relax

Author Topic: Astorians -- Do you want health care reform or the status quo? Close Vote!  (Read 4649 times)

Offline JLCC03

• Citizen
If you live in Astoria and think our Congress should reform Health Insurance please act now.  It's a very close vote.  Raise your voice.  Call Rep. Carol Mahoney right now.

http://advocacy.barackobama.com/healthcare/campaigns/18/call_scripts/60/call_sessions/new?district=NY14&cd=NY14&source=20100319_FM_E_A

Offline Sweeper

• Mayor
Also, if you think that it's a good idea to mandate YOU must have health insurance or face a fine contact her.
And you think that it's a swell idea to further destroy the financial well being of this country, let her know.
And if you think that it is just swell to use deem and scheme to grab control of another huge chunk of the economy, give her a ring.

Maybe I shouldn't be so against it. After all is the twenty-somethings who will be hurt the most by this. But don't tell them that. It will be our little secret.

Offline kempsternyc

• Senator
  • Me in a bowler hat and nowhere to go.
ummmmm. Rep Maloney is a progressive and will vote the way Sweeper doesn't want. Because he is evidently fine with 40, 000 Americans dying a year because they lack health care
I love talking about nothing father, it is the only thing I know anything about -

Lord Goring "An Ideal Husband"

Offline NYCMacUser

• President
  • Bippidi Boppidi Boo!
Search the bill for things of interest to you.

Women are like teabags.
We don't know our true strength
until we are in hot water! —Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline AlexNYC

• Senator
Mandating that people buy into health care that doesn't include a public option will only give more money and power to the insurance companies. The bill does little to control the cost of escalating premiums. Either include a public option or take out the mandate.

Offline Harlan

• Governor
  • Lemon Pistachios
    • Photos...
Mandating that people buy into health care that doesn't include a public option will only give more money and power to the insurance companies. The bill does little to control the cost of escalating premiums. Either include a public option or take out the mandate.

The good thing about the outcome, assuming the bill passes, is that adding the public option in, in a few years, once it becomes clear that it's a good idea, is pretty easy.

This said, for-profit insurance companies make health care 20% or so more expensive, but they're not really to blame for the ridiculously high rate of increase. That has as much to do with the way doctors and larger health-provider companies (hospitals, clinics) are paid for services as anything else...

Offline CW

• Resident

This is my issue with the current plan. While it began with good intentions, the insurance company lobbyists have gotten it watered down to the point where it is just a big giveaway to the insurance companies. They throw around so much money, that without campaign finance reform or term limits there is no way that a public option will ever pass.

Offline TRX

• Governor
  • It only makes me laugh
    • http://www.lp.org
Re: Astorians -- Do you want health care reform or less mandates? Close !
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 12:30:18 PM »

This vote has a lot of stark choices. But the debate also poses many false ones. I know there are doctors who voluntarily give treatment to the uninsured who would be opposed to this bill. Will we see a noticeable change of death rates after a bill may pass?

It is a difficult vote because it is not like the status quo or current situation is such a positive one. In the end, this may be a positive for the millions who do not have insurance. Some who do have insurance might like the change. Would we see less heath related bankruptices?
I do not believe overall that this will be an economic positive. If it is, great.

The issue is a heavy one. I have one friend that works for a private hospital that works on a business model independent of govt support.
I have another friend that probably would not be alive if it were not for govt health funding.

From my readings, the major change that would take place is that children would be treated even if they had preexisting conditions.

Do you really think representatives would be more honest with campaign reforms and term limits? I would hope so. At least more might have to live outside of the perks of office. Voters should be free to vote for candidates that do not take insurance funding.
There is reporting showing lobbyist money and how folks are voting. I think plenty have received lobbying but will still vote for it.
Also interesting, some reps receive many calls against it, but often districts have close to 50% support for the reforms.

I am curious which states will have the most support for the reforms, my guess is that it will be urban centers with high populations.

Hopefully many considered this letter:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/03/17/AR2010031701496.html

I urge you simply to cast the vote you can be proud of next week, next year and for years to come. Given the opportunity, I wouldn't change my vote.

Life, Liberty, Happiness (pursuit of) and pasta

Offline Sweeper

• Mayor
Hopefully many considered this letter:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/03/17/AR2010031701496.html

I urge you simply to cast the vote you can be proud of next week, next year and for years to come. Given the opportunity, I wouldn't change my vote.

Yes but the President at the time promised his own daughter in marriage to get that vote.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/11/30/chelsea-clinton-engaged-t_n_373652.html

Offline NYCMacUser

• President
  • Bippidi Boppidi Boo!
That has as much to do with the way doctors and larger health-provider companies (hospitals, clinics) are paid for services as anything else...
All insurance companies, including Medicare, have negotiated pricing. A Board Certified Thoracic Surgeon who performs a triple bypass is usually paid at a severely reduced rate while the hospital gets its fair share. My Retinologist gets paid (from Medicare) $700 to do bilateral cataract surgery and that fee includes 90 days of post-op visits. A Board Certified Veterinary Ophthalmologist gets $4500–$6000 for the exact same surgery on a 4-legged species and that only includes 1 post-op visit where 6 may be required.

I am also astounded that the average MD has somewhere around $300,000 worth of loans to repay by the time they achieve Board Certification to practice medicine at 30+ years of age.

The other problem that I recognize is that the pharmaceutical companies spend anywhere from $1B–$2B to bring a drug to market. They are already hampered by patent lives and now are going to be required to offer deep discounts to the needy. I understand the need, what I don't understand is how are these companies going to keep discovering new ways to save lives if they are not allowed to recoup their initial investment into research and development.
Women are like teabags.
We don't know our true strength
until we are in hot water! —Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline Clearview

• Council Member
ummmmm. Rep Maloney is a progressive and will vote the way Sweeper doesn't want. Because he is evidently fine with 40, 000 Americans dying a year because they lack health care
Hopefully, 40,000 won't die and the Bill dies instead

Offline Debbie

• Senator
There are two personal issues that I worry about and I am not sure whether this particular bill would address them:

Basically, I have insurance but, if my husband or I get a life threatening desease, I do not want to lose my home.  I have seen this happen to so many good people who 'liked' their health coverage until they got really sick!

Also, I would like for my sister's health insurance to cover the $2,000 per month that it costs for my nieces injections.  She has Juvenile arthritis and because it was 'pre-existing', no coverage!  Can you imagine?

People ask whether I am happy with my current coverage.  Well, I am happy with it up until the time I need medication or have some issue that requires extra attention.  They then find a way not to pay!

Offline kempsternyc

• Senator
There are two personal issues that I worry about and I am not sure whether this particular bill would address them:

Basically, I have insurance but, if my husband or I get a life threatening desease, I do not want to lose my home.  I have seen this happen to so many good people who 'liked' their health coverage until they got really sick!

Also, I would like for my sister's health insurance to cover the $2,000 per month that it costs for my nieces injections.  She has Juvenile arthritis and because it was 'pre-existing', no coverage!  Can you imagine?

People ask whether I am happy with my current coverage.  Well, I am happy with it up until the time I need medication or have some issue that requires extra attention.  They then find a way not to pay!

On the first issue, it may be a partial fix. You won't face a major life-threatening situation and get a call from your HMO saying you are dropped just as you are getting ready for the operation. Which has happened. In that sense, you will not have to face the choice of your house or surgery.

On the second issue, when the President signs the bill tomorrow, your niece can NEVER be denied coverage on her mom's insurance. That change will be made on day one.
I love talking about nothing father, it is the only thing I know anything about -

Offline FZ

• Running for Senate
  • Real Peace Comes After The Battle Is Won
First, they should have control of illegal immigration, which adds 10, 12 or more millions  of people  to programs who should not be here. They will be further exploited and we will pick up an even bigger bill than we do now. The middle class will get the biggest  hit from this ill advised  so-called  Health care bill. This is of course  just the first step to  single-payer  Euro-like horror public run health care. I  think they could have repaired  what was wrong without destroying a health care system which has produced  drugs and methods  used globally. This just further widens the chasm between left and right in this country, some uniter that Pres. Obama has turned out to be, pretty disappointed even though I didn;t vote for him. After all, it  is 'our' country and I was hoping I was  wrong about him and the democrat  party machine.

Offline kempsternyc

• Senator
This just further widens the chasm between left and right in this country, some uniter that Pres. Obama has turned out to be, pretty disappointed even though I didn;t vote for him. After all, it  is 'our' country and I was hoping I was  wrong about him and the democrat  party machine.

Kinda hard to unite with a group of people that yell n_____ and faggot doncha think?

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life