relax

Author Topic: Aravella Simotas and Jeremiah Frei-Pearson Discussion  (Read 54939 times)

Offline hellsgatetim

• Resident
Re: Early LGBT support for Simotas in Astoria
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2010, 03:23:55 PM »
New to the Board but not new to Astoria.  I ran into this woman at the Powhattan Club a month or so ago and she was great.  I think the issue is that while her and Jeremiah (who i have also met) are very similar on the LGBT issue and obviously Quinn, Van Bramer and Dromm agree and think she would be a better leader. While it doesn't mean the entire LGBT community (I am a member) will support her it shows that she is on the right side of the issue.

I follow local politics as a hobby and for me marriage equality isn't really an issue for the Assembly. I believe it has passed easily each year.  From her speech at Powhattan she was great on other issues but Im willing to give other candidates the benefit of doubt.

Offline TRX

• Governor
  • It only makes me laugh
    • http://www.lp.org
Re: Early pie
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2010, 05:01:20 PM »

Curious, had you ever seen her before the Powhattan meeting or was that a first introduction.

Was the discussion of issues impressive, did topics include the MTA?

Welcome HGT, where might you recommend a slice?
Life, Liberty, Happiness (pursuit of) and pasta

Offline hellsgatetim

• Resident
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2010, 05:35:39 PM »
Too be honest I haven't gone to the Powhattan that much over the years so I dont know if she goes. But she seemed to know everyone in the room. She was good. She talked about need for larger hospital, the power plants and something about some rally to save W train. I briefly chatted with her after the event and she was great.  And most importantly she talked about her support of marriage equality. My partner just saw her at town hall meeting with Maloney and said she was pretty good but was talking about the crisis in greece so it was somewhat over his head.

As for a slice I love Rosarios on 31st near Ditmars.

Offline Ajax

• Tourist
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2010, 01:18:42 PM »
I don't know who this woman is y'all are talking about...never heard of her.  But I did have the pleasure of meeting Jeremiah at a marriage equality rally this past year (right here in Astoria!) and he is a real delight.  He's got a great heart and mind and is going places!

I have to agree with Candy, I have not seen or heard anything about Ms. Simotas so I'll have to look her up.
However, I have met Jeremiah several times when attending Marriage Equality rallies (in the pouring rain even) and his dedication to such a righteous cause speaks volumes to me; Jeremiah's definitely someone ready to do some hard work so I hope he does decide to run.

Offline TRX

• Governor
  • It only makes me laugh
Re: Early support in Astoria
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2010, 12:07:55 PM »

http://weheartastoria.com/

Wednesday night, April 7, Democracy for New York City (DFNYC) presents their monthly Linkup, which will be in the form of a candidate forum in Astoria. Candidates running during the upcoming Democratic primary for the 36th Assembly District have been invited. They are:

Jeremiah Frei-Pearson , http://jeremiahfp.org/

Aravella Simotas , http://www.aravellasimotas.com/

http://www.dfnyc.org/

Offline mangopaco

• Activist
  • mangopaco's chicken nugget
    • Dear Chicken Nugget
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2010, 03:53:58 PM »
I just clicked on the links and it shows that Simotas isn't even confirmed for the forum tonight.  Did Jeremiah Frei-Pearson scare her off already?

Offline NYCMacUser

• President
  • Bippidi Boppidi Boo!
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2010, 10:36:04 PM »
She's a one issue party machine candidate. She has absolutely no credentials in any other area, or in any part of the Astoria Community.

Unless Jeremiah Frei-Pearson can garner a ground swelling from the locals, he may never be able to overcome the party support for Simotas.
Women are like teabags.
We don't know our true strength
until we are in hot water! â€”Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline kempsternyc

• Senator
  • Me in a bowler hat and nowhere to go.
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2010, 10:40:41 PM »
I just clicked on both websites posted by TRX and I must say this.

Ms Simotas, if you want me to vote for you, please provide more on your website than a donate page. That is really off putting.

At this point, I am voting for Jeremiah.

I love talking about nothing father, it is the only thing I know anything about -

Lord Goring "An Ideal Husband"

Offline mangopaco

• Activist
    • Dear Chicken Nugget
Jeremiah Frei-Pearson at DFNYC
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2010, 11:16:57 PM »
I went to the DFNYC candidate forum tonight to hear both Assembly candidates speak.  I arrived a few minutes late and caught what seemed like the second half of Jeremiah Frei-Pearson's opening.  I was surprised to learn that Simotas didn't show up.  Having clicked on the link earlier, I knew she was unconfirmed, but seriously? 

In a local election that is decided by less than 10,000 voters, you would think that the candidates are looking for as much public face time as they can get.  As someone said on the earlier Simotas thread, she's going to have to do more than ask for money on her website to get any votes (http://www.aravellasimotas.com).

The crowd at the DFNYC event was well-informed and asked some pretty good questions of Frei-Pearson.  His campaign seems to revolve around reforming Albany.  I particularly liked the idea of implementing term limits in our State government.  As he said, the seat belongs to the people, and no one should be able to sit in one for forty years.  He also talked about Campaign Finance reform as another way of ensuring more fair elections.

I have to say, I liked his ideas but also his honesty.  There were some suggestions from the crowd - like on residential parking permits - where he didn't seem completely committed to endorsing the idea, but he would say that he liked the idea, would look into it, and have a better answer later.  It's obvious he's not trying to make himself out to be a know-it-all savior type.  He's real, willing to take input from the constituents and have a conversation about it, and honest about his thought process.

This is the first time I've seen Frei-Pearson in a forum/debate (is it a debate if the other person doesn't show up?) and I was really impressed with him.  I felt like he really connected.

I'm looking forward to hearing more from him but also from Simotas.  I want to hear what she stands for - aside from just asking for money. 

Offline hellsgatetim

• Resident
Re: Jeremiah Frei-Pearson at DFNYC
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2010, 09:17:43 AM »
I was at the event last night and I just think this pearson guy seems phony. I talked to him after the event and once he was off script he just wasn't very impressive. He also made some very rude remarks to me about his opponent that was a turn off.

Offline TRX

• Governor
  • It only makes me laugh
Re: JFP at DFNYC
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2010, 10:09:38 AM »

It is very early for these kinds of events but I do hope they would have public forums before the end of the season. It would have been good to have both there.

Were there any questions on education?

While I would welcome term limits, I want to hear what kind of reforms are recommended even without them.   :?
NYS like many states is in a bad state. At least the state has decent credit ratings if they are justified. Did NY have any reforms out of the economic troubles of the 70s?

http://dfnyc.org/index.php?option=com_dfnyccalender

DF has some other interesting events coming up in the city.
Do you expect DF will/should make an endorsement in the race here?

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2010, 10:42:36 AM »
She's a one issue party machine candidate. She has absolutely no credentials in any other area, or in any part of the Astoria Community.

Unless Jeremiah Frei-Pearson can garner a ground swelling from the locals, he may never be able to overcome the party support for Simotas.

MacUser - what would you say her one issue is?

Offline stevecrawford

• Resident
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2010, 10:43:03 AM »
I'm sure DFNYC will endorse in the race. I assume they will endorse Frei-Pearson he is in a leadership position, he is a Co-Chair. Its funny I used to be a member of the group until he and a few others came along and started using the group as a self promotion tool.  First he wanted to run for City Council, then he wanted to run for State Senate and now he wants to run for Assembly.

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2010, 10:55:34 AM »
The crowd at the DFNYC event was well-informed and asked some pretty good questions of Frei-Pearson.  His campaign seems to revolve around reforming Albany.  I particularly liked the idea of implementing term limits in our State government.  As he said, the seat belongs to the people, and no one should be able to sit in one for forty years.  He also talked about Campaign Finance reform as another way of ensuring more fair elections.

I think term limits could be a positive thing, though I was opposed to them at the city level initially.  I do think they brought new blood and vibrancy to the City Council.  My only fear with term limits is it makes candidates more likely to be looking for their next office and liable to grand-stand instead of deliver results, though turnover has been positive, on the whole, at the city level.  More important, in my opinion, than term limits are campaign finance reform and redistricting reform - I don't think we'll see a lot of change until we see some movement on those two issues.

Offline mangopaco

• Activist
    • Dear Chicken Nugget
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2010, 10:56:35 AM »
First he wanted to run for City Council, then he wanted to run for State Senate and now he wants to run for Assembly.

You can't fault him if he thinks he's better than the family dynasty (Vallone) who supported Bloomberg's extension of term limits against the will of the people, the term-lifer (Onorato) who hasn't listened to his constituents recently, and the lady I have yet to meet or know anything about (Simotas).  

I keep hoping to learn more, but whenever I ask people in Astoria about her, no one knows her.  I Google her and I learn that she's a lawyer, Greek, a woman, and running for Assembly.  

I mean, good for her, but you've got to tell people what you believe in if you're going to run.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life