relax

Author Topic: NY Senate bans Same-Sex Marriage TODAY  (Read 5236 times)

Offline JLCC03

• Citizen
NY Senate bans Same-Sex Marriage TODAY
« on: December 02, 2009, 06:51:13 PM »

Are you angry about this?  8 Democratic Senators voted AGAINST gay marriage in NY.  We knew the Republicans weren't going to help with equality rights.  This is a disgrace.  Sen. George Onorato (518) 455-3486 or (718) 545-9706 is a Democrat who voted NO.  He represents our area here in Astoria.  Does he represent YOU? 

Speak out, call, write and keep making your voices heard, Astorians.  Gay and straight. 

Offline LastStop

• Council Member
Re: NY Senate bans Same-Sex Marriage TODAY
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 08:03:10 PM »
Onorato's a Democrat who doesn't know the meaning of the word.  Today was just a hiccup on the way to the eventuality of marriage equality in New York State, and Onorato's tenure grows ever shorter as he becomes more and more irrelevant in the minds of his constituents.

Offline TRX

• Governor
  • It only makes me laugh
    • http://www.lp.org
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 08:44:15 PM »

What plans may Gianaris have in 2010, to consider the Senate??
Does Cuomo stand with Paterson and supporters or with the opposition?

I am sorry to hear the Senate lets state prejudice continue.
There certainly was bipartisan discrimination. I take it many believe this was how they would find re-election next year.
At least voters now have a record to consider. That is a minimal consolation.

Beyond looking to get representatives to vote for fairness, I also suggest reaching out to more voters as to why this matters.

http://www.prideagenda.org/tabid/304/default.aspx?c=402

This list represents a diverse group of faith traditions and congregations from all corners of our state. The leaders of these religious institutions understand the spiritual value of respecting all members of their community, including those who are lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender, said Empire State Pride Agenda Executive Director Alan Van Capelle.

http://www.gothamgazette.com/blogs/wonkster/2009/12/02/the-marriage-vote-and-the-aftermath/

Coverage of the vote:

Then Republicans requested a slow roll call–meaning each Senator would be able to speak about how he or she was voting. Democratic nay votes came quickly: Sens. Joseph Addabbo, Darrel Aubertine, Ruben Diaz, Sr., Shirley Huntley, Carl Kruger, Hiram Monserrate. Republicans also chimed in in the negative, softly saying, “No.” When it was his turn to vote, Sen. Pedro Espada said “Yes,” and “Yes to as many do-overs” as necessary.

Things started to look grim for the bill. By the time Sen. Kevin Parker was called upon to vote it was clear the measure was doomed. He grew visibly upset and called out members for being scared about “getting reelected.” But the Democratic nays continued. George Onorato and Bill Stachowski also voted in the negative.  When the bill was announced as “lost” by a vote of 24-38 there was a surge to the exi ts. Outside, protestors chanted and screamed.

Duane stood in the corner of the room taking questions from the press. He said he had been “betrayed,” but wouldn’t name names. He said he had assurances that didn’t pan out.

Then Gov. David Paterson made his way into the press scrum, sidling up to Duane. He went to console Duane, but the Senator insisted he continue speaking to the press, as he had committed to do so. Paterson waited. Then questions were fired at Paterson. Did he regret bringing the bill to a vote, now that it had been defeated? Paterson said he did not regret it.

Life, Liberty, Happiness (pursuit of) and pasta

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 12:23:31 AM »
Are you angry about this?  8 Democratic Senators voted AGAINST gay marriage in NY.  We knew the Republicans weren't going to help with equality rights.  This is a disgrace.  Sen. George Onorato (518) 455-3486 or (718) 545-9706 is a Democrat who voted NO.  He represents our area here in Astoria.  Does he represent YOU? 

Speak out, call, write and keep making your voices heard, Astorians.  Gay and straight. 

I am so sad that 4 of the 8 Democrats who voted the wrong way are from our borough.

Offline paratactical

• Governor
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 10:43:45 AM »
Does anyone have handy a place that lists those in NYC who voted against the measure?

Offline C-J

• Senator
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 11:01:21 AM »
Para,

Here is the entire list sent to me earlier today by Candy Samples herself:

DEMOCRATS FOR

Eric Adams, Brooklyn

Neil D. Breslin, Albany

Martin Malavé Dilan, Brooklyn

Thomas Duane, Manhattan

Pedro Espada Jr., Bronx

Brian X. Foley, Long Island

Ruth Hassell-Thompson, Bronx-Westchester

Craig M. Johnson, Long Island

Jeffrey D. Klein, Bronx-Westchester

Liz Krueger, Manhattan

Velmanette Montgomery, Brooklyn

Suzi Oppenheimer, Westchester

Kevin S. Parker, Brooklyn

Bill Perkins, Manhattan

John L. Sampson, Brooklyn

Diane J. Savino, Brooklyn-Staten Island

Eric T. Schneiderman, Manhattan-Bronx

Jose M. Serrano, Manhattan-Bronx

Malcolm A. Smith, Brooklyn-Queens

Daniel L. Squadron, Brooklyn-Manhattan

Toby Ann Stavisky, Queens

Andrea Stewart-Cousins, Westchester

Antoine M. Thompson, Buffalo

David J. Valesky, Syracuse

DEMOCRATS AGAINST

Joseph P. Addabbo Jr., Queens

Darrel J. Aubertine, Watertown

Rubén Díaz Sr., Bronx

Shirley L. Huntley, Queens

Carl Kruger, Brooklyn

Hiram Monserrate, Queens

George Onorato, Queens

William T. Stachowski, Buffalo

REPUBLICANS AGAINST

James S. Alesi, Rochester

John J. Bonacic, Middletown

John A. DeFrancisco, Syracuse

Hugh T. Farley, Amsterdam

John J. Flanagan, Long Island

Charles J. Fuschillo Jr., Long Island

Martin J. Golden, Brooklyn

Joseph A. Griffo, Utica

Kemp Hannon, Long Island

Owen H. Johnson, Long Island

Andrew J. Lanza, Staten Island

William J. Larkin Jr., Orange and Ulster Counties

Kenneth P. LaValle, Long Island

Vincent L. Leibell, Brewster

Tom Libous, Binghamton

Elizabeth Little, Glens Falls

Carl L. Marcellino, Long Island

George D. Maziarz, Niagara, Orleans and Monroe Counties

Roy J. McDonald, Troy

Thomas P. Morahan, Rockland County

Michael F. Nozzolio, Seneca Falls

Frank Padavan, Bronx, Queens, Nassau County

Michael H. Ranzenhofer, Erie and Genesee Counties

Joseph E. Robach, Rochester

Stephen M. Saland, Poughkeepsie

James L. Seward, Oneonta

Dean G. Skelos, Long Island

Dale Volker, Erie, Wyoming, Livingston and Ontario Counties

George H. Winner Jr., Elmira

Catherine Young, Olean

Offline paratactical

• Governor
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 11:05:11 AM »
Thanks C-J!

Offline C-J

• Senator
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 11:17:18 AM »
Anytime Para!

Offline JLCC03

• Citizen
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 11:19:08 AM »
Not one Republican had the guts to vote yes?   

Most politicians don't vote on principle anymore.  Not one of those Republicans has a gay friend, neighbor, brother, sister, aunt, uncle, child who deserves equality under the law?  Cowards.  

I hope people keep in mind the 8 Democrats who voted NO when the next election comes around.  

Our fight continues.

Offline C-J

• Senator
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 11:20:56 AM »

Most politicians don't vote on principle anymore.  Not one of those Republicans has a gay friend, neighbor, brother, sister, aunt, uncle, child who deserves equality under the law?  Cowards.  

I hope people keep in mind the 8 Democrats who voted NO when the next election comes around.  

Our fight continues.

The worst part (as Dirk pointed out earlier) is that four of those eight cowardly Democrats are from Queens! 

Offline AJTNYC

• Global Moderator
  • Running for President
  • Plays well with others...
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, 12:28:08 PM »

Our fight continues.

Talk about cowardly, not one of those Republicans had the courage to take the floor and argue their position.  And believe it or not the only Democrat who voted no and did explain the reasons for his vote, Ruben Diaz, one of the most vocal opponents to marriage equality, has 2, count them 2, gay brothers.   

Offline TRX

• Governor
  • It only makes me laugh
    • http://www.lp.org
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2009, 12:41:37 PM »
It does seem there was quite a bit of cowardice.

I have read of a good deal of blame pinned to Dems. What bothers me more is that the GOP caucus said all were free to vote their conscience. It was not to be a party line vote. Did they?
What excuse can you have for not voting your conscience?

There are a number of Dem activists in Astoria. After the holidays, I would love to hear your plans and your membership  reactions.
Dont you have a fete/monthly gathering coming up Monday?

Our Senator would be viewed on his complete record. But I find it easy to imagine that Astoria could have better, more modern representation.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/03/nyregion/03personal.html

“We in government don’t determine the quality or worthiness of people’s relationships. If we did, we would not issue three-quarters of the marriage licenses we do.”

Life, Liberty, Happiness (pursuit of) and pasta

Offline StephanieL

• Running for Senate
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2009, 02:30:31 PM »
I have read of a good deal of blame pinned to Dems. What bothers me more is that the GOP caucus said all were free to vote their conscience. It was not to be a party line vote. Did they?
What excuse can you have for not voting your conscience?

Because they all care about being reelected, so they're worried about a conservative backlash, both from their constituents and from the national GOP (which as you know forced out a moderate GOP Congressional candidate upstate because she happened to be pro-gay rights).

Offline C-J

• Senator
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2009, 02:31:11 PM »
Just a quick, slightly OT, follow up on TRX's quote:

Years ago when my partner and I got our Domestic Partnerhip through the City (which was later replaced by a marriage license in CT now that it's been legal there for a year) the people at the next desk getting a marriage license were doing so with the help of a translator.  Mind you, this was not a translator to aid in the process but was being used to help the husband and wife applicants communicate with ONE ANOTHER!  The person doing the license didn't even flinch at this absurdity but we certainly did as we were paying $1 more for a limited rights Domestic Partnership than they were paying for a real marriage license.

Offline JoeyC

• Senator
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2009, 12:09:07 AM »
Just a quick, slightly OT, follow up on TRX's quote:

Years ago when my partner and I got our Domestic Partnerhip through the City (which was later replaced by a marriage license in CT now that it's been legal there for a year) the people at the next desk getting a marriage license were doing so with the help of a translator.  Mind you, this was not a translator to aid in the process but was being used to help the husband and wife applicants communicate with ONE ANOTHER!  The person doing the license didn't even flinch at this absurdity but we certainly did as we were paying $1 more for a limited rights Domestic Partnership than they were paying for a real marriage license.

So the couple was really not  a couple, just getting married for citezenship?   

Astorians

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2009, 12:09:07 AM »

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life