relax

Author Topic: Aravella Simotas and Jeremiah Frei-Pearson Discussion  (Read 53411 times)

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
Re: Aravella Simotas and Jeremiah Frei-Pearson Discussion
« Reply #540 on: July 19, 2010, 04:36:24 PM »
It would be nice to know when Aravella is publicly available, when public events are happening with her where people can come up and talk to her.  I guess I am out of the loop but she seems quite - physically - inaccessible.  How are her appearance announcements being distributed to the average Astorian?  Newspapers?  Website?  Mailing list?  Can someone please clarify this for me?  Thanks.

Offline mjmurphy

• Citizen
« Reply #541 on: July 19, 2010, 04:54:11 PM »
Aravella currently has a Meet & Greet/Fundraiser scheduled for Friday, July 23rd at 7pm at The Magic Carpet on 25-70 Steinway St. Presumably nobody would be turned away for an inability to pay the $20 minimum donation. It sounds like an excellent opportunity to get to know her.

Events like this are often posted to her Facebook Group or sent to group members:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=109377069083235

Her website has no option to sign up for mailings, but they've posted contact information:

33-09 23rd Avenue
Astoria, New York 11105

Tel: 718-606-2532

Email: FriendsOfAravella@gmail.com

I assume you could contact the campaign and ask to be included in the mailing list.
---
Politics is the art of the possible. Progressivism is the art of expanding what's possible.

Offline mjmurphy

• Citizen
« Reply #542 on: July 19, 2010, 04:56:31 PM »
And here is the Facebook Event Page for the Meet & Greet:

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=144162488931670
---
Politics is the art of the possible. Progressivism is the art of expanding what's possible.

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #543 on: July 19, 2010, 05:51:11 PM »
Thank you, mjmurphy!  This is very helpful information.  :mrgreen:

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #544 on: July 19, 2010, 06:19:25 PM »
It would be nice to know when Aravella is publicly available, when public events are happening with her where people can come up and talk to her.  I guess I am out of the loop but she seems quite - physically - inaccessible.  How are her appearance announcements being distributed to the average Astorian?  Newspapers?  Website?  Mailing list?  Can someone please clarify this for me?  Thanks.

I'd disagree that she's inaccessible - she's out campaigning every night.  I think she just has run in different circles and different groups than a lot of the folks on astorians.com and Jeremiah runs in a lot of the groups in which we all participate, so folks on astorians.com bump into him more often.  I go to church with Jeremiah, so I know I will see him at least once a week.

I encourage everyone to join Aravella on the 23rd - thanks Mjmurphy for posting the info!

Offline daisy

• President
« Reply #545 on: July 19, 2010, 09:28:03 PM »
I just got a flyer that Aravella will be going door to door in my Ditmars neighborhood this week to speak to me.  Not sure I'll end up being home but seems pretty cool.

Offline Sweeper

• Mayor
« Reply #546 on: July 19, 2010, 09:58:08 PM »
Events like this are often posted to her Facebook Group or sent to group members:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=109377069083235

Her website has no option to sign up for mailings, but they've posted contact information:

Thanks for the info. BTW are you the same M Murphy that the e-mail goes to because that would be just weird?
From her facebook page someone thanked CWA local 1180.  Will Ms. Simotas take a position on who she is willing to fight for in a battle between tax payers and public sector unions? Because that battle is brewing. And from where I stand, she is more than willing to take up the mantle of the public sector union over the tax payer.

Offline mjmurphy

• Citizen
« Reply #547 on: July 20, 2010, 12:17:50 AM »
There are lots of Mike Murphys. Jeremiah had me and Aravella has another one.
---

Offline StephanieL

• Running for Senate
« Reply #548 on: August 17, 2010, 10:46:26 AM »
It's now an unopposed race: Ciafone has dropped out.

Offline kempsternyc

• Senator
  • Me in a bowler hat and nowhere to go.
« Reply #549 on: August 17, 2010, 11:05:17 AM »
It's now an unopposed race: Ciafone has dropped out.

And then there was one................

No matter what, we still need to go vote. Congresswoman Maloney has a well funded opponent (based on the amount of mailings I've gotten from whatsherface).
I love talking about nothing father, it is the only thing I know anything about -

Lord Goring "An Ideal Husband"

Offline mjmurphy

• Citizen
« Reply #550 on: August 17, 2010, 11:45:08 AM »
For reference:

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/queens/2010/08/17/2010-08-17_simotas_lone_seatseeker.html

Ciafone was never remotely likely to win but it's still gratifying to now be absolutely certain that he won't be taking his regressive views to Albany on our behalf.
---

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #551 on: August 17, 2010, 01:32:19 PM »
yep, the seat will stay progressive.  we'll be keeping Carolyn too!  I haven't received any Reshma mailings lately - wondering when the last push will start.

Offline mangopaco

• Activist
  • mangopaco's chicken nugget
    • Dear Chicken Nugget
« Reply #552 on: August 25, 2010, 02:19:49 PM »
Anyone know Aravella's position on the mosque near Ground Zero?

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life