relax

Author Topic: Discussion of Citywide Elections  (Read 8288 times)

Offline daisy

• President
Re: Discussion of Citywide Elections
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2009, 07:48:08 PM »
I know plenty of people who live in areas of Queens, the Bronx, and Brooklyn who do not live anywhere near public transportation and who are by no means wealthy.  To imply that everyone that drives into the city is wealthy implies a lack of understanding of working class issues and I'm surprised to hear this view at all.  What a nonsensical statement.   Having a car by no means means you're wealthy.  Lots of time it is out of pure necessity. 

I do not know who I'm voting for.  I don't have much against Bloomberg but I don't have much for him either.  I'll have to do some more research.  I will say Bloomberg's constant flyer mailings are very annoying and a complete waste of trees and money.  It's having the opposite effect on me than its intention.  If he's so into Green, he wouldn't send these flyers out.  I'm not even a Republican and I'm getting them!

Offline essen

• Governor
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2009, 09:56:38 PM »
I will say Bloomberg's constant flyer mailings are very annoying and a complete waste of trees and money.  It's having the opposite effect on me than its intention.  If he's so into Green, he wouldn't send these flyers out.  I'm not even a Republican and I'm getting them!

No kidding. My opinion of Bloomberg comes from living in the city he's been the mayor of, not from any flyers being stuffed through my mail slot now or TV commercials. All they show me is how much money he's able to spend on this campaign.

Offline QueensCrapper

• Resident
    • Queens Crap
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2009, 08:37:42 AM »
If those who profit off teardowns and wholesale destruction of Queens history, are against Avella, then it looks like I chose the right candidate.

Sorry that the message getting out there that Queens isn't a big bowl of cherries because it suddenly has luxury condos disturbs certain folks.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 08:44:53 AM by QueensCrapper »
Sick of overdevelopment?  You can do something about it!  People of Queens, UNITE!

Offline Christine

• Governor
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2009, 12:36:05 AM »
What neo11 said.

Mayor's "green" initiatives = the color of money.

And not everybody who owns a car is filthy-stinkin' rich. The car I drive is considered "totalled" by the insurance company- after Mom got hit while driving it, she no longer wanted it. Runs just fine despite its crumpled exterior. I do a lot of out-of-town driving, and am a lowly city employee earning nearly half what I did when in the private sector. I avoid driving into NYC for the most part- no reason to do so (too much aggrivation.)

While I endorse bicyclist and pedestrian rights, I can't agree with the East River tolls. Just more "green" for the Mayor's pockets. His desperation to make this happen makes me highly suspicious of his true interest.

I heard that the Naked Cowboy is running for mayor {{{{sigh}}}} I should hope more alternatives throw their hats in the ring.

"Apparently these are the best women Queens has to offer. Now pick one and let's go home."

Offline TRX

• Governor
  • It only makes me laugh
    • http://www.lp.org
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2009, 06:14:43 PM »
The primaries are coming up soon Sept. 15. Debates have been taking place.
When was the last year there have been so much contest? I hope many Democrats come out and choose well. Often the Dem candidate wins out in the general election.

I imagine quite a few but not all Democrats and Bloomberg supporters are glad to see term limits were overturned.
My applause is for those who voted to respect the results of the voter referendum.

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/10/23/council-to-debate-term-limits-change/

:-)
Supported voters on term limits
Tony Avella of Queens]   

Bill de Blasio of Brooklyn]
Eric N. Gioia of Queens]      
:-o Against term limits    :-o
John C. Liu of Queens]          
David I. Weprin of Queens ]                
Melinda R. Katz of Queens, yes

David Yassky of Brooklyn, yes
Peter F. Vallone Jr. of Queens, yes   
                                          Christine C. Quinn of Manhattan, yes   

http://www.vote.nyc.ny.us/candidateslist.html

Depending on primary results, may again vote pretty much independent.

http://www.nyccfb.info/public/index.aspx?sm=public_

Primary Election on September 15, 2009
Life, Liberty, Happiness (pursuit of) and pasta

Offline essen

• Governor
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2009, 08:47:42 PM »
Did anyone see the debate on NY1 tonight? Yikes! Thompson seemed to be trying to be cordial (more of a "let's unite against Bloomberg" attitude), but Avella was crapping all over everyone.

Offline TRX

• Governor
  • It only makes me laugh
grrr Rant Re: of Citywide Elections
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2009, 11:55:41 AM »
[Not related. RIP Swayze]   :cry:

Why did you or did you not vote in the Primaries today?

This is a bit rantish. I do hope Democrats want to and do vote today.

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/15/polls-open-for-primary-election/?hp

After seeing some of the debates, maybe you say let's flip a coin or roll a dice. Or let someone else pick. Or maybe govt. management is fine enough that you are comfortable to simply let others vote.

As one Libertarian/independent/city voter, I am looking at this primary as a referendum on the city Democratic party. If you care about your nominees, then I might too. If you dont, why should I?

I ask members of major parties to consider all the candidates available on the ballot. So, I also consider the major party candidates as well.
Soon enough, we will see who are the nominees for the general election.

Voters have choices. You can exercise your right to vote.
Better wishes.

___
I will follow the race for mayor. The one thing that I expect is to not vote for 12 years of the same.

Offline Harlan

• Governor
  • Lemon Pistachios
    • Photos...
Re: grrr Rant Re: of Citywide Elections
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2009, 08:44:14 PM »
Why did you or did you not vote in the Primaries today?

I voted, but I decided who I was voting for only this morning, after perusing some endorsements. It's hard to get enthusiastic when voting for a mayoral candidate who has little chance in November, a race for a comptroller position that really shouldn't be elected, and a race for a public advocate position with essentially no power.

Offline essen

• Governor
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2009, 11:21:59 PM »
I watched the debates leading up to this, and most of the candidates seemed like your typical politician. The ones that didn't clearly had no chance of winning. I voted for the ones who didn't have a chance, mostly because they were different, not because I thought they were awesome. My reason for being a registered Democrat as opposed to independent is because I want to be able to vote in primaries. So I did.

I'm surprised John Liu won, with his exaggerated sweatshop story.

Offline kempsternyc

• Senator
  • Me in a bowler hat and nowhere to go.
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2009, 12:51:32 AM »

I'm surprised John Liu won, with his exaggerated sweatshop story.

John Liu didn't win....he didnt get 40%...He's in a runoff against Yassky. I voted for Liu....but now I am reconsidering.
I love talking about nothing father, it is the only thing I know anything about -

Lord Goring "An Ideal Husband"

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2009, 08:20:17 AM »
I think the results yesterday were very interesting.  Queens now will have two openly gay Councilmembers - Daniel Dromm and Jimmy Van Bramer.  My candidate, Mark Weprin, won with over 50% of the vote.  Turnout was very low - we had expected at least 10,000 and only got around 9,000 voters. 

Thompson is a good man and the Mayoral race will tighten as people get to know him. Can his honesty, hard work and message overcome Bloomberg's billions?  I don't know - but we'll find out soon enough.

I backed David Weprin, but I am a huge John Liu fan.  I know John very well and he is a good friend.  While the Daily News has attacked him on the sweatshop story, I believe him and think that he will make an outstanding Comptroller.  I look forward to voting for him in the run-off.

While our own Eric Gioia did make the run-off, he ran a strong campaign and organized a lot of new voices for the Democratic party.  He'll be back - Congrats to him for his new baby!  I did not expect Bill DeBlasio to do better than Gioia, but he ran an amazing campaign.  I was incredibly impressed - Bill is what everyone hopes to find in an elected official.  He is smart, creative, personable and just one dedicated public servant.  Mark Green, who also made the run-off is also very smart - he achieved a lot and did provocative reports when he was previously Public Advocate.  While I still do not get why he would ever want to come back, if elected, he would also be a good choice. 

Offline TRX

• Governor
  • It only makes me laugh
runoffs and Thompson Re: Discussion of Citywide Elections
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2009, 12:00:59 PM »
When known, Id like to know what are the runoff races. And what are the recommendations for the candidates.
Saw some of the debates for Advocate and all the candidates came off pretty well to me.
The Controller race is a bit more interesting.

Are there any runoffs for any Council districts?

I was glad to see some Council incumbents will be finding new work.

It has been some time since NY has had a Democratic mayor. Do you believe Thompson would do a fine job, or one as well as the mayor?
I like Thompson's resume. I'd like to see if he has any meaningful private sector experience.
Is it silly to hope for any taxpayer relief? Better budget management?

http://www.thompson2009.com/

___
ps sorry to see Siegal and Gioia could not make it further

Offline TRX

• Governor
  • It only makes me laugh
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2009, 12:17:22 PM »
By way of Wiki, I found what I think is a relevant but older article.
On the role of Controller, Thompson, and bio.

Note this is from 2001.
Thompson is now running for Mayor.

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/08/25/nyregion/race-for-bookkeeper-in-chief-dull-but-significant.html

Race for Bookkeeper in Chief: Dull but Significant

Offline kempsternyc

• Senator
  • Me in a bowler hat and nowhere to go.
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2009, 07:07:12 PM »

I backed David Weprin, but I am a huge John Liu fan.  I know John very well and he is a good friend.  While the Daily News has attacked him on the sweatshop story, I believe him and think that he will make an outstanding Comptroller.  I look forward to voting for him in the run-off.

Mark Green, who also made the run-off is also very smart - he achieved a lot and did provocative reports when he was previously Public Advocate.  While I still do not get why he would ever want to come back, if elected, he would also be a good choice. 

Thanks for the head's up on John Liu. I did kind of feel that the Daily News story was a hit piece. hmmm.....well, I got some thinking to do.

As far as Mark Green is concerned. His wanting to come back is due to the Term Limits debacle. I'm going to vote for him because I know he will be a thorn in the side of Bloomberg if he wins....and you are right, Thompson does have a hard fight ahead of him.
I love talking about nothing father, it is the only thing I know anything about -

Lord Goring "An Ideal Husband"

Offline TRX

• Governor
  • It only makes me laugh
Thompson enough Re: Discussion of Citywide Elections
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2009, 06:12:52 PM »

If you think the mayor should be in office for 12 years, perhaps you might want to contribute $12.
He could use it, right?

Thompson believes Eight years is enough for the incumbent. Bill Thompson will campaign to explain why he should lead for the next four.

He asks that you contribute, about the price of a Big Mac meal, $8.
I can go for at least one of Bill's campaign issues.

New Yorkers for Bill Thompson
99 Madison, 7th Floor
New York, NY 10016

https://donate.thompson2009.com/page/contribute/website

Bill Thompson's vision for New York includes creating new, good-paying jobs, putting the public back in public education, and creating and preserving more affordable housing options.

a mayor for all New Yorkers - not just the rich and powerful.

Help us keep the momentum going. Help us share Bill's vision. Help us tell Republican Mike Bloomberg that eight years is enough!

You have the power to bring change to City Hall - help us get our message out by donating $8 today.

http://www.thompson2009.com/eight

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life