relax

Author Topic: Roller Hockey Pickup Games in Astoria  (Read 14217 times)

Offline negtive

• Resident
    • http://erikfrick.com
Re: Roller Hockey Pickup Games in Astoria
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2010, 05:14:57 PM »
I skated by there yesterday actually and if the boards were busted up they must've been repaired now because all looked good to me...

Offline thanos27

• Senator
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2010, 12:09:36 AM »
Infested just means overrun or to inhabit. Doesnt have to do only with insects or bugs .

Offline NYCMacUser

• President
  • Bippidi Boppidi Boo!
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2010, 01:52:13 PM »
Infested just means overrun or to inhabit. Doesnt have to do only with insects or bugs .
I beg to differ.
Women are like teabags.
We don't know our true strength
until we are in hot water! —Eleanor Roosevelt

rg

« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2010, 02:01:28 PM »
I don't really see what's offensive about the use of the word infested here.  If he said it was infested by a bunch of Italian bocce players would you care so much?

Offline NYCMacUser

• President
  • Bippidi Boppidi Boo!
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2010, 02:22:35 PM »
I don't really see what's offensive about the use of the word infested here.  If he said it was infested by a bunch of Italian bocce players would you care so much?
Absolutely. Any type of ethnic or racial slur offends me. The word infested is a derogatory term and is to be only used pejoratively and in conjunction with insects, animals, bacterias, viruses, parasites and/or other harmful creatures that can infest. NOT PEOPLE.
Women are like teabags.

Offline MagicPie

• Governor
  • Don't get scared. Get organized!
    • Unjumbler Professional Organizing
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2010, 02:37:04 PM »
Can I be infested with a love of hockey? 

Offline NYCMacUser

• President
  • Bippidi Boppidi Boo!
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2010, 02:48:16 PM »
Can I be infested with a love of hockey? 
No. That would be an incorrect usage of the word infested. You can, however, be infested with bedbugs or crotch lice.
Women are like teabags.

Offline TRX

• Governor
  • It only makes me laugh
    • http://www.lp.org
Scrabble Re: Pickup Games
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2010, 02:57:59 PM »

who doesnt love semantics

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWkhmw_PLTw

Can you have an infestation of koala bears?

Can the internet be infested with Astorians?
I could go for an infestation of Red Vines.

What is the cure

ps agreed with the mama mac, I thought her first reply here had great tone.
Life, Liberty, Happiness (pursuit of) and pasta

rg

« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2010, 10:04:57 AM »
Absolutely. Any type of ethnic or racial slur offends me. The word infested is a derogatory term and is to be only used pejoratively and in conjunction with insects, animals, bacterias, viruses, parasites and/or other harmful creatures that can infest. NOT PEOPLE.

Wrong.  Infested is not a racial slur.  Stop being so sensitive.  You are applying racism here purely because of your oversensitivity to political correctness. 

Infested means to overrun in large enough quantities to be harmful.  If large numbers of people have overrun the hockey rink in a way that was damaging to the boards, or the surface, or any aspect of it, then infested is a completely proper usage of the word.  Just because you wouldn't personally apply it to an occurrence involving people does not mean it is an improper usage of it.  Likewise saying "that abandoned building is infested with vagrants" wouldn't be inappropriate either.

Offline NYCMacUser

• President
  • Bippidi Boppidi Boo!
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2010, 08:22:06 PM »
Wrong.  Infested is not a racial slur.  Stop being so sensitive.  You are applying racism here purely because of your oversensitivity to political correctness. 

Infested means to overrun in large enough quantities to be harmful.  If large numbers of people have overrun the hockey rink in a way that was damaging to the boards, or the surface, or any aspect of it, then infested is a completely proper usage of the word.  Just because you wouldn't personally apply it to an occurrence involving people does not mean it is an improper usage of it.  Likewise saying "that abandoned building is infested with vagrants" wouldn't be inappropriate either.
I am so far on the other side of political correctness that you couldn't even find me with a telescope!

I just don't treat people like insects no matter their race, country of origin, religion, age, gender or sexual preference. It's just simply wrong.

I would be more than happy to share my comprehensive and authoritative knowledge/qualifications and post grad degree(s) in English, usage and applications, if you would be kind enough to share yours.

Hmm, how many people would be sensitive to the expression that: The cost of property in this neighborhood is exponentially equated with the infestation of Greek expats who are planning on returning to their homeland as soon as they get wealthy from the sale of their artificially inflated property values.

This is the United States of America. As of now, our national language is English. I don't care if you can't speak it well, or if you don't speak it at all, but when you do, allow yourself to be corrected so that you learn it the right way and not be considered stupid by either mispronunciation or incorrect usage. My parents were foreigners who both went to night school to perfect their language skills in order to assimilate and yet they retained their individuality. I am proud of their accomplishments in life and the way they insisted that their children learn the proper way to communicate in 5 different languages. I have a love of English and how expressive it is. And until you can match my expertise in the subject, I will have nothing further to say on this subject.
Women are like teabags.

Offline negtive

• Resident
    • http://erikfrick.com
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2010, 11:51:21 PM »

rg

« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2010, 09:02:32 AM »
I am so far on the other side of political correctness that you couldn't even find me with a telescope!

I just don't treat people like insects no matter their race, country of origin, religion, age, gender or sexual preference. It's just simply wrong.

I would be more than happy to share my comprehensive and authoritative knowledge/qualifications and post grad degree(s) in English, usage and applications, if you would be kind enough to share yours.

Hmm, how many people would be sensitive to the expression that: The cost of property in this neighborhood is exponentially equated with the infestation of Greek expats who are planning on returning to their homeland as soon as they get wealthy from the sale of their artificially inflated property values.

This is the United States of America. As of now, our national language is English. I don't care if you can't speak it well, or if you don't speak it at all, but when you do, allow yourself to be corrected so that you learn it the right way and not be considered stupid by either mispronunciation or incorrect usage. My parents were foreigners who both went to night school to perfect their language skills in order to assimilate and yet they retained their individuality. I am proud of their accomplishments in life and the way they insisted that their children learn the proper way to communicate in 5 different languages. I have a love of English and how expressive it is. And until you can match my expertise in the subject, I will have nothing further to say on this subject.

Can you show me your PhD in douchebaggery as well?  Only the highest of high assholes would brag about knowing 5 languages and having a bunch of pieces of paper from universities. 

Besides the fact you can't even seem to keep your argument straight - first there was a problem with the comment being racist, now your issue is just with the proper usage of the word?  I guess you don't have an advanced degree in debate or keeping your arguments straight.  Cheers and have a great day!

Offline casicua

• Senator
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2010, 02:27:47 PM »
Not to keep this thread off-topic, but according to Merriam Webster:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/infest
1 : to spread or swarm in or over in a troublesome manner <a slum infested with crime> <shark-infested waters>
2 : to live in or on as a parasite

It makes no mention of the use of the word "infest" as specific to insects. While it does reference the word "parasite", that is another word that is not necessarily exclusive to bugs or insects.

Maybe this thread is infested with political correctness?  :-o

« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 02:38:26 PM by casicua »

Offline thanos27

• Senator
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2010, 01:59:21 AM »
Someone just got Whored down hardcore !!!!

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life