relax

Author Topic: Indoor composting  (Read 2564 times)

Stinger

Indoor composting
« on: February 25, 2006, 03:18:08 PM »
I was curious to knwoif anyone would be interested in learning more about indoor composting? If there are enough people to attend I know someone who would like to come and speak on the topic.

Let me know if you are interested.

Stinger

bettyspin

Re: Indoor composting
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2006, 07:23:07 PM »
I'm interested. 

Offline Jonathan

• Senator
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 08:38:28 AM »
Interested but worried about the stink factor.  Would they cover outdoor composting too?

Question:  Why indoors?  If you have no outdoor garden why compost at all? Just asking

Offline jayme

• Senator
  • friends of mine
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 08:48:16 AM »
From what I remember reading about indoor composting (when I had a garden), if the balance of dirt + garbage + worms + newspaper (a good compost starter) is right, it shouldn't be smelly.

I have no garden anymore though so I don't compost.

But hey, if you need some help in the garden, I really like the pre-planting post-winter cleanup part.  Playing in the dirt!
These are pigs.
See francis's friends for kitties.

Offline merm

• Administrator
  • Governor
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2006, 08:48:32 PM »
I've become quite the little composter lately and I'm proud to announce that after my first batch failed, I have a strong second and third batch going now.

There are two methods for composting, one uses worms, the other doesn't. I like the non-worm method the best.

I keep a small bucket with a lid in my kitchen. I got it at the $1 store, it's like a 1.5 gallon pail basically. Anyway, we throw all our scraps in there and then once a week we empty it. It does smell a little bit by the end of the week, but honestly it's not bad at all if you just empty it after a few days.

I then have a big garbage bin outside that I drilled a bunch of holes in. I just threw a little dirt, shredded up newspaper, and then mixed in the veggies. I keep it covered and I don't add water (this is the number one reason composting fails, too much water). I just stir it every week or two with a shovel.

It has produced some really good compost, no worms.

kickingchicken

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2006, 03:39:59 AM »
Hi,

I know this thread is a little old, but it's never too late to learn to compost.  There are composting workshops going on next Sunday at the Queens Botanical Garden in Flushing.  I'm thinking about attending both these events.  Who knows, maybe I'll get all scientific and do both at once to see how it turns out.

COMPOST WORKSHOPS

Saturday, May 13, 2006 - Mother's Compost Day, 1:00 p.m.  No Charge*

Compost Double Header

I. Sunday, May 21, 2006 - Backyard Composting, 11:00 a.m. No Charge*

(Fee for optional subsidized compost bin: $20)

II. Sunday, May 21, 2006 - Conservation in Small Spaces - Vermicomposting, 1:00 p.m. No Charge*

(Fee for optional supplies: $10 for worm bin and voucher for one pound of red wriggler worms)

*Note: These workshops are provided at no charge or for a nominal fee thanks to funding provided by the NYC Department of Sanitation. Pre-registration is required at least one week in advance for all workshops.  Call 718-886-3800 ext. 222 to register.   

Directions:
Located at 43-50 Main Street, in Flushing, the Queens Botanical Garden is easily reached by the Q44 bus; IRT No. 7 or Long Island Rail Road (Port Washington line) to Main Street/Flushing; car (LIE to Exit 23, Main Street or Van Wyck Expressway to Exit 12A, College Point Boulevard); and the Queens Culture Loop trolley (weekends only). For complete travel information, call 718.886.3800.

~chicken
 :lol:

Offline jayme

• Senator
  • friends of mine
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2006, 09:48:47 AM »
Very cool.  I've been wanting a worm bin for a while.

Is anyone going to the one Sunday?  Worms!

-j
These are pigs.
See francis's friends for kitties.

kickingchicken

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2006, 05:10:24 PM »
I hope to go to both composting sessions on Sunday.  Maybe I'll go compost-crazy and try both.  My decision will depend on whether my landlady allows me to do the outdoor method.  Vermicompost sounds a little daunting.

~chicken

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life