient surgery for a minor thing that would've cost me something like $3000 if my insurance hadn't been there to pay for it. And that's not counting the doctors' appointments, ultrasounds, and follow-up visits that came along with it. My Healthy NY premiums jumped 20% after my first year, to about 10% of my measly salary. $220 per month is a lot of money for someone who makes under $25,000 a year, and that was the approximate cut-off at that time to qualify for it.

But I still paid for it because the alternative - going bankrupt if you get seriously ill or injured - is bullshit.

Offline daisy

• President
« Reply #77 on: April 01, 2010, 10:08:50 PM »
I have as well.  I happen to work as an animator.  The field of animation is by nature a freelance business.  The majority of us bounce from job to job, because the entertainment business is not the traditional steady job most everyone else has.  We work on commercials, television series, movies, etc, and when the project finishes, we finish.  When a show goes on hiatus, we are "laid off".  Most of the time, it does not mean we are hired back, and it's a long time to wait to get hired back.  So you find other work.  If we are lucky enough to get insurance from one of our gigs, it will end when the project ends.  I have been in this business for over 10 years.  I love what I do.  I do not want to give it up.  But it is a tradeoff.  Not having access to regular, steady, quality, and affordable health care insurance is a real hardship.  Over the course of my career, I have had so many different insurance plans, I can't remember.  Some from employers, some from the freelancer's union, and some from Healthy NY.  And sometimes I've gone without.  I hate it.  I wish I didn't have to search every year for a new health care plan.  I wish I had a normal job sometimes.  I wish just that health insurance were more affordable in this country.  Why must I walk around in fear that if I get sick, that I will go bankrupt because my health insurance is non-existent or a crappy plan?  It's all nice when you work for a company that provides you with insurance, but when you are like the thousands out there like me, it is very difficult.  I am not ashamed to say that right now, I am on a government program called Healthy NY that subsidizes my health insurance plan.  It's not the greatest plan in the world but it's better than nothing.  And it's not cheap, even with the subsidy.   I won't qualify for this next year, most likely, and once again, I'll be up s___'s creek.  I'll have to search around again, to find something that will cover me.  I can't tell you how much I hate dealing with this year after year.  

As it stands right now, I'm not even sure this health care reform will help me.  It's been whittled down so much and I might not even qualify for a subsidy.  To me, this reform is just a start.

Offline billyboy

• Activist
« Reply #78 on: April 02, 2010, 08:03:12 AM »
I'd be curious to know if anyone reading this discussion has ever lived without medical insurance.  Anyone?  And if so, how did it affect you?

I haven't had medical insurance since the mid-90s and feel fine.  Have done a lot of freelance/temp editing/admin gigs over the years and never made sense to me to drop $200/month for what read like very shoddy plans.  And now that I'm at a position where I could have health care, I opt out because even on a group plan, it's highway robbery.  (Two of my coworkers with two kids are actively seeking other employment after seeing the unbelievable rise in the company's group plan over the past three years.)

I haven't been in a hospital either since I was 12 (for a dog bite, in mid-40s now).  After seeing how hospitals and doctors (mis)handled my father passing from cancer, and countless horror stories of ill-advised and sometimes negligent treatment from many others, I'm no fan of the healthcare system.  I live "smartly" ... don't do risky things like ride motorycles or ski, work out 5-6 times a week, eat right, sleep well, take vitamins, have a positive attitude.  My family history has not been geared towards unhealthy people.  Accidents?  Sure, I think about that sometimes, but don't dwell on it.  From what I've seen of hospitals, if I broke my leg, I'd be more prone to getting a baseball bat and duct tape to treat it myself.  I don’t get sick – have had that mental edict for decades now, and have to believe there’s something to it.

Not too crazy about either option here -- socialized care or what we have now.  But I probably lean more towards a more socialized system.  With a mother in her mid-70s, I’m seeing how she’s a dollar sign to so many people in the healthcare system … it’s disgusting how much she gets charged on Medicaid and how doctors over-prescribe, over-treat, try to horn her into every appointment/treatment/drug possible.  (She had gallstones removed last year … a two-day visit … that cost $40,000!)  Half her friends are dead, which is what happens in your 70s.  There’s just such a culture of fear, intimidation and co-dependence tied into this issue that I feel fine walking away from it.  Call me a luddite, but I look at way people lived a century ago, not hung up on this issue, and their lives seemed a lot better in that sense.  I know there’s a level of BS in all this – people do get genuinely ill or injured – but my system has been working fine all my life, and I make it a point not to put myself in harm’s way.

Offline Sweeper

• Mayor
« Reply #79 on: April 02, 2010, 11:11:10 AM »
But wait there is one more thing. All Major Medical family policies currently being written carry a per person maximum. Let's say $100,000.

But I would never opt for such a low limit. it would defeat the purpose. I would probably go for a no cap or a $5M cap.

Now lets change your kid's broken leg to a leukemia. You'll spend that $100,000 very quickly.

Horrible things happen to people. This is a great example of how to use an emotional reaction to obtain a desired result.

You will become just another statistic of a middle class family going into poverty trying to pay back all the medical expenses for the rest of your lives and all of you being denied any medical coverage for the rest of your lives because of preexisting conditions.

If all these thing happened as layed out, paying for health would be the least of my worries.

Aren't you willing to understand that there are 45,000,000, that's Forty-Five-Million men, women and children who don't have coverage from their employers.

There is no such thing as a willingness to understand. Either there are 45 million uninsured or not. Since the number from the census bureau includes people from other countries who happened to be here at the time, and that number is estimated at 10 million, I would think the uninsured Americans numbers would be less. (Sorry for the run on sentence). Also, the survey asked if you were uninsured during the last year. Since the last four posters were without sometime during the year, they are included. As am I and my family, since I switched jobs last August and went one month without insurance.

Can't we just take a wait-and-see on the new health care bill.

Don't have much of a choice here.

What do we have to lose?

This one is simple. We are broke. We cannot afford a new entitlement program.

I fully respect your knowledge, and passion, on this issue. It is obvious that you have read more about this than the vast majority of our population.
But greater government is not the answer. We have such a convoluted mixture of state and federals regulations, working hand in glove with the insurance industry. The only thing that will increase access to quality health care is greater competition and efficiency. Something this government is just awful at.

Offline NYCMacUser

• President
  • Bippidi Boppidi Boo!
« Reply #80 on: April 02, 2010, 01:04:33 PM »
But I would never opt for such a low limit. it would defeat the purpose. I would probably go for a no cap or a $5M cap.
I had to smile when I read this. First of all, there is no such thing as a no cap Major Medical policy. If, and quite frankly that is a HUGE if, you could find a carrier that would underwrite you a $5,000 per person per illness $5M cap policy they would probably rate it at $5,000–$7,500 per month. Certainly not an affordable option.

It is such a shame that people had their minds made up prior to even learning what the legislation contained.

I lived for 3 years without health insurance. It was a nightmare. I had a 7 year old intractable asthmatic son and a son with Vascular Headache Syndrome. My medical bills had me in constant debt. Between the pharmaceuticals, the ER visits, the regular doctor visits . . . I maxed out 3 credit cards to trying to keep our heads above the proverbial muck! I ache for anyone that has to go through that.

Living a healthy lifestyle has never had any effect on cancer, kidney failure, MS, glaucoma, PTSD, early onset Alzheimer's, Hyperlipidemia, Parkinson's Disease . . . should I go on?
Women are like teabags.
We don't know our true strength
until we are in hot water! —Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline Sweeper

• Mayor
« Reply #81 on: April 02, 2010, 01:59:48 PM »
carrier that would underwrite you a $5,000 per person per illness $5M cap policy they would probably rate it at $5,000–$7,500 per month. Certainly not an affordable option.

The policies that I have seen seem to have $5M as a pretty standard cap. In fact, it is what I have right now. And the cost for those policies are about 1/10 of what you have. That is affordable.

Living a healthy lifestyle has never had any effect on cancer, kidney failure, MS, glaucoma, PTSD, early onset Alzheimer's, Hyperlipidemia, Parkinson's Disease . . . should I go on?

You could, but what would be the point. We have a fundamentally different view of the role of government. I think they are too involved as it is. And that is a major reason why our current system sucks.

Offline NYCMacUser

• President
  • Bippidi Boppidi Boo!
« Reply #82 on: April 02, 2010, 02:18:57 PM »
The policies that I have seen seem to have $5M as a pretty standard cap. In fact, it is what I have right now. And the cost for those policies are about 1/10 of what you have. That is affordable.
What you have now is a group policy without a high ($5,000) per illness per person coinsurance.

We have a fundamentally different view of the role of government. I think they are too involved as it is. And that is a major reason why our current system sucks.
OUCH! Personally, I hate capitalism. But what system do you like better?
Women are like teabags.

Offline Debbie

• Senator
« Reply #83 on: April 06, 2010, 07:12:40 PM »
Sweeper - pray you never get really sick.  Whether you have insurance or not, with our current system you are f----d.  Not sure how old you are but as you approach your mid-50's stuff starts happening - even if you eat right and exercise.

Offline NYCMacUser

• President
  • Bippidi Boppidi Boo!
« Reply #84 on: April 06, 2010, 09:49:35 PM »
Sweeper - pray you never get really sick.  Whether you have insurance or not, with our current system you are f----d.  Not sure how old you are but as you approach your mid-50's stuff starts happening - even if you eat right and exercise.
And no matter if you think you are financially prepared to take the hit of a major illness, you are not. My Dad's final illness (Alzheimer's) left my Mom hundreds-of-thousands-of-dollars in debt. The crappiest nursing home/rehab facility can cost upwards of $12,000 per month after your insurance days are used up. Not many people can afford that.
Women are like teabags.

Offline Billz1981

• Senator
« Reply #85 on: April 27, 2010, 04:46:19 PM »
I sure do have a source, actually!  You know who is a really great source for that sort of story is James Taranto at the Wall Street Journal.  If you're not familiar with James, he's a columnist who writes a daily "Best of the Web."  In it, he picks his favorite news stories from the day and does a logical deconstruction of them.  He regularly chronicles such stories under the heading "Great Moments in Socialized Medicine." He's got sort of an acerbic wit and always notes he is glad that such stories are "false."  He provides the original links to the news articles so you can view them for yourself and not just his column, which is decidedly biased.  I have pasted below such an excerpt from his March 8, 2010 column.  As his links were not preserved in my pasted excerpt, you can view the original with news links to the papers in question here: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703936804575108580191194318.html

James Taranto had another "Great Moments in Socialized Medicine" offering in his column today, and it made me think of this conversation:

Great Moments in Socialized Medicine
"A devastated daughter has accused [Prime Minister] Gordon Brown of betraying the elderly today after her elderly mother died 'wallowing in filth' in an NHS hospital," reports London's Daily Mail:

Clara Stokes, 84, who was honoured in 2008 by the Prime Minister for her work as a Land Girl during the Second World War, was left partially paralysed by a massive stroke in December 2009.

Her daughter Elle Chambers, 57, claims her mother's subsequent care at Luton and Dunstable Hospital was 'inhumane' and 'not fit for dogs'.

The case is acutely embarrassing for Labour just days before the general election.

Brown has an easy defense. All he has to do is quote former Enron adviser Paul Krugman: "In Britain, the government itself runs the hospitals and employs the doctors. We've all heard scare stories about how that works in practice; these stories are false."

Offline TRX

• Governor
  • It only makes me laugh
    • http://www.lp.org
« Reply #86 on: June 06, 2010, 01:25:32 PM »

I dont think too many here are angry, probably not until costs are actually realized. It seems also expected costs are underestimated.
This is from CNBC, Reuters, so with some salt (not too much)

http://www.cnbc.com/id/37451253

Soaring Costs Force Canada to Reassess Health Model

Life, Liberty, Happiness (pursuit of) and pasta

Offline QMC

• Campaigning for Council
There is no such thing as a stupid question
There are, however, many inquisitive idiots :)

Offline QMC

• Campaigning for Council
« Reply #88 on: July 25, 2010, 12:37:11 AM »
There is no such thing as a stupid question
There are, however, many inquisitive idiots :)

Offline Debbie

• Senator
« Reply #89 on: July 25, 2010, 08:20:48 AM »
My sister pays $2,000 per month for shots that my niece (juvenile rheumatoid arthritis)  because this was deemed as a 'pre-existing condition'.  This is going to change and I am happy about this part of the bill.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life