relax

Author Topic: door-to-door "Major Energy" representative  (Read 2153 times)

Offline rnrollgirl

• Mayor
    • MySpace
door-to-door "Major Energy" representative
« on: August 04, 2009, 06:21:23 PM »
this posting has two purposes:  1) to see if anyone has a similar experience.... 2) to give a heads-up if you haven't.

i had a representative come to my door from a company called, "major energy."  she kept asking me to show her a copy of my coned bill.  i told her that i wasn't interested in switching utility companies.  she told me that i wouldn't be switching companies, as my billing would still be coming from coned and that they work in conjunction with coned to provide lower rates.  i was still too wary to show her anything. 

finally she said she just needed to see the bar chart on the statement that shows the month-to-month gas usage to see if we qualified for a discounted rate.  i showed her JUST THE CHART through my screen door.  when she saw that, she said that we qualified, and then she asked me for our coned account number.  now this i straight-out refused to do.  i told her that i simply wasn't comfortable passing that information to someone at my door.  she then said i could sign up online.  i checked out the site and they seemed legit, but i decided to call coned instead to see if this was a valid company and if this person's claims were true. 

coned said that they were legit, but that by passing on my coned information, i indeed would be switching services (the person at my door insisted that it's not considered a switch).  coned would bill me in their stead, but my service would be coming from this other company...then down the road a second bill would probably come from them (something about one company providing the gas, and coned delivering it).  coned couldn't tell me whose rates would be better.

so as skeptical as i am as to whether coned has the most competitive rates, i'm not necessarily convinced that they're not the best provider in the long run.  they certainly are the main provider in our area, so i'm more likely to stick by them.  i'm all for saving money, but not with a chance of risking our service.

has anyone ever switched...especially to this "Major Energy" company?  and, if you have switched, was it worth it (ie: how is new service and rates)?

Astorians

door-to-door "Major Energy" representative
« on: August 04, 2009, 06:21:23 PM »

Offline newastorian35

• Council Member
Re: door-to-door "Major Energy" representative
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 06:55:21 PM »
This topic has been posted about before.  I think they are called "IDT" and you will see from what others have posted that you should not show them your ConEd bill because they make the switch without your authorization.

Offline Harlan

• Governor
  • Lemon Pistachios
    • Photos...
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 07:11:52 PM »
This topic has been posted about before.  I think they are called "IDT" and you will see from what others have posted that you should not show them your ConEd bill because they make the switch without your authorization.

Here are the ESCOs for ConEd: http://www.poweryourway.com/residential_escos.asp IDT and Major Energy seem to be different...

Some of the ESCOs have a green product, where they promise to generate your electricity from renewable sources, at a somewhat higher cost: http://www.poweryourway.com/greenpower_escos.asp

Offline lizluv43

• Governor
    • Myspace page
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 08:43:41 PM »
I had someone come to my apartment back in May asking me to show her my bill.  I refused.  She acted like she couldn't believe that I didn't want to show her my bill.  She said that ConEd was going to raise their rates and said "Don't you want to keep you bill low?".  She further said "I can't understand why you don't want to show me your bill so I can go over a comparative chart with you". 

She got really bothered and upset and kept insisting...Finally, I said PLEASE LEAVE OR I'LL CALL THE POLICE, WHAT PART OF NO DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND?  THANKS BUT NO THANKS.  She just stood there and then left in a puff.

Perhaps I was a bit rude at the end but having been a victim of identity theft a few years ago there is NO WAY IN 4ELL that I am going to give anyone my personal information or account numbers. 

By the way...keep this in mind.  Many placed ask for a utility bill as proof of residence, how the heck do I know if she didn't use this number to somehow produce a fake bill (easily done with photoshop), insert my account, name, and address, print it out and viola...proof of residence.

If she would have continued to be insolent I would have called the police (not that they would have come...let alone pick up the phone at the precinct!).

I am immature by choice, I found that being mature was quite dreary. That's why I come to Astorians.com where every hour is Happy Hour!

Offline kempsternyc

• Senator
  • Me in a bowler hat and nowhere to go.
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 12:12:35 AM »
A friend of my here in Astoria signed up for the IDT scam.....and then we compared bills.

She was paying more than me and canceled with IDT.

They came into our building....my partner chased them off......

Not sure what it is all about....but it doesn't seem worth it.
I love talking about nothing father, it is the only thing I know anything about -

Lord Goring "An Ideal Husband"

Offline rnrollgirl

• Mayor
    • MySpace
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 09:53:16 AM »
yeah i tend to agree...not worth it.

i got the same reaction when i showed hesitation....like they couldn't believe i wasn't interested or that i had a problem showing them my bill.  the comparative chart that i showed them was through a screen door, they never held my bill, and certainly didn't have any way to copy that long coned account number.

anyhoo, thanks for any input.

Offline fivebyfive

• Citizen
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 11:56:32 AM »
The worst part is they will come back again with different sales reps of course. They are very pushy and persistent. You have to be firm and direct with them or else they will keep on giving you their sales pitch. I can spot an ESCO sales rep a mile away.

Offline purplecurlygirl

• Council Member
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 12:46:13 PM »
My comment here has information on a Brooklyn councilman who's asking for people (even outside of Brooklyn) to report this to his office so he can stop it.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life