relax

Author Topic: thread-moving shenanigans  (Read 10187 times)

Offline essen

• Running for Governor
thread-moving shenanigans
« on: October 20, 2009, 09:14:48 PM »
Dear Moderator folk,

Please use your thread moving abilities sparingly. There was no need to move my bird mite infestation thread to Random Gabble. It was a warning to people not to allow this to happen and might actually be helpful to people who live around here. Although I got into the storytelling aspect of the whole thing, the post was quite topical where it was posted originally. Seriously, I have no idea why that thread, of all threads, was moved, while my recent thread about Delicate Touch brand toilet paper was left where it was.

If a thread is even just somewhat based on living in Astoria, it should be left in an Astoria category if that's where it was posted. Given that we only get a few new threads in each category every day, there's no need to be gung ho about moving threads unless they're obviously completely unrelated to the category they were posted in.

In short, I would really like my "public service announcement" thread to be moved back to the local chat and issues category.

Offline essen

• Running for Governor
Re: thread-moving shenanigans
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 08:08:20 PM »
See, since no moderators have responded yet and the above post is apparently so polarizing, I get the impression that you guys are taking a tacit vote via nod to see what you should do. It is somewhat mildly interesting that this thread has a different nod count than the thread I'm talking about, where 12 people agreed that the thread should not have been moved. In conclusion, nods still serve no purpose.

Offline essen

• Running for Governor
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 09:59:09 PM »
I just positive nodded myself.

Offline Hardkore

• Activist
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 11:04:58 PM »
I hate the nods so much. Just sayin. They make me participate less on this forum than I think I would otherwise. Oh and also the crazy-heavy modship here. Leads to a pretty controlled flavor in the posts. There also appears to be less posts than in years past, probably in part due to the loss of freeze peach. But I would argue because of the heavy modding- it results in a kind of "adult contemporary" atmosphere here. Snooze.

Offline BronwynBurke

• Council Member
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 11:47:37 PM »
me too.........  :-(

Offline TRX

• Governor
  • It only makes me laugh
    • http://www.lp.org
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 07:16:27 AM »
I just like the word shenanigans.
Is it always plural?

If I see it, I am nearly compelled to give a + nod.

:lol:   :rock:
Life, Liberty, Happiness (pursuit of) and pasta

Offline lanseaux

• Governor
  • Mexico
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 07:38:10 AM »
I'm not quite sure why the bird mite thread referenced here was moved to random gabble, but the other pigeon thread is still in local chat and issues.  It seems inconsistent to me.

Offline paratactical

• Governor
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 11:12:28 AM »
I just don't see why it matters. It's not like there's a ton of traffic on the site or so many new posts that someone wouldn't be able to find it.

Offline Pinnochio

• Activist
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 11:36:19 AM »
Things are constantly getting moved around for no real purpose. It's just annoying, and no, I'm not going to spend my time doing searches for old posts that are no longer where they were. I just don't continue reading them.

Offline Sweeper

• Mayor
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 12:08:09 PM »
Why is "Board Announcements & Information" a child board for "Local Chat & Issues"?  Shouldn't this be a child of "Random Gabble"? I don't know why it bothers me to see a thread moved. Paratactical is right that it is not hard to find. But Essen obviously made a conscious decision to place the topic in an appropriate thread.

Offline paratactical

• Governor
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2009, 12:16:24 PM »
Things are constantly getting moved around for no real purpose. It's just annoying, and no, I'm not going to spend my time doing searches for old posts that are no longer where they were. I just don't continue reading them.

Use the "show unread posts since last visit" button and you can see all the updated threads, even if they have been moved.

Offline lanseaux

• Governor
  • Mexico
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2009, 12:19:15 PM »
I just don't see why it matters.

It's not only about moving an existing thread.  If people understand the rationale for why a thread is in a particular place, it can help them and others start new threads in the appropriate location.

Offline AJTNYC

• Global Moderator
  • Running for President
  • Plays well with others...
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2009, 01:23:26 PM »
Dear essen,

I'm here to respond to your written rant.  Forgive me for not responding sooner but I was curled up in a fetal position in the corner of my bedroom unable to come to grips with my evil thread moving shenanigans.  Please let me know the time and place I am to be hung so I can dress appropriately...  :wink:

Although I have difficulty understanding how upset you have gotten over my moving your thread I'm going to suggest that in the future you simply send us a pm or hit the report to moderator button and simply ask us for an explanation.  I find starting this thread (in the board announcements section no less) to be so unnecessary and divisive.  Also, your declaration of resentment over the move in your pigeon mites thread only served to derail a discussion of your important post.  We all try to timely respond to things which require a response but it is sometimes not so easy to do on an immediate basis.  I can assure you that we are not monitoring the nod feature, as you suggested, to decide which way we will go on an issue.  That would be silly.  I am perfectly capable of standing on my own two feet and expressing my opinion even if it may be contrary to the majority opinion.  I can also assure you that we do not move threads as a "shenanigan".  I'm certainly not sitting here plotting out how I can make your life miserable. 

Now on to why I chose to move your thread.  I don't agree with you when you say "If a thread is even just somewhat based on living in Astoria"  it should be deemed a local chat issue.  The bed bug thread was/is more of a local issue to me because it discusses the problem as being a pervasive problem within Astoria.  If there was a pigeon mite infestation problem in Astoria I would be inclined to leave your thread in local chat issues.  The pigeon thread referred to by lanseaux is in local chat because the original poster is discussing an ongoing pigeon s___ problem by her residence.  Also, you seem to be concerned that people will not see your thread because it was moved.  Please know that when anyone going through the local chat issue thread comes across your "Public Service Announcement" post and clicks on it, they will be redirected to your thread in Random Gabble.  So it's not like it is going to be seen any less than if it were in local chat.  Lastly, I do believe that your Delicate Touch toilet paper thread should have been moved to random gabble.  At the moment, I don't recall if we discussed it or if anyone noticed it.  Hey, we're obviously not perfect.  The bottom line is that we do are best here and we may not always be right and we don't always consult with each other before taking action. 

I'm sorry if my move caused you so much angst.  I appreciate and welcome questions or discussion regarding my moderating decisions so long as it is done in a productive manner.   

AJTNYC

Offline Sweeper

• Mayor
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2009, 01:48:55 PM »
I appreciate and welcome questions or discussion regarding my moderating decisions so long as it is done in a productive manner. 

Productive like without sarcasm?

Offline essen

• Running for Governor
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2009, 08:57:32 PM »
Although I have difficulty understanding how upset you have gotten over my moving your thread

First of all, no. I am not so upset, nor am I bent out of shape about this, nor does this make my life "miserable." Nor was that a "written rant." I simply found the decision to move my thread to be bizarre and arbitrary, and I wanted to know why it was moved. I also want the thread to be moved back to where it was originally posted, since that is the most logical place for it.

I'm going to suggest that in the future you simply send us a pm or hit the report to moderator button and simply ask us for an explanation.  I find starting this thread (in the board announcements section no less) to be so unnecessary and divisive.

And I find your arbitrary movement of my thread to be so unnecessary and divisive. Your response to my post here is much more hostile than my initial complaints about the thread move. If you're so big on communication, why didn't you start off by sending me a PM explaining why you were moving it instead of leaving it up to me if I feel like complaining about it? Clearly there is not so much going on on this board that the moderators should be too overwhelmed to offer an explanation for their moderating decisions as they happen, especially when it involves a regular member of the board who knows how to operate it properly. Seriously, did you think I took the time to write up that thread without caring where it ended up? Did you even think at all about what you were doing when you were doing it?

There's a major issue with your explanation here. Take a look at the home page. The "Local Chat" category is not called "Local Issues," and there is no stipulation that all threads must be about pest infestations or homeless people. It's called "Local Chat & Issues." The description is "Neighborhood-related general topics, issues & introductions. A great place to say hello or talk about Astoria NY or Long Island City in general." Your reasoning for why you moved the thread does not hold up.

Offline essceebee

• Resident
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2009, 10:38:22 PM »
the mod response is so condescending...  for a board that always argues about the integrity, etc., this response is completely unnecessary.  hopefully, the mod will use their moderator abilities to remove that embarrassment of a post.  Just as Essen could have sent you a PM, you could have also sent him a PM.  You didn't need to belittle or use that level of sarcasm.  Practice what you preach, no?  Did you not just try to instigate and start a fire by writing the response you did?

I don't post much, but I have tried to keep up with the board for the past few years. I've never become too involved due to the heavy policing here. It's like trying to relax in a pew of a Catholic church.

Offline kempsternyc

• Senator
  • Me in a bowler hat and nowhere to go.
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2009, 12:55:56 AM »
I gotta  do this...

Because, as AJ knows, I only post when I am drunk..

Oh where oh where has my thread gone?
Oh where oh where can she be?
I thought I left her on local chat
But she seems to have gone away.

Oh Where oh where has my thread gone?
Oh where oh where can she be?

( Sing three more times unless you throw up before that)

I love talking about nothing father, it is the only thing I know anything about -

Lord Goring "An Ideal Husband"

Offline kempsternyc

• Senator
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2009, 01:04:51 AM »

and divisive.

Do you really think he moved the thread to start an argument with you or to create anger on this board?

I love talking about nothing father, it is the only thing I know anything about -

Offline paratactical

• Governor
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2009, 10:06:31 AM »
First of all, no. I am not so upset, nor am I bent out of shape about this, nor does this make my life "miserable." Nor was that a "written rant."

essen, normally I really enjoy your posts and think you're pretty level headed, but you are coming across as pretty upset over this, even if you're not.

Offline daisy

• President
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2009, 11:34:40 AM »
Essen, if I may step in here for a moment.  Judging from what I've seen in your posts regarding this issue, you do come across as very upset about it.  You went off-topic in your own thread to discuss it, and then you started an entirely new thread and described the move of the thread as a shenanigan.  I have never once thought of my work as a moderator here, as a shenanigan.  This is an all-volunteer position, on our own time away from our jobs.  I know I speak for all the moderators when I say we all strive to do the best job we can, even if we can't be on top of every thread on every hour.  Things slip through the cracks, and we can't be expected to be perfect, especially when we are all doing this in our spare time.  When I move a thread, it is not out of malice or that I'm trying to be divisive.  Rather, it is out of a genuine feeling that a thread belongs in a certain area of the board.  Moving a thread does not mean it will get read less or seen less.  Most regular readers of the board read the boards by using the "Show unread posts since last visit" link.  Also, upon moving a thread, a notice is posted that redirects a user to the moved thread.

What should have happened on both sides, is that a pm should have been sent notifying you that the thread was moved, and if you had disagreements about it, a discussion should have been conducted privately.  Instead, it's become this very public dispute about something that honestly feels very inane and routine to me.   The job of a moderator is to moderate.  We're just doing our jobs.  It's nothing more than that.  We get a ton of posts here everyday, and do our best to keep on top of things, including spam, duplicate postings, inappropriate advertising, trolls, and yes, the occasional posting of a thread that might not be in the best area for it.  None of our work is done out of malice and it certainly is not a shenanigan.  AJ should have pmmed you, but I can assure you, there was no malice on his part in moving the thread.  I would think his response was an attempt to bring some humor into the conversation and lighten things up, for an issue that should not be so serious.   I think it's time we close this issue and move on. 

Offline essen

• Running for Governor
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2009, 11:28:28 PM »
Do you really think he moved the thread to start an argument with you or to create anger on this board?

No, of course not. And do you really think I posted this thread in order to start an argument or to create anger on the board? That's what he accused me of. I just don't think he was really thinking it through as he did it. I did not expect him to respond the way he did here, especially since my first post was more of a general thing about how the mods sometimes have a tendency to move some threads in ways that don't make much sense and are inconsistent.

Quote from: paratactical
essen, normally I really enjoy your posts and think you're pretty level headed, but you are coming across as pretty upset over this, even if you're not.

I know I have a tendency to sound enthusiastic when I get into arguments involving logic and reason. I really am not angry about it, and hopefully the people who have met me have an idea of the sort of tone I have here. I like words, I like working through logical arguments, and I like typing. I made that last post over a plate of pumpkin ravioli that I was truly enjoying. Right now, I'm wearing pajamas and high heel boots (essceebee, btw, I am female - but thanks :wink:). I think it's stupid that the thread was moved, yes, and so was the reasoning offered for the move. Honestly, I would have rather AJTNYC said he moved the thread because he thinks I'm annoying as opposed to the nonsensical reason that was given for it. Unfortunately, he probably did not move the thread merely because he thinks I'm annoying. All I was trying to do here was understand why it was moved, and also to suggest that threads shouldn't be moved unless they're really out of place. Not only did he fail to explain why he moved it, but he also managed to be oddly condescending to me in the process.

Quote from: daisy
You went off-topic in your own thread to discuss it, and then you started an entirely new thread and described the move of the thread as a shenanigan.  I have never once thought of my work as a moderator here, as a shenanigan.  This is an all-volunteer position, on our own time away from our jobs.

Right, I've moderated a public forum before, so this is not a foreign concept to me. The least we non-mods can ask for is consistency in how things are done and why threads are moved. Then at least we know what we're dealing with, and we can work with what we have. If you guys don't have time to be consistent and avoid moderating shenanigans, it would be better if you did less than more. I'm sorry to say this, but there are really not that many posts here compared to other boards I've been to. Given that there are several of you doing this in your spare time, it shouldn't be such a stretch to ask for more consistency and communication than we've been getting... and not to have you guys doing stuff seemingly arbitrarily and then getting really defensive whenever you get called out on it, and especially being willing to reconsider a particular action you might've taken if it turns out you probably did something wrong.

Based on some other replies here and elsewhere on the board, it seems like there's a pretty large number of people who've been turned off not only by the nod feature but also by the moderation techniques. I would guess many people haven't bothered to post their feelings about it, instead just getting fed up or bored with the place altogether. But instead of being willing to maybe consider that those who feel that way might have a point, we're treated like assholes who get angry about everything and love complaining. I for one do not love complaining, but I will speak up if I think improvements can be made, or if I think something was handled improperly. I actually think this board is an important part of the Astoria community as a whole, which is why I give any kind of a crap about any of this.

It's true that nobody's perfect, and I know you don't move threads to be jerks. Unless there is some quirk about editing on this board that a thread can only be moved once, I'll be happy to drop this if you move my thread back to where it was and delete the posts that complain about the thread being moved. I get the feeling that even if people think I'm over-reacting, they also think my thread should have been left where it was posted originally.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 11:38:33 PM by essen »

Offline 28Grand

• Global Moderator
  • Senator
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2009, 10:17:28 AM »
Essen, I understand that you disagree with the move of your pigeon mite thread and I appreciate the reasons for it. But please examine your motives for starting this one.

As has been previously noted, if you expected a response from a moderator you could have just as easily sent a PM asking “What’s up with that?” as start this thread. Now you can disagree with me, but from my perspective it seems you didn’t want to engage with us, just make an example of us to make a point and do so in public as an invitation for everyone to gang on. This is why we may seem defensive.

So what to do? The complaint is made. It’s out there. It’s made again, demanding a response, then additional comments are made by others.  Do we let it go, as the moderators were first inclined to do, or do we address it?

You ask for consistency. And speaking for myself and I hope the other moderators agree, that is what we strive for. We in turn ask the members for consideration. The considerate thing in this case would have been sending a PM.

On another, but in my opinion related note, polarizing, divisive, hostile, heavy, and unproductive are some of the words used to describe the moderators in this thread and others. These are strong words.

For those of you who feel disinclined to contribute on this site and for those of you who care about this forum take a good look at the postings in local chat: maybe you see differently but what I see are mostly complaints, complaints, complaints or a run down of the local police blotter.

For all the great things Astoria is and for all the people who live here are, and I mean everyone, I simply do not understand where this fear, anger and extreme sensitivity stems from.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 10:26:21 AM by 28Grand »

Offline mronda

• Citizen
  • Grrly snoozing on her stuffed monkey (pillow)
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2009, 11:58:53 AM »
I think the original post should have been called "Astoria Pigeon Mite Shenanigans" then none of this would have happened.
:wink:

Offline MikeHunt

• Resident
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2009, 03:20:17 PM »
In conclusion, nods still serve no purpose.

I hate the nods so much. Just sayin. They make me participate less on this forum than I think I would otherwise. Oh and also the crazy-heavy modship here.

Things are constantly getting moved around for no real purpose. It's just annoying... I just don't continue reading them.

It's not like there's a ton of traffic on the site

Things that make you go hmmmmm.

Offline essen

• Running for Governor
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2009, 03:40:09 PM »
As has been previously noted, if you expected a response from a moderator you could have just as easily sent a PM asking “What’s up with that?” as start this thread. Now you can disagree with me, but from my perspective it seems you didn’t want to engage with us, just make an example of us to make a point and do so in public as an invitation for everyone to gang on. This is why we may seem defensive.
On another, but in my opinion related note, polarizing, divisive, hostile, heavy, and unproductive are some of the words used to describe the moderators in this thread and others. These are strong words.

I understand what you are saying, and I have fully examined my motives for posting this thread. I think I already explained my motives pretty clearly earlier on, yet now I've had two mods accuse me of posting this thread in order to stir the pot or to make people angry, or to "make an example" of the moderators. That kind of language is way more extreme than anything I've said or done. We've had board policy discussions in this category before, so I didn't consider it out of place for me to post my thoughts here about how sometimes threads seem to be moved for no good reason. You'll notice that in my first post here, I didn't single out any one mod for doing this anymore than any others, aside from the fact that I mentioned being confused about why my bird mite thread was moved as well as my desire for it to be put back where it was. Honestly, when I read that post, I think it sounds pretty innocuous.

Then I made the post about the nods a day after that because no mods had responded in nearly 24 hours, which seemed like a strange non-response to what I thought was a pretty straightforward post. I do not actually think moderators make decisions based on how many nods a person gets (I hope not, anyway), but I found it amusing and sad that I'd gotten such a variety of nod-responses and yet no one had actually used words to respond to my post. More than a day went by before we even heard from a mod, who then responded with what I would describe as a half-joking/half-insulting diatribe, probably due to the tone of the posts from other people who responded to me before he got around to it.

For all the great things Astoria is and for all the people who live here are, and I mean everyone, I simply do not understand where this fear, anger and extreme sensitivity stems from.

I think the people here have been pretty clear about where it's coming from. But, again, instead of being treated like members of the community who might have a valid point, we're treated like assholes who just want to complain and bother the moderators. It doesn't seem like any of our complaints about this board's policies are seriously considered. Instead of engaging us in an actual discussion, we get told that we're overreacting and that we're being unfair to the volunteer moderators. Please understand that the reason we complain is because we want things to get better, not because we like pestering you. How many people have to say they hate the nods, and that the nods make them not want to post here, before the nod feature is disabled in the interest of having a better community? I don't understand this response from the mods and admin.

For those of you who feel disinclined to contribute on this site and for those of you who care about this forum take a good look at the postings in local chat: maybe you see differently but what I see are mostly complaints, complaints, complaints or a run down of the local police blotter.

Well, I tried posting a light-hearted but serious warning about pigeons building a nest in one's Astoria apartment window, but that thread got moved to Random Gabble.  :-P And, seriously, I have to say that that treatment of my post really does not make me ever want to start a new thread here again.

Offline 28Grand

• Global Moderator
  • Senator
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2009, 04:25:21 PM »
This is going nowhere. In case my point was lost on anyone let me be more clear: If any member has a question or takes issue with an action taken by a moderator, and expects an answer from one of us, please send a PM or use the report to moderator.

In case anyone doesn't know it the moderators are:
McDirk
AJTNYC
AstoriaLuv
Daisy
28Grand
merm (owner and administrator)

Believe it or not, we’re here to help -- really. The best option to contact us is to use the ‘report to moderator‘ function and your comment will be seen by all of us. It might take longer to receive a reply if you PM, but we do reply in due course. As Daisy said, we don’t live on this site. We love Astorians.com (and Astorians, the people, er, yeah the people too) but it don’t pay the rent.

For those who are interested to discover what this little skirmish is all about, essen posted an interesting, and a little bit freaky anecdote about . . .well, I’ll let you read for yourselves. It can be found here:
www.astorians.com/community/index.php?topic=16400.0
It’s the ultimate horrible neighbors story.

It was originally in Local Chat, but given it wasn’t specifically about the neighborhood and more a general interest story it was moved to Random Gabble where we thought more people would see and enjoy it. Please go take a look.

Things that make you go hmmmmm.

Hmmm…constant sniping, complaining and arguing over things that really don’t matter and then doing it all over again….yeah you’re right it’s the mods and the nods that are the problem.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 11:31:55 AM by AJTNYC »

Offline Hardkore

• Activist
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2009, 05:25:00 PM »
Hmmm…constant sniping, complaining and arguing over things that really don’t matter and then doing it all over again….yeah you’re right it’s the mods and the nods that are the problem.

Wow... seriously? That type of defensive attitude is really not helpful for any of us, especially when airing out grievances toward each other which, as a mod, you should objectively respond to. That's the problem. The mods take everything personally. Please look up the word "moderator" for a working definition. God forbid the over-modding might ACTUALLY be happening on this board and the mods here refuse to even consider it a possibility. Nice.

Offline essen

• Running for Governor
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2009, 05:49:49 PM »
I agree, Hardkore, especially when I just posted a very calm response to 28Grand, and he just blew it off and said the discussion is going nowhere. Of course it's going to go nowhere if that's your attitude. Sorry mods, but yes, it might be worth considering that maybe the moderating and the nods really are the problem here, not the people who are complaining about them. Anyone who thinks these complaints are about things that don't matter doesn't seem to think much of this forum or its members to begin with.

Offline AJTNYC

• Global Moderator
  • Running for President
  • Plays well with others...
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2009, 12:09:02 AM »
I'm really taken back by some of the responses that have been posted.  I have always been of the opinion that the thing that turns people off, if anything, is not the mods but the way people communicate on the board.  Getting all bent out of shape over the slightest thing, attacking members, making racist or discriminatory comments and yes, an action, no matter how simple, a mod has taken.  Maybe it is a reaction to a perceived authority, i don't know, but if you really step back and read some of these posts, i believe one, as a rational person, can't help but wonder...what the f___ is everyone getting so nuts over? 

For the record let me say that the first paragraph of my response to you essen, was totally said in jest.  I tried to start off by bringing some levity to my response and your thread.  I ended with a winky smile which I thought cures all evil...I'm sorry if you did not take well to my humor.

Hardkore, u think the mods take everything personally?  Trust me we don't.  It's curious how you accuse 28grand for being defensive when all you have done is attack.  Believe me, we take a deep breath and consider ALL grievances made.  Essen keeps mentioning the nod feature and why it still exists but ignores the fact that we have discussed this feature ad nauseum and the majority of people have said they like it or are not bothered by it.  Yet, there are always those who will never accept this fact and continue to raise the issue as if it is the be all and end all of this board.  By the way, Essen, you are amongst the first to bash the nod feature yet you seem to frequently wiggle in nod statistics in many of your posts.  Bash it or use it when it benefits you....pick one.

Essen, you criticize 28grand and agree with Hardkore..he's being defensive, the mods "take everything too personally", "please look up moderator for a working definition" (talk about condescending), "i just posted a very calm response" meanwhile in your earlier post you called my reasons for moving your thread "stupid" and "nonsensical".  Come on.  You are way too intelligent to unravel and attack as you have done  periodically throughout this thread. All I hear you saying is I was right and you were wrong and nothing that you or anyone else says makes a difference so move my thread.  Then it seems you attack everything else you perceive wrong with this board. I think you are better than that quite frankly.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 12:35:05 AM by AJTNYC »

Offline essen

• Running for Governor
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2009, 08:19:22 PM »
Essen keeps mentioning the nod feature and why it still exists but ignores the fact that we have discussed this feature ad nauseum and the majority of people have said they like it or are not bothered by it. 

I don't agree with this. Based on discussions we've had about them in the past, it seemed to me that several people who really like the nods don't post much to begin with. Some other people are ambivalent about them, either not caring whether they're there or not, or thinking that they're okay but that they should be disabled if they do bother a fair share of people here. None of that ever makes a difference to the mods and admin. As for my using the nod feature myself, yes, sometimes I use it. I think it's silly. I strongly believe this board would be better off without it, and that more interesting discussions would take place.

I can admit this thread wasn't an example of my most mature posting behavior, and I readily agree that calling your explanation stupid and nonsensical wasn't exactly Presidential of me. But it still bugs me that the best anyone who agrees with me (calmly or otherwise) can get is to either be ignored, blown off, or to be talked down to by the moderators and told that we're upset about nothing. No matter how calm or upset I sound, this is the response I'm met with. If I take issue with the thread moving or the nods, I'm basically just told to get over it. Whether you believe it or not, this stuff does bother a good amount of people who might otherwise have made worthwhile contributions to this board. Instead, we get a board that apparently requires drunkenness in order to be able to enjoy.

As for your humor, usually I can read it well, but calling my starting this thread "so unnecessary and divisive" didn't strike me as being playful. Before you posted that, I was pretty much being tongue-in-cheek. But after that my attitude was more along the lines of "WTF?" I was never irate about it, but after that I wasn't particularly concerned about being tactful.

It's worth noting that my being annoyed by the thread move actually didn't have anything to do with the number of people who would read the thread, or that I thought the thread was a great contribution to humanity, but that I truly believe it was a topical Life-In-Astoria post and therefore should've been left in the Astoria category. I spend all day organizing things at work, so to see one of my threads miscategorized bugs me. Then it bugs me additionally when a bunch of others agree with me, but still the thread doesn't get moved back. That there pretty much sums it up. If it makes you feel any better, I don't really care anymore. Right now, I'm putting off cleaning my room. Feel free to move the thread wherever else you want, and please - this goes for everybody - negative nod all of my posts.

Offline merm

• Administrator
  • Governor
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2009, 09:19:22 PM »
This thread is all over the place.

Offline kempsternyc

• Senator
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2009, 01:35:28 AM »
Instead, we get a board that apparently requires drunkenness in order to be able to enjoy.

:-D

Why, I think he means me.

The key here is that I only post when I am drunk. But I do read and enjoy this board many times during the week.....either drunk or sober. What you get out of this place is totally up to you.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life