relax

Author Topic: Why Our Government is Broken Beyond Repair  (Read 7512 times)

Offline kempsternyc

• Senator
  • Me in a bowler hat and nowhere to go.
Re: Why Our Government is Broken Beyond Repair
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2010, 07:04:02 PM »
See, I'm the opposite, I was a real, for want of  a better term, lefty in my youth. I realised that teh system was being scammed not just those using it, but, by people  who were also running it to a bloated end, this is what happens. The boogeyman one see's may change, some are told the tea party folks are the boogeyman, see, a brick was thrown threw a window. The fact of matter is that tens of millions of scam artists are just as bad as a Maddoff and worse, cause it's not stopped and is getting bigger and state run.

Yep....that's right. People who want to eat are on the same level as Maddoff. in fact, all the poor people are scam artists. They are intent on stealing your tax dollars and effing you over.

Yep...that's what is going on.
I love talking about nothing father, it is the only thing I know anything about -

Lord Goring "An Ideal Husband"

Offline NYCMacUser

• President
  • Bippidi Boppidi Boo!
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2010, 08:25:31 PM »
Yep....that's right. People who want to eat are on the same level as Maddoff. in fact, all the poor people are scam artists. They are intent on stealing your tax dollars and effing you over.

Yep. And all the poor bastards that are one lousy paycheck away from the streets are scum, too. Who the hell would take a minimum wage job and then complain that they can't survive on their salary. Scum, I say. Only scum of the earth. We ought to send them all back to the country . . . oh wait a minute . . . they were born here. Oh well. I guess we have to keep the scum and just let them starve their kiddies and let their wives dies of diseases that might be cured if they had health care. But, who really cares as long as it isn't me. Right?
Women are like teabags.
We don't know our true strength
until we are in hot water! â€”Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline kempsternyc

• Senator
  • Me in a bowler hat and nowhere to go.
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2010, 08:28:46 PM »
Yep. And all the poor bastards that are one lousy paycheck away from the streets are scum, too. Who the hell would take a minimum wage job and then complain that they can't survive on their salary. Scum, I say. Only scum of the earth. We ought to send them all back to the country . . . oh wait a minute . . . they were born here. Oh well. I guess we have to keep the scum and just let them starve their kiddies and let their wives dies of diseases that might be cured if they had health care. But, who really cares as long as it isn't me. Right?

exactly!!!!!!!!!! :evil:
I love talking about nothing father, it is the only thing I know anything about -

Lord Goring "An Ideal Husband"

Offline FZ

• Running for Senate
  • Real Peace Comes After The Battle Is Won
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2010, 10:55:39 PM »
Yep....that's right. People who want to eat are on the same level as Maddoff. in fact, all the poor people are scam artists. They are intent on stealing your tax dollars and fricking you over.

It's  not what  I said and have you ever read  Gulliver Travels, Kempster? It's not  just the stealing.  It   created a  climate, throughout the nation, from the 'Projects'  in the 60's, although well meaning,  where a check became  Daddy and drugs  became  the  'trade.'

Offline TRX

• Governor
  • It only makes me laugh
    • http://www.lp.org
Re: Why Our Government is Broke
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2010, 02:26:40 PM »

Appropriate timing, CNN will be showing the doc I O U S A this Saturday and Sunday. I was gladly surprised how receptive Eberts earlier review was.
These showings are recommended by the Concord Coaltion, supported by members of various parties, to give attention to the budget and the deficit.

I think Congress has earned pretty poor marks in this. The administration was left to again create a commission to focus on recommendations.
I am encouraged by many of the participants including the picks by Senate Dems and Obama. The House Dem participants are disappointing but may simply be there to avoid very deep cuts in benefits.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080821/REVIEWS/329/1023

http://www.concordcoalition.org/press-releases/2010/0201/concord-coalition-supports-presidents-deficit-reduction-goals-and-bipartisa
Life, Liberty, Happiness (pursuit of) and pasta

Offline TRX

• Governor
  • It only makes me laugh
Re: Why Our Government is Broke !
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2010, 12:59:13 PM »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/07/11/AR2010071101956.html

unfortunately, this is an article that needs to be popular.
Congress, the WH, and commissions will have disagreements on how to balance the budget. But we know there is a need.
Personally, I will be voting for those who have courage to make budget cuts. Sadly, I accept it appears that some tax increases will likely be part of negotiations.

Bowles said that unlike the current economic crisis, which was largely unforeseen before it hit in fall 2008, the coming fiscal calamity is staring the country in the face. "This one is as clear as a bell," he said. "This debt is like a cancer."

The commission leaders said that, at present, federal revenue is fully consumed by three programs: Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid. "The rest of the federal government, including fighting two wars, homeland security, education, art, culture, you name it, veterans -- the whole rest of the discretionary budget is being financed by China and other countries," Simpson said.

"We can't grow our way out of this," Bowles said. "We could have decades of double-digit growth and not grow our way out of this enormous debt problem. We can't tax our way out. . . . The reality is we've got to do exactly what you all do every day as governors. We've got to cut spending or increase revenues or do some combination of that."

Bowles pointed to steps taken recently by the new coalition government in Britain, which also faces an acute budgetary problem, as a guide to what the commission might use in its recommendations. That would mean about three-quarters of the deficit reduction would be accomplished through spending cuts, and the remainder with additional revenue.

Offline QMC

• Campaigning for Council
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2010, 06:20:34 AM »
Speaking of tax increases, we are looking at a real doozy come January 1st.
There is no such thing as a stupid question
There are, however, many inquisitive idiots :)

Offline Sweeper

• Mayor
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2010, 08:32:13 AM »
Speaking of tax increases, we are looking at a real doozy come January 1st.
But I was promised that this was only for couples making over $250,000. Everyone else is going to get a tax cut, right?
(Cue progressives arguing that this isn't a tax increase, just rescinding a tax cut)

Offline TRX

• Governor
  • It only makes me laugh
from the armchairs Re: Why Our Government is Broken
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2010, 11:09:38 AM »
Note: one estimate is that NYS may lose  2 House  seats to other states due to challenged population growth

In other news, which could be hilarious:

This House Believes the Government's Economic Stimulus is a Failure
- Yale Political Union vs. Hudson Union Society Annual Debate - Free Event for Members
Tuesday October 19 at 7:00P. The Society is non-partisan.

With the economy affecting almost every American, and the looming elections, join us for some of the finest debaters in the world as they participate in clash of the titans to decide the success or the defeat of the motion This House Believes the Government's Economic Stimulus is a Failure. 

That House may be biased, but the Yale team has a good deal to work with.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life