relax

Author Topic: Weird cart on 33rd St and 23rd Ave?  (Read 4151 times)

Offline razzledazzler17

• Resident
Weird cart on 33rd St and 23rd Ave?
« on: March 13, 2010, 11:01:33 AM »
Okay, does anyone know what is up with that grocery cart filled with crap on 33rd St and 23rd Avenue?  It's so disgusting and looked like it was stuck to the wall by something... then the other day I was walking home and it was on it's side.  The next day it was gone (finally!) THEN it was back on the other side of the street.... now it's back to it's original spot. 

I just think it's gross, they finally cleaned up that alley to the train.  Is the cart worthy of a 311 call or am I just over-reacting?  I assume it's a homeless person's collection? Anyone have any info??

Astorians

Weird cart on 33rd St and 23rd Ave?
« on: March 13, 2010, 11:01:33 AM »

Offline firelight79

• Running for Governor
    • Fan Firelight Jewelry & Designs on Facebook!
Re: Weird cart on 33rd St and 23rd Ave?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 12:33:00 PM »
It's Cadillac Man's cart.

Offline Dain Bramage

• Mayor
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 02:24:50 PM »
If you think  it's affecting your quality of life, you have every right to report it to 311.

Offline oliver klosoff

• Council Member
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 02:41:16 PM »
i never see amtrak clearing the grounds, i wonder who does it.  i think its strange that the rest of the area is clear, all the arches are usually litter-free, as well as the all the areas under the trestles, but nobody ever does anything about this trash heap.  i think its also strange how everybody fawns over this bum, but then will badmouth the bums that "live" in the next arch over on 31st and say that someone should really get them out of there..

Offline Christine

• Governor
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 03:00:25 PM »
I realize he's an icon of the neighborhood, but it is true that he's since moved in with somebody, has a book/movie deal, and hasn't been outside in 2 years or so (I'm guessing- been a very long time since I've seen him.)

Does seem odd that the stuff is allowed to sit out there.
"Apparently these are the best women Queens has to offer. Now pick one and let's go home."

Offline Dain Bramage

• Mayor
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 03:02:49 PM »
...and hasn't been outside in 2 years or so...

are you saying that now that he has a home, he's a shut-in?    How ironical.    :roll:

Offline Christine

• Governor
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 06:24:48 PM »
From what I understand, people who have homes keep their stuff on the inside. Unless they don't want it anymore, then it either goes out with the trash, recycling, or with a note that says "Free stuff."

Or by getting rid of it, does he lose his "homeless" status and therefore, street cred? And book/movie deals?

I have nothing against the guy, and I don't live near the pile of stuff, but it's a legitimate question.
"Apparently these are the best women Queens has to offer. Now pick one and let's go home."

Offline astoria-for-life

• Citizen
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 04:19:31 AM »
i never see amtrak clearing the grounds, i wonder who does it.  i think its strange that the rest of the area is clear, all the arches are usually litter-free, as well as the all the areas under the trestles, but nobody ever does anything about this trash heap.  i think its also strange how everybody fawns over this bum, but then will badmouth the bums that "live" in the next arch over on 31st and say that someone should really get them out of there..
NYC Department of sanitation is responsible for public streets(including "bums"). I know because I am a NYC San worker. - I have had to do this numerous times. Local politicians make it happpen, Call NYPD , then DSNY gets the call " send a truck over there" There is a waiting squad car, we say hello,They say hello. the police officers order the vagrants to go, and tell us "all clear"- you can throw all the stuff into the truck.- so we do.

Offline Clearview

• Council Member
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2010, 06:46:24 AM »
Here is the explanation for the weird cart

"Cadillac’s final resting place, though, will be under the viaduct, where he’s cemented the rear wheels of his shopping cart into the sidewalk so everyone knows that spot belongs to him. "

Read more: The Homeless Life and Times of Cadillac Man -- New York Magazine http://nymag.com/arts/books/features/55328/#ixzz0i99iGV9R

Offline PJ

• Senator
  • AQ420 Team
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010, 09:44:04 AM »
Homeless or not- nobody has the right to claim a public spot as their own, clean that crap up and make it look presentable for once,what if every homless person started claimed a spot? 
Astoria.....\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"A Shady Place For Shady People"\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\......So LOVE it OR LEAVE IT !!!!

Astorians

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010, 09:44:04 AM »

Offline caddyman33

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2010, 02:39:23 PM »
Hello Fellow Astorians
Hope all is well with everybody.
Been awhile since I commented on a post but being that this is regarding my cart I must clear the air and to inform others who don't know me.
First,I received several phone calls from fellow Astorians who mentioned that my cart has been moved from its spot. One said he was coming home late and saw kids knock it over. Happened a lot in the past so I cemented it in the ground.
It's now across the street by the scum bridge; there's a rodent problem and I don't want to be blamed. Over the years some people decided to dump their household garbage by the cart. Also, someone who lives on 33Street off 23Avenue driving a motorized wheel chair to Dunkin Donut everyday brings the thrown out donuts etc to the viaduct to feed the pigeons. Perhaps some of you have seen him or the food scattered about. Though it's Amtrak property in all the years I was there nobody came to clean up so it was up to me to keep the place clean and at times shovel the path so that my friends would walk by safely. I didn't have to,I wanted to. True, the cart is messy and that I apologize. I'm not there as much but I do come around twice weekly during the day to see friends(fellow astorians) and business matters. People know where to find me.
The cart has been there over 8 years and yes I received a few complains but bottomline its' my personal property. If thrown away,I'll just buy another one.

Offline oliver klosoff

• Council Member
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2010, 03:46:38 PM »
The cart has been there over 8 years and yes I received a few complains but bottomline its' my personal property. If thrown away,I'll just buy another one.

stop dumping your trash here.  its an eyesore to people who've actually invested hundreds of thousands of dollars to own a home on that block.  i am sure they don't want to see a permanent monument of the vagrant who used to live there.  you were a bum.  you should be happy now that you have a home.  look towards the future and making yourself a better person instead of clinging to your bum past.

Offline Dain Bramage

• Mayor
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2010, 05:32:02 PM »
...but bottomline its' my personal property. If thrown away,I'll just buy another one.

I got a crisp, clean dollar that bets it says "Key Food" on the handle.  (or some other grocery chain)

Offline Dain Bramage

• Mayor
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2010, 05:34:45 PM »
Homeless or not- nobody has the right to claim a public spot as their own... 

Damn, I had a nice spot in the park all picked out.   :-(

Offline caddyman33

• Resident
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2010, 05:52:40 PM »
I'm not dumping trash.All of my property is inside the cart.
As for the people who spent hundreds of thousands on homes on the block,I know most of them. In fact there were times I did odd jobs for them. In return I received food,clothing etc.
Letting go of my "bum" past? Never.
That's why I wrote a book,to educate the public and bring awareness to homelessness. I gave lectures at schools,churches and other organizations who wanted to learn more but mostly how to help.
In the future if you use the "bum"term,know what it means.
Bum was a term of endearment used by everybody in Brooklyn for their team the Dodgers.
Growing up in Hells' Kitchen,I visited some friends in Brooklyn and was called a bum on many a occasion.
Meaning I was accepted by all. Once a bum always a bum. :-)

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life