relax

Author Topic: Roller Hockey Pickup Games in Astoria  (Read 14215 times)

Offline gladys

• Resident Visa
Roller Hockey Pickup Games in Astoria
« on: July 08, 2009, 01:10:35 PM »
Hello all -

Anyone interested in playing in some friendly PU roller hockey games in Astoria, please email me: tmcgonagle19@yahoo.com

I've been rounding up people on the streets (stopping strangers who are carrying hockey gear) and we've got a few people now - all we need is a few more to have a decent, hopefully consistent number.  If you're aware of any already existing PU games, please share as well.

Thanks!

Offline thanos27

• Senator
Re: Roller Hockey Pickup Games in Astoria
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 01:23:17 PM »
Where would u be playing in astoria ?   I know the outdoor rink on 28st and 34 ave is being over run by mexicans playing soccer every weekend and they have destroyed the boards , ripped out the yellow lining which allowed the puck to be whipped around the rink . The people who run or ran the rink now lock up the nets too as they were getting messed up also .   I know some hockey players shoot around at hoyt park which is on 29st under the train  next to neptune diner and they are always shooting around . Most of the time they dont have a goalie though.

Offline gladys

• Resident Visa
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 02:59:28 PM »
Location is open to suggestion - it'd be nice to make use of that rink somehow - whether that requires playing weeknights or cleaning it up a bit.  Perhaps I can track down a contact to the management of the park.

I've heard of the games by Hoyt park, perhaps that's the best starting place.  As I said, any and all suggestions are welcome.  I personally plan on checking out Hoyt this Saturday AM, and maybe doing some local scouting elsewhere as well.

Offline thanos27

• Senator
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 02:47:51 AM »
Usually people get to hoyt around 1pm or maybe even later . Those late nights rnt easy to get up early from the next day as  i know alot of the guys r around there are 21-23 yrs old .  I went by there last sunday and it was great to skate around , but the goalie never showed .   Only dedicated hockey fans shoot at a garbage can turned on its side :)

Offline NYCGoalie

• Council Member
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 10:14:02 AM »
The rink is run by the YMCA is Long Island City (on behalf of the City).  The adjacent school (144 I believe) doesn't really have anything to do with it.  But I doubt the Y would allow use of the nets for anything other than league games.

If more people play hockey there, you'd see less soccer being played there.  Trust me, those guys are harmless, and they certainly wouldn't mess with a bunch of guys carrying sticks.  All they want to do is play soccer.  But if the rink was actually being used for hockey, they'd just look to play elsewhere. 

Heck, a few of them may probably end up watching.  When I would play league games there, you'd be surprised at the size of the Latin crowd who just stood around and watched.  Remember, it's basically just soccer with skates and sticks.  Not that difficult to follow along.

The funny part was, since I'm Latin, they would be kinda surprised to see me play as well.  I'd often get some puzzling looks after I took off my skates and walked home.  But then again, as the only Brown person with equpment on, I should have expected them to be a little taken aback by me.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 10:22:57 AM by NYCGoalie »

Offline PJ

• Senator
  • AQ420 Team
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 12:47:28 PM »
Hey, me and my brother play street roller hockey and have been looking to play with other, once in a while we set the net up on 20th rd and 32nd st......when / where do you people play ?

Astoria.....\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"A Shady Place For Shady People"\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\......So LOVE it OR LEAVE IT !!!!

Offline thanos27

• Senator
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 09:45:34 PM »
LOOKING TO GET A GAME GOING THIS SUNDAY MORNING  10AM . THE MORE THE BETTER  , ESP IF U HAVE ANY GOALIE FRIENDS /      37ST AND 21ST AVE ? I GUESS THEIRS A PARK THERE WITH SMOOTH SURFACE .

Offline PJ

• Senator
  • AQ420 Team
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 09:11:11 AM »
LOOKING TO GET A GAME GOING THIS SUNDAY MORNING  10AM . THE MORE THE BETTER  , ESP IF U HAVE ANY GOALIE FRIENDS /      37ST AND 21ST AVE ? I GUESS THEIRS A PARK THERE WITH SMOOTH SURFACE .

there is.... but its more between 20rd and 20th ave on 37th street, up the block from best yet and down the block from 141....
Astoria.....\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"A Shady Place For Shady People"\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\......So LOVE it OR LEAVE IT !!!!

Offline thanos27

• Senator
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 02:39:34 PM »
yea i guess ,   thats the adress the email said that people sent out for sundays game .  But u are right , its more like 20th ave .

Offline fishbulb

• Activist
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2009, 12:07:16 AM »
I know this is an old thread, but I would love to dust off the old blades and jump in a few games.  Is this still going on?

Offline thanos27

• Senator
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2009, 01:12:20 AM »
Seems like roller hockey in astoria has been dead , cant find anyone that is playing . Lucky i did find that they play pickup games in whitestone at the outdoor hockey rink right off 20th ave exit on the whitestone bridge . Usually wed and thurs nights  at around 7-8pm . They have great lights and usually 2 goalies as well . If u are interested let me know

Offline kfaeldon

• Tourist
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2010, 10:34:39 PM »
NO one uses Chappetto Square anymore?

I use to pass by and see roller hockey being played there...
lately its been locked up.

Offline NYCGoalie

• Council Member
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2010, 02:01:48 PM »
NO one uses Chappetto Square anymore?
Chappetto Square (or "the Cheesebox", as it's more commonly referred to due to it's triangular shape) was a tremendously popular place in my youth for hockey.  Then again, when I was younger (so many eons ago, ugh), hockey was pretty big in Astoria. 

Hockey in the fall/spring. baseball in the summer...that's how most kids spent thier youth.  Not much basketball and football to really speak of. 

The NYC Parks Department used to provide metal nets for use during the year.  I noticed over the last few years that the nets were locked up, then eventually removed.  Most of the kids today don't play hockey (I blame most mothers nowadays, but that's a different conversation for a different thread) and Cheesebox was then filled with latin immigrants who used the field to play soccer. 

I haven't been around the park in some time.  Why it's completely locked up I do not know. 

Sad commentary on Astoria life if it is though.

Offline thanos27

• Senator
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2010, 04:16:51 PM »
Yea i played at  the cheesebox all my youth and then also at hoyt park . We had great games  and we had soooo many people playing , sometimes we needed full line changes,.  Now no one seems to play anymore . Totally sucks /

Offline Ludafish27

• Tourist
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2010, 05:29:19 PM »
I live in Bayside right next to the rink in Fort Totten Park.  Every once in a while I go over there and skate around, but it's pretty run down and there's no goals, so I can see why nobody else uses it.  I think people are starting to use it as a dog run since no one's ever there.  But I've been looking online since I moved to here 2 years ago, looking for any kind of league or games.  If you guys get something going, I'd definitely be interested.  What kind of skill level are we talking anyway?  I'm no all-star or anything.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life