relax

Author Topic: Why?: Astoria repped by Onorato, aligned with Dem. minority (Monserrate, et al)  (Read 8643 times)

Offline paratactical

• Governor
He's not out of touch with communnity, some of you are though. I'll vote him back in along with others who want him back.  He was always suporting gay issues, as soon as he says no to one, he's evil?   

This isn't one issue. This is a position that says to all Americans and to the entire world that we don't believe that homosexual people are as valid as heterosexual people and that homosexual people do not have the same unalienable rights to pursue happiness that we supposedly have promised to all of our citizenry.

Offline Tracer Bullet

• Activist
I think you're mistaken here. The demographic of Astoria and LIC has changed and thankfully, there aren't many left who would support such a prejudiced and bigoted policy. I think he'll realize that when he is voted out next year.

I'm very interested in helping to make this happen. Anyone that is similarly interested, please PM me.

Offline C-J

• Senator
I'm very interested in helping to make this happen. Anyone that is similarly interested, please PM me.

I am also interested in working to unseat the good Senator in favour of someone who realizes that we live in an ever evolving neighbourhood and not in "Archie Bunker times" any longer.

Offline JoeyC

• Senator
I'm far from old, and definately not out of touch.   As for the new diversity, it's not new. Latino  people have been here in large numbers from way back, and the large Muslim population (Big gay marriage suporters, by the way :-D)   are also part of Astoria.

Offline JoeyC

• Senator
old, out of touch, entrenched-and-untouchable-because-of-the-old-conservatives-codger.
So very disappointing and embarrasing.
We need a third party candidate. McDirk! Run! Run!

Onerato has been a liberal all his career.

Offline paratactical

• Governor
Onerato has been a liberal all his career.

I don't think you can call someone a liberal if they aren't a proponent of equal rights.

Offline RoverNYC

• Council Member
    • http://flickr.com/photos/judsonkniffen/
I just sent an email and a hard copy letter to Sen. Oronato expressing my extreme disappointment with his vote and lack of explanation on the Senate floor. I urge you to do the same.

His website with contact info is here: http://www.nysenate.gov/senator/george-onorato

It's an embarrassing day to be an Astorian.

Offline ladydi

• Mayor
Just thought everyone following this thread would find this article from the Daily News
site interesting - just saw it myself.

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2009/12/03/2009-12-03_gov_paterson_.html

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
We don't really write much on Joey in Astoria about politics (we touch on it but that's about it), but thanks to the nudging of a long time reader, we put something up today.  It has all of Onorato's contact info in it, plus a great video of Senator Diane Savino's defense of marriage equality and why she voted for it.

Marriage Equality and Queens

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
We don't really write much on Joey in Astoria about politics (we touch on it but that's about it), but thanks to the nudging of a long time reader, we put something up today.  It has all of Onorato's contact info in it, plus a great video of Senator Diane Savino's defense of marriage equality and why she voted for it.

Marriage Equality and Queens

Isn't Senator Diane Savino amazing?  She is truly a gem, brilliant, kind, compassionate, visionary.  She's one of my favorite elected officials around.

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
Isn't Senator Diane Savino amazing?  She is truly a gem, brilliant, kind, compassionate, visionary.  She's one of my favorite elected officials around.

She's great.  I was not really aware of her before, but was really affected by her speech in that video.  I'll continue to pay attention to her after this.

Offline C-J

• Senator
She should come and represent us instead of Brooklyn and Staten Island!  Her speech had me in tears.

Offline Mer

• Mayor

I'm interested in well.  I'm ashamed to say that I've never involved myself in local politics before, but my senator, someone who supposedly holds liberal values, committed an inexcusable act, and it's got me rearing for a fight.  As sad and disappointed I am, I am also really excited for the 2010 election.

Offline Tracer Bullet

• Activist
I think there are a number of potential candidates and I'd be shocked if one (or more) don't step up.  Should be for an interesting 2010!

Who are some of these possibilities?

Offline JoeyC

• Senator
I don't think you can call someone a liberal if they aren't a proponent of equal rights.

He has been, just because he finally disagrees with ONE issue, you want the man's head.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life