relax

Author Topic: New fast food options?  (Read 3767 times)

Offline holyfrjole

• Council Member
New fast food options?
« on: January 25, 2010, 07:41:00 PM »
Looks like we'll be getting two new fast food options in the neighborhood. Any idea where?

From the Daily News:

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/queens/2010/01/25/2010-01-25_in_multiethnic_queens_fast_food_joints_reach_overseas_for_cuisine.html

B.K. Sinha, who develops franchises in the New York area for Submarina California Subs, has the same goal for his restaurant - the first New York branch of the West Coast-based sandwich shop.

He decided Astoria would be the perfect place to introduce Submarina to the city when it opens Thursday.

And

"We decided to start in Queens to build our brand recognition," said Bev Rich, senior director of franchise development at Wingstop, a chain that sells specialty chicken wings.

Wingstop has 435 restaurants around the country, and its first in New York is set to open in Astoria this spring. The local franchisee, Mac Khahera, is a native of Queens.

Offline kempsternyc

• Senator
  • Me in a bowler hat and nowhere to go.
Re: New fast food options?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 11:02:02 PM »
Cool article....does this mean we are important?
I love talking about nothing father, it is the only thing I know anything about -

Lord Goring "An Ideal Husband"

Offline C-J

• Senator
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 11:19:53 PM »
According to their website (www.submarina.com) the address is:  3143 Steinway St.

Offline The Old Fox

• Citizen
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 12:49:04 AM »
submarina opened last thursday. my son had the santa fe sandwich, said it was very good , It shares the spot with haagen dazs ice cream . Just before coming on to this site I was catching up with the sunday papers and read the same article that holy posted. Went on wingstops site but couldn't find any other info on where or exactly when its coming

Offline eatingspree

• Resident Visa
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 08:06:52 PM »
how do they set themselves apart from the usual subway's, quizno's, blimpie's fanfare?

i've seen the "coming soon" sign for what seems like forever in that ice cream shop.  glad to see somethings actually arrived.

Offline firelight79

• Running for Governor
    • Fan Firelight Jewelry & Designs on Facebook!
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 09:45:07 PM »
eh, i'd prefer that hagen daaz remain stand alone...its a tiny place for 2 franchises.

Offline bstewart

• Mayor
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 10:14:48 PM »
how do they set themselves apart from the usual subway's, quizno's, blimpie's fanfare?
Maybe they've got a pepper bar, but I bet you can't get Quiznos' subs with sprinkles and chopped nuts!

Offline The Old Fox

• Citizen
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 01:01:18 AM »

i've seen the "coming soon" sign for what seems like forever in that ice cream shop.  glad to see somethings actually arrived.
3 ways they are different than subways and blimpies are, 1) they slice the coldcuts to order like a deli and not presliced like subways and blimpies,2) you get more meat (so my son says) and 3) they are more expensive .
Like firelight said, theres not much room in there. When it starts getting warm and people go in for ice cream  its not going to be comfortable to eat in there.
and finally a note to Mr. Stewart.  It's good to see you haven"t lost a step.

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 09:26:12 PM »
submarina

Caught this today on Chowhound (apologies for the all caps - that's the way it was written).  The event is Tuesday, May 18:

COME ONE COME ALL....
SUBMARINA CLAIFORNIA SUBS
31-43, STEINWAY STREET,
ASTORIA, NY 11103

GET A FREE SCOOP OF ANY FLAVOR HAGAN DAAZ ICE CREAM WITH A PURCHASE OF ANY 6" SUBMARINA SUB!!!!!!!!!! ALL DAY EVENT....10AM TO 10PM

Offline TRX

• Governor
  • It only makes me laugh
    • http://www.lp.org
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 03:10:35 PM »

From a guy who frankly can dig fast food almost as much as anyone.

http://www.slowfoodnyc.org/programs/soa/awards/type/restaurant
Snail of Approval.

I was glad to see Vesta on this list. Have tried a few others.

Any recommendations from the list?
Life, Liberty, Happiness (pursuit of) and pasta

Astorians

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 03:10:35 PM »

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life