relax

Author Topic: MTA to BAN all photography in subways  (Read 3119 times)

Offline merm

• Administrator
  • Governor
MTA to BAN all photography in subways
« on: November 30, 2004, 03:14:24 PM »
PLEASE read the following article. It's starting to feel like we live in a military state.

http://www.ny1.com/ny/TopStories/SubTopic/index.html?topicintid=1&subtopicintid=1&contentintid=45737

Then take a second to express your concern: http://mta-nyc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/mta_nyc.cfg/php/enduser/ask.php

Offline windowsrefund

• Citizen
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2004, 01:02:31 PM »
When will we learn to stop sacrificing freedom in the name of security? Anyone who thinks that laws can stop someone from taking pictures of a bridge or subway needs to stop kidding themselves. With today's technology, cameras and video recorders can be embedded into anything. Therefore, it is impracticle to think that we can detect anything beyond the unknowing tourist taking snapshots of a beautiful sunset.

To those that would trade my freedoms I say, freedom has a price. If you're not willing to pay that price, you should pack your things and leave. I do not subscribe to your illusion of false security.

zeno

MTA ban lifted?
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2005, 04:07:14 PM »
I have heard from a trusted member of our community that the ban has been lifted. If this is so, then we are headed in the right direction. Please allow me more time to gather details, or please feel free to post them yourself.

----Zero.

Offline lanseaux

• Governor
  • Mexico
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2005, 04:49:52 PM »
I was the one who told Zeno that, but I wasn't aware of the reinstatement of the proposed ban that's mentioned in the article.  I was referring to the initial proposed ban, which was withdrawn sometime this past spring, I think.

I'm looking into it.  The odd thing is that the NY1 article says that it was published in the New York State Register last week, and that the 45 day comment period will end on January 10.  I've been looking through the Register, and I can't find any reference to it at all (although I'm not done looking), but even more puzzling, for this week's Register, the 45 day comment period ends November 12.  Will report back.

Offline wasabisam

• Senator
  • Missing Astoria
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2005, 06:50:40 PM »
This article was from several months to a year ago. Unfortunately they (NY1) don't make that clear on their website. That's probably why it's confusing!
Chief Wiggum: Uh, no, you got the wrong number. This is 9-1... 2.
My vegan recipes blog

Offline lanseaux

• Governor
  • Mexico
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2005, 08:16:19 PM »
I thought that might be the case, but hadn't had time to check further.  Thanks for clearing that up!

zeno

It's going to be a long long time... Elton John
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2005, 08:44:24 PM »
I wonder how often they really want to update their info. :-Z
This is a good example of why we should support Free Software Foundation

http://www.fsf.org/

and

Gnu's Not Unix:

http://www.gnu.org/

Offline merm

• Administrator
  • Governor
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2005, 10:08:01 PM »
I posted that almost exactly one year ago. Looks like NY1 has a "date" column on their site that makes it look like the story is actually from today's date. That's not good..

Oh well. Great news! I definately wrote to them about it and wondered what had happened.

Offline lanseaux

• Governor
  • Mexico
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2005, 10:13:15 PM »
And you can see how closely I paid attention to the date on the OP.  I see the confusion was mine.  Oy.

It's funny, the way the article was worded, it really did sound like they were proposing it again.  I was looking way too hard at the trees.

zeno

Dear Merm....
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2005, 10:15:18 PM »
NY1 has just recieved your letter and hopes to have a response hopefully later within the year.

Sincerely,
Your friendly news station New York 1 :-)

---------------------------------------------
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a face forever."- InParty Member Comrade O'Brien (1984)

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life