relax

Author Topic: NY Daily News supports Graffiti in NY and L.I.C.  (Read 1772 times)

Offline FZ

• Running for Senate
  • Real Peace Comes After The Battle Is Won
NY Daily News supports Graffiti in NY and L.I.C.
« on: February 07, 2010, 03:13:41 PM »
In two consecutive Sunday editions, the once  responsible NY Daily, in one of it's interior  sections  advertised  a book on how great graffiti was in the 70's  in NY and this Sunday in reference  to a building in L.I.C. 

Graffiti is NOT art, it's criminal vandalism and a precusor to other criminal activity. In my neighborhood, having it removed  reduced  the characters  who congregated on the corner  and drank, urinated and even stole things from back yards. I caught one of them actually bombing a freshly  cleaned wall one night, sadly, he had a car and drove away as I yelled and chased after him.

In the reference the Daily News has today, the writer, under a picture of a graffiti covered building in LIC, has a self answered  question on how 'those who don't see graffiti as art should come to this building.' Well, I don't see it, it's ugly, attracts dangerous people and it's vandalism. I am writing a letter of complaint to the Daily News. It's tough enough these days keeping a neighborhood litter and free of danger, we don't need a newspaper  exalting a  destructive practice.

jeffc2

Re: NY Daily News supports Graffiti in NY and L.I.C.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 07:41:05 PM »
I dont mind it.  Maybe you should take it up with the author and write him a letter.

Offline kempsternyc

• Senator
  • Me in a bowler hat and nowhere to go.
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 11:57:33 PM »
Oh dear...and we just did a window of a book called "Subway Art" I guess that means we support someone tagging your house.

However, I will say that there is no easy answer here. I do believe that there is an element of art. And an element of destruction.

Your Call!
I love talking about nothing father, it is the only thing I know anything about -

Lord Goring "An Ideal Husband"

Offline FZ

• Running for Senate
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 04:46:28 PM »
Oh dear...and we just did a window of a book called "Subway Art" I guess that means we support someone tagging your house.

However, I will say that there is no easy answer here. I do believe that there is an element of art. And an element of destruction.

Your Call!

If you mean by 'art', something that is commisioned and allowed by the owner or  public entity, I agree  that is art and is allowed. What I'm talking about is people just walking about anywhere scribbling  and making large murals wherever they please and without anyone's permission.

I remember the  Subway 'art' of the 70's, when you couldn't read a map or see out of the window in a subway. It's already been called and it's illegal and people  should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. It's  one thing I have been part of when contacting Vallones office.

Offline FZ

• Running for Senate
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 05:27:25 PM »
Also, if anyone out there thinks Graffiti is just a  relatively harmless nuisance...

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2010/02/gang-interventionist-fatally-shot-after-confronting-tagger.html

February 8, 2010 | 11:16 am
A former Crips gang member, who police said transformed himself by working to steer others away from lives of violence, was fatally shot after he confronted a tagger in Mid-Wilshire, Los Angeles police said Monday.

Ronald Lamonte Barron, 40, was leaving the Cottage Bar in the 5000 block of West Pico Boulevard about 9 p.m. Sunday with his girlfriend when he noticed a tagger applying graffiti to a nearby wall, police said.

Barron confronted the tagger, who pulled out a pistol and fired once, hitting Barron in the chest.

Barron had once been a Mansfield Crips gang member but had made a successful transition to gang outreach and intervention work, authorities said. Barron continued to use his former gang name, "Looney" and worked for Amer-I-Can, a gang-intervention program founded by Football Hall of Fame member Jim Brown. Barron was known for his gang outreach work in the L.A. County jails.

-- Andrew Blankstein

Offline Speebs

• Running for Mayor
  • recidivist transit grinder
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 01:34:05 AM »
If you mean by 'art', something that is commisioned and allowed by the owner or  public entity, I agree  that is art and is allowed.

You mean like 5 Pointz, which I assume is the "building in LIC" from the NY Post article and your OP?  Might want to actually take a look at their website (http://5ptz.com/graff/about/)

Quote from: website
5Pointz Aerosol Art Center, Inc. is an outdoor art exhibit space in Long Island City, New York, considered to be the world’s premiere “graffiti Mecca,” where aerosol artists from around the globe paint colorful pieces on the walls of a 200,000-square-foot factory building.

In this case it is definitely NOT vandalism.

jeffc2

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 02:09:07 PM »
*sigh*

Offline Christine

• Governor
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 01:36:51 PM »
Graffiti when done well and allowed by the building owner is an art form. I've seen some fine examples, mostly in other countries.

What the kids do in our back alley and on the landlord's garage door? Definitely no talent there.

By definition, it's done by outlaws, some of whom have real talent, that's where things get problematic.

My favorite example is Gouzo, done by an artist named Jace, and it's become a part of Reunion Island pop art. While technically illegal, it's harmless enough, and it's usually found on abandoned structures or remote landscapes.
"Apparently these are the best women Queens has to offer. Now pick one and let's go home."

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life