relax

Author Topic: thread-moving shenanigans  (Read 9446 times)

Offline essen

• Running for Governor
thread-moving shenanigans
« on: October 20, 2009, 09:14:48 PM »
Dear Moderator folk,

Please use your thread moving abilities sparingly. There was no need to move my bird mite infestation thread to Random Gabble. It was a warning to people not to allow this to happen and might actually be helpful to people who live around here. Although I got into the storytelling aspect of the whole thing, the post was quite topical where it was posted originally. Seriously, I have no idea why that thread, of all threads, was moved, while my recent thread about Delicate Touch brand toilet paper was left where it was.

If a thread is even just somewhat based on living in Astoria, it should be left in an Astoria category if that's where it was posted. Given that we only get a few new threads in each category every day, there's no need to be gung ho about moving threads unless they're obviously completely unrelated to the category they were posted in.

In short, I would really like my "public service announcement" thread to be moved back to the local chat and issues category.

Offline essen

• Running for Governor
Re: thread-moving shenanigans
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 08:08:20 PM »
See, since no moderators have responded yet and the above post is apparently so polarizing, I get the impression that you guys are taking a tacit vote via nod to see what you should do. It is somewhat mildly interesting that this thread has a different nod count than the thread I'm talking about, where 12 people agreed that the thread should not have been moved. In conclusion, nods still serve no purpose.

Offline essen

• Running for Governor
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 09:59:09 PM »
I just positive nodded myself.

Offline Hardkore

• Activist
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 11:04:58 PM »
I hate the nods so much. Just sayin. They make me participate less on this forum than I think I would otherwise. Oh and also the crazy-heavy modship here. Leads to a pretty controlled flavor in the posts. There also appears to be less posts than in years past, probably in part due to the loss of freeze peach. But I would argue because of the heavy modding- it results in a kind of "adult contemporary" atmosphere here. Snooze.

Offline BronwynBurke

• Council Member
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 11:47:37 PM »
me too.........  :-(

Offline TRX

• Governor
  • It only makes me laugh
    • http://www.lp.org
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 07:16:27 AM »
I just like the word shenanigans.
Is it always plural?

If I see it, I am nearly compelled to give a + nod.

:lol:   :rock:
Life, Liberty, Happiness (pursuit of) and pasta

Offline lanseaux

• Governor
  • Mexico
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 07:38:10 AM »
I'm not quite sure why the bird mite thread referenced here was moved to random gabble, but the other pigeon thread is still in local chat and issues.  It seems inconsistent to me.

Offline paratactical

• Governor
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 11:12:28 AM »
I just don't see why it matters. It's not like there's a ton of traffic on the site or so many new posts that someone wouldn't be able to find it.

Offline Pinnochio

• Activist
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 11:36:19 AM »
Things are constantly getting moved around for no real purpose. It's just annoying, and no, I'm not going to spend my time doing searches for old posts that are no longer where they were. I just don't continue reading them.

Offline Sweeper

• Mayor
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 12:08:09 PM »
Why is "Board Announcements & Information" a child board for "Local Chat & Issues"?  Shouldn't this be a child of "Random Gabble"? I don't know why it bothers me to see a thread moved. Paratactical is right that it is not hard to find. But Essen obviously made a conscious decision to place the topic in an appropriate thread.

Offline paratactical

• Governor
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2009, 12:16:24 PM »
Things are constantly getting moved around for no real purpose. It's just annoying, and no, I'm not going to spend my time doing searches for old posts that are no longer where they were. I just don't continue reading them.

Use the "show unread posts since last visit" button and you can see all the updated threads, even if they have been moved.

Offline lanseaux

• Governor
  • Mexico
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2009, 12:19:15 PM »
I just don't see why it matters.

It's not only about moving an existing thread.  If people understand the rationale for why a thread is in a particular place, it can help them and others start new threads in the appropriate location.

Offline AJTNYC

• Global Moderator
  • Running for President
  • Plays well with others...
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2009, 01:23:26 PM »
Dear essen,

I'm here to respond to your written rant.  Forgive me for not responding sooner but I was curled up in a fetal position in the corner of my bedroom unable to come to grips with my evil thread moving shenanigans.  Please let me know the time and place I am to be hung so I can dress appropriately...  :wink:

Although I have difficulty understanding how upset you have gotten over my moving your thread I'm going to suggest that in the future you simply send us a pm or hit the report to moderator button and simply ask us for an explanation.  I find starting this thread (in the board announcements section no less) to be so unnecessary and divisive.  Also, your declaration of resentment over the move in your pigeon mites thread only served to derail a discussion of your important post.  We all try to timely respond to things which require a response but it is sometimes not so easy to do on an immediate basis.  I can assure you that we are not monitoring the nod feature, as you suggested, to decide which way we will go on an issue.  That would be silly.  I am perfectly capable of standing on my own two feet and expressing my opinion even if it may be contrary to the majority opinion.  I can also assure you that we do not move threads as a "shenanigan".  I'm certainly not sitting here plotting out how I can make your life miserable. 

Now on to why I chose to move your thread.  I don't agree with you when you say "If a thread is even just somewhat based on living in Astoria"  it should be deemed a local chat issue.  The bed bug thread was/is more of a local issue to me because it discusses the problem as being a pervasive problem within Astoria.  If there was a pigeon mite infestation problem in Astoria I would be inclined to leave your thread in local chat issues.  The pigeon thread referred to by lanseaux is in local chat because the original poster is discussing an ongoing pigeon s___ problem by her residence.  Also, you seem to be concerned that people will not see your thread because it was moved.  Please know that when anyone going through the local chat issue thread comes across your "Public Service Announcement" post and clicks on it, they will be redirected to your thread in Random Gabble.  So it's not like it is going to be seen any less than if it were in local chat.  Lastly, I do believe that your Delicate Touch toilet paper thread should have been moved to random gabble.  At the moment, I don't recall if we discussed it or if anyone noticed it.  Hey, we're obviously not perfect.  The bottom line is that we do are best here and we may not always be right and we don't always consult with each other before taking action. 

I'm sorry if my move caused you so much angst.  I appreciate and welcome questions or discussion regarding my moderating decisions so long as it is done in a productive manner.   

AJTNYC

Offline Sweeper

• Mayor
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2009, 01:48:55 PM »
I appreciate and welcome questions or discussion regarding my moderating decisions so long as it is done in a productive manner. 

Productive like without sarcasm?

Offline essen

• Running for Governor
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2009, 08:57:32 PM »
Although I have difficulty understanding how upset you have gotten over my moving your thread

First of all, no. I am not so upset, nor am I bent out of shape about this, nor does this make my life "miserable." Nor was that a "written rant." I simply found the decision to move my thread to be bizarre and arbitrary, and I wanted to know why it was moved. I also want the thread to be moved back to where it was originally posted, since that is the most logical place for it.

I'm going to suggest that in the future you simply send us a pm or hit the report to moderator button and simply ask us for an explanation.  I find starting this thread (in the board announcements section no less) to be so unnecessary and divisive.

And I find your arbitrary movement of my thread to be so unnecessary and divisive. Your response to my post here is much more hostile than my initial complaints about the thread move. If you're so big on communication, why didn't you start off by sending me a PM explaining why you were moving it instead of leaving it up to me if I feel like complaining about it? Clearly there is not so much going on on this board that the moderators should be too overwhelmed to offer an explanation for their moderating decisions as they happen, especially when it involves a regular member of the board who knows how to operate it properly. Seriously, did you think I took the time to write up that thread without caring where it ended up? Did you even think at all about what you were doing when you were doing it?

There's a major issue with your explanation here. Take a look at the home page. The "Local Chat" category is not called "Local Issues," and there is no stipulation that all threads must be about pest infestations or homeless people. It's called "Local Chat & Issues." The description is "Neighborhood-related general topics, issues & introductions. A great place to say hello or talk about Astoria NY or Long Island City in general." Your reasoning for why you moved the thread does not hold up.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life