relax

Author Topic: Discussion of Citywide Elections  (Read 7793 times)

Offline costa01

• Council Member
Discussion of Citywide Elections
« on: July 05, 2009, 02:04:56 AM »
With the democratic primaries coming up in a few weeks, 74 days to be exact, who does everyone support for Public Advocate, Comptroller or Mayor??

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
Re: Discussion of Citywide Elections
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 03:06:22 AM »
Bill Thompson for Mayor!

Offline essen

• Running for Governor
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 12:12:38 PM »
I haven't done much research on the candidates yet, but is there a reason why you're supporting Bill Thompson over Tony Avella, mcdirk? In the little I've read about both of them so far, the worst thing about Avella seems to be his Julia Roberts lips (courtesy of Richard Simmons). Bill Thompson strikes me as more of a run-of-the-mill Democratic politician than Avella.

Offline essen

• Running for Governor
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 12:37:38 PM »
I just found that the Queens Crapper endorses Tony Avella.  :lol:
http://queenscrap.blogspot.com/
He seems to have the "overdevelopment" issue in his favor.

Oh, and I have to say I like that in this discussion about other candidates, I got a Bloomberg For Mayor ad from Google in the middle of the page.

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 12:44:40 PM »
I just found that the Queens Crapper endorses Tony Avella.  :lol:

Well, for me, that automatically destroys his credibility as a candidate.  I will not be voting for him because of this endorsement.

Offline essen

• Running for Governor
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 12:49:25 PM »
Well, why? I'm just looking for reasons on both of them.

Offline megc

• President
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 02:11:03 PM »
LOL, negative nods.  :lol:

I don't consider Queens Crap to be a reputable source for anything.  I find their viewpoint to be way too narrow for my taste, and if Avella falls within their hairline POV, then he is not the candidate for me. 

Offline essen

• Running for Governor
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2009, 02:27:47 PM »
I do agree that it's a hairline POV, but consider the other two candidates. Bloomberg, from their perspective, has been seen as presiding over the overdevelopment of the city, so he's automatically out. And between Thompson and Avella, Avella seems to be the only one actually concerned about irresponsible development and misuse of eminent domain. By default, Queens Crapper endorses him. I don't think it's fair to use that against him. It's not like he's going around saying "Hey! Vote for me because I won the endorsement of the Queens Crap blog!"

Offline megc

• President
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2009, 02:35:22 PM »
There may not be a viable candidate for me in this election. I'll just have to see how things go, and what I uncover in my research over the coming months.

Offline essen

• Running for Governor
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2009, 02:42:21 PM »
I feel the same way, which is why I was wondering why mcdirk is already so comfortable with Thompson. It's too early for me to endorse anyone, but I'm not going to write Avella (or anyone) off just because an angry Queens real estate blog supports him. You can't always choose your fans, and at this point he needs all the free publicity he can get since the others have millions/billions more dollars to spend.

Offline Harlan

• Governor
  • Lemon Pistachios
    • Photos...
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2009, 04:52:11 PM »
Hm, I'd prefer a Democrat to Bloomberg, but I'm not close to being sold on anybody yet.

I looked through Thompson's policy statements on his campaign page. They're OK, for the most part, except:

Joined a coalition of State and City elected officials in opposing tolls on the East and Harlem River bridges which would create an unwieldy hardship on working families and small businesses and unfairly harm hard-working people who live in boroughs other than Manhattan.

Nice. Support rich people with cars who drive over the bridges over the poorer people who take the subway. What a nonsensical statement.

That alone will prevent me from supporting him in the primary. Bloomberg is so good on Green transportation and growth policies that I'm reluctant to vote for anyone else, although he certainly has big negatives in other areas (that I personally care less about).

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2009, 04:55:23 PM »
I know both Tony Avella and Bill Thompson very well personally and like them both as people.  I've actually given them both money in their bids for Mayor.  I'm backing Bill for a number of reasons.  First, he's already a citywide elected official with the experience in managing city agencies - someone who could actually do the job of Mayor from day one.  Tony has managed an 8 person city council staff, and while a smart man, and someone who is against development, has actually been one of the least effective members of the city council - he tends to take the right positions, but  not play well with others, which while acceptable in an Executive position (for which he is running and for which he is much better suited than a legislative position, in which he currently serves), has made him pretty ineffective.  I worry that Tony can not raise the money to get his message out, I don't think he has a citywide base to win either the primary or the election.  Second, I trust Bill Thompson more than I do Tony or Mike - he's honest and he always works to do the right thing and achieve good results.  He works with the Mayor when he has to in order to get results  and with Speaker Quinn when he needs her help - he doesn't make his political opponents into enemies.  Hope that helps.

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2009, 04:59:17 PM »
Hm, I'd prefer a Democrat to Bloomberg, but I'm not close to being sold on anybody yet.

I looked through Thompson's policy statements on his campaign page. They're OK, for the most part, except:

Nice. Support rich people with cars who drive over the bridges over the poorer people who take the subway. What a nonsensical statement.

That alone will prevent me from supporting him in the primary. Bloomberg is so good on Green transportation and growth policies that I'm reluctant to vote for anyone else, although he certainly has big negatives in other areas (that I personally care less about).

I personally support tolls on the East River Bridges, but working out in Eastern Queens, in a city council district in which there are no LIRR stations nor MTA subway stations, has made me understand their point of view a good bit more.  The folks who live out here are working class people - not wealthy, mainly teachers, firefighters, police, sanitation workers, union people, but not wealthy like they are along the Northern coast of LI - they live in moderate co-ops and many drive because they don't have good access to mass transit.  I end up getting a lift to the LIRR each night and then paying a subway fare in addition to the almost $6 fare to get from Bayside to Woodside to get home, which sucks.  To get out in the morning, I take a train to another train to a bus, and it takes an hour and 30 minutes most days.  It's not an easy commute.  If you have a car, it takes about 20 minutes, less than that if you speed.  I'm not sure what can be done to be fair to people who live this far out who are also NYC residents and are far from wealthy.

Offline megc

• President
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2009, 05:50:37 PM »
I enjoyed so much voting for my candidate of choice in the Presidential election, that I don't want to go back to voting for someone "by default" or vote against someone rather than for them.  I'm hopeful to have someone to vote for, rather than against.

Offline neo11

• Mayor
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2009, 07:04:49 PM »

Yes....every morning at Queens Plaza I see the Porsches, Lamborghinis, BMW's and Mercedes backed up all waiting to cross into Manhattan.  Never any service vehicles or shabby, beat-up cars which poor people would drive!   :roll:

The only "Green" he's good about is money (for his wallet).

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life