relax

Author Topic: Best Gym in Ditmars Area?  (Read 2679 times)

Offline liman73

• Activist
  • Let's Go Mets! F-A-N... Da-Na-Na!
Best Gym in Ditmars Area?
« on: June 24, 2009, 11:56:47 AM »
I am looking to join a gym as soon as possible, and am wondering if anyone has any recommendations. I know the Rock is right down the block but I think that's a little out of my price range.

Are there any gyms in the Ditmars area for 40 dollars a month or less? I heard there is a fairly cheap gym on Ditmars in that shopping center on like 43rd St. where Portabella is. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks.

"Trickling, it is a fair ball....gets by Buckner! Rounding third Knight! The Mets will win the ball game! They Win! They Win!"

Astorians

Best Gym in Ditmars Area?
« on: June 24, 2009, 11:56:47 AM »

Offline C-J

• Senator
Re: Best Gym in Ditmars Area?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 12:35:02 PM »
Check with your health insurance company as there are several different programmes that subsidize your gym membership.  I know that the Rock participates in one such programme.

Offline madama

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 01:26:30 PM »
With the lousy economy, gyms are becoming much more flexible in terms of the deals they'll do with potential customers.  While you might not be able to get a yearly Rock membership for $500, it probably wouldn't hurt to check them out and see what kind of deal you could cut.

Don't know much about the Matrix, but the few people I know who are / were members said it was well-run with a good staff...

And of course, if you only want to look good, then you can fake tan to your hearts content at a bunch of places around Ditmars and 31st... :-)

Offline ladydi

• Mayor
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 02:00:29 PM »
I don't know if it's still there, but there was a Curves on Ditmars Blvd. I think it was between 32nd -33 Streets.
I'm a member of the Rock and I love it. It's well run, with great classes and equipment.

They do participate in one of the insurance programs - I think it's Global Fit. Also, if you can pay upfront in cash, they will give you a cash discount. I do this and it works for me.

They also offer discounts when you belong to certain unions - I think SAG, firemen, police, and  maybe teachers, but I'm not sure about whether they still offer this.

If you have more questions about, feel free to PM  me.

There's also the new yoga studio on 31 St., The Giving Tree. It's run by a former Rock yoga instructor and her husband. You could opt for a series of their classes and get some home equipment to supplement.

Offline daisy

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 05:30:16 PM »
I'm a member of the Rock with Global Fit, and it's $57 a month.  I put my membership on hold for $5 a month for the summer, and I now use the very free Astoria Park as my gym.  They have a huge track, lots of trails to run on, tennis and basketball courts, and a pool set to open at the end of the month.

Offline mridude

• Mayor
  • THIS is a one bedroom apartment in Astoria?
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 10:50:55 PM »
 :-) Are you an accountant?
Definition of a "Junior 1 Bedroom": A Studio Apt. cut in half!

Offline liman73

• Activist
  • Let's Go Mets! F-A-N... Da-Na-Na!
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 04:02:35 PM »
I am definitely leaning towards joining "The Matrix." Anyone know the cost? It's cheaper than the Rock, right?

I saw on their web site a free 14 day membership for prospective members.

"Trickling, it is a fair ball....gets by Buckner! Rounding third Knight! The Mets will win the ball game! They Win! They Win!"

Offline ManicMaurice

• Campaigning for Council
    • ManicMaurice.com
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 05:09:21 PM »
A few questions ...

This first one I can probably figure out myself by taking a walk a little later today, but can anyone who lives west of 31st and has a membership at Matrix give me any insight into how attending a gym that is a distance away from your home affects your attendance? Sorry if this question seems silly because the gym is actually closer than I realize. I looked up the gym's location on Google Maps, but I'll have to walk there a little later. I'm still trying to get a grip on my mental map of Queens/Astoria.

A few of my friends have memberships at The Rock Gym at the rate of about $65 a month. They apparently all picked them up last winter while the gym was running a special for the holidays. This price is right in line with my budget and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how I might go about getting a similar deal. It's a shot in the dark, but does anyone happen to have a similarly discounted membership that they might be looking to unload?
My website: ManicMaurice.com

Offline mridude

• Mayor
  • THIS is a one bedroom apartment in Astoria?
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2009, 07:58:48 PM »
I"ve belonged to both Matrix and Rock. I've found that it partly depends on your work schedule and if you utilize the subway.

If I had an early morning schedule...and I do live west of 31 St....walking east to Matrix...workout...shower....walk back and left onto 31 st and the train...especially in the winter....a 5:30 AM opening is great if you actually take advantage of it...

Definition of a "Junior 1 Bedroom": A Studio Apt. cut in half!

Offline Costa

• Tourist
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 09:21:30 AM »
There's planet fitness on steinway if you're willing to go that far, they're only $20 per month, plus you can bring a guest anytime you go no charge, free tanning, and a bunch of other stuff. 

Potential let downs are the free weights only go up to 60 and they don't have barbells and such.  So there's only so much you can do. 

I run a work out program in Astoria Park if you're interested.  We do cardio, endurance training, strength training, and flexibility, and we like to vary it up, so there are new challenges every day.  Doing it with a group and instructor helps keep motivation high, as opposed to the all too common unused gym membership.

Astorians

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 09:21:30 AM »

Offline ManicMaurice

• Campaigning for Council
    • ManicMaurice.com
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009, 10:16:36 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions, but I'm still holding out for a deal at The Rock.

The Matrix Gym and Steinway are a little far -- especially once it gets cold out. Plus, I just realized that The Rock is 24hrs Mon-Fri which is a big plus for my schedule. I'm an audio engineer and stagehand, so my schedule is anything but 9 to 5. And I can completely see myself going to the gym at 2am after a concert, or at 5am before work. The gym that I was a member of in Orlando, FL had a similar schedule and it worked great for me. The big difference however is that the gym I was a member of in FL, only cost $40 a month. Guess I'll have to bite the bullet and cough up the cash. ;-)
My website: ManicMaurice.com

Offline madama

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2009, 12:13:38 PM »
The Rock will usually give you a couple of free day passes or a free week to try the gym out, so I'd suggest taking advantage of that...

And if you work out at 2am on weekdays you should have most of the gym to yourself! :-)

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life