relax

Author Topic: Studio Square new Beer Garden  (Read 24469 times)

Offline kyle

• Activist
Studio Square new Beer Garden
« on: May 11, 2009, 01:23:55 PM »
The new beer garden in Long Island City isn't open yet, but I was wondering if anyone has the inside scoop on when they might be opening.  Looks promising...

http://www.thrillist.com/new-york/2009/05/11/studio-square

Offline db

• Resident
Re: Studio Square new Beer Garden
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 04:21:57 PM »
The Thrilllist piece mentions a Thursday opening, but a friend of mine was speaking to an Astoria bar owner this weekend, who had heard tomorrow as the opening date---either way, it sounds like it will be open by the weekend...maybe they're planning a soft weeknight opening based on the weather?

Offline kyle

• Activist
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 09:00:59 PM »
I went tonight and it is an *amazing* place!  Really really great. 

An almost equal amount of indoor and outdoor space, so when it's cold or rainy, this is still going to be a 'go to' destination.  Not just a seasonal, sunny day, thing.

I liked their beer selection and their angus burgers are perfect.

Forget the Astoria Beer Garden, this is the place to be for Astorians if you don't like lines and massive crowds.

Offline bengalsnyc

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 10:09:36 PM »
Thanks for the post Kyle!  Any detail on what you tried (beer, otherwise) and what the prices were? 

Offline kyle

• Activist
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 10:18:01 PM »
I think a 1/2 liter was 7 or 8 bucks...a liter was $13.  Tons of beer choices...at least 20, I think.  Same prices for whatever kind you like.

I had an angus burger...$8.  2 hot dogs were the same, 8 bucks.  Didn't notice the other things on the food menu, I was set on my burger.  :)  Awesome rolls too...potato rolls I think.

Such a great addition to LIC/Astoria!!!

Offline queenzbwai

• Activist
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 11:46:52 PM »
I'm really excited to check this place out.  It looks and sounds real nice so far.  The Bohemian Hall Beer Garden has lost it's magic to me.  But I'm sure it'll continue to thrive.  I hope this place does well.  Thanks for the review, Kyle.

Offline KidMurdock

• Senator
  • just a dude
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 10:18:29 AM »
I'm so glad that there's a thread about this.  I was just talkign to my better half about how it's opening soon, and we're both excited to have a less crowded outdoor space for drinking, dominoes and hangout sessions. 
Two questions: How is the size compared to the bohemian hall, and do they serve pitchers?  Other than those questions, I am hoping to make it over there this weekend.  So excited.
kid.murdock
::true friends will always be there::

Offline kyle

• Activist
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 11:04:38 AM »
They do serve pitchers...I forget the price.  And 1/2 liters and liters.  Liters were $13 and they serve them in those huge, thick glass mugs like at the Williamsburg beer garden.

I'd say it is about the same size outdoors wise and about 4x bigger indoors as the Astoria garden.  Amazing space, really, you guys have to check this place out!  Words and pictures don't do this place justice!  They have an outdoor fire pit/fireplace-type thing going on too.  It sounds corny but the place has good feng shui, very well laid out and it makes you want to explore and walk around.

This is so huge for Queens!

Offline Mer

• Mayor
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 11:34:34 AM »
Yay!  I'm so psyched that the early reviews are so positive.   :-)  Damn, it looks like it's going to rain this weekend. Otherwise I'd suggest some of us get together and check it out.   

Offline LHT

• Mayor
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 12:31:54 PM »
nice positive review here too from the Q-note

The Other Beer Garden

Good Brews Poured at LIC's New Studio Square
May 14, 2009
QUAFF & CONSUME

Nothing beats a swig of beer in the great outdoors at Studio Square

Those familiar with the sprawling terrace and waterfall-laden garden at Astoria’s Mediterranean lounge and restaurant, Cavo, might not be surprised by owner Steve Tallides’ newest project, 50,000 square foot beer garden and event space, Studio Square.  Opening today in Long Island City, down the street from Kaufman Astoria Studios and a few subway stops from the all-day ruckus over at beloved Bohemian Hall & Beer Garden, Studio Square manages to give the low-key pastime of beer sipping an edge of sophistication.  “We wanted to create something urban but with an old-world feel,” says Tallides, "and a chill atmosphere for people to let loose.”

Along with partners Tommy Demaras, Larry Cerullo and Taso Pavlou, Tallides has transformed a multi-level factory building (the airy digs upstairs are devoted to private soirees) into a modern space heavy on industrial charm. Inside, floors are polished concrete, bars are topped with exotic African Wenge wood and vintage-inspired murals are a nod to nostalgic "Blackwell" and "Pomeroy", the names 36th and 37th Streets were once called. 

Like any true biergarten, the real joy lies in enjoying a few cold ones out in the balmy open air.  Sitting down below in the cobblestone courtyard at one of the communal tables made by hand (thanks to a Bob Vila-like Tallides and team), surrounded by bourbon barrels, River Birch trees and a seductive fire pit that blows away camp memories is magical.

Over 20 different beers hold court at Studio Square, from Belgian Hoegaarden Original White Ale to the goods from Westchester’s only microbrewery, Captain Lawrence Brewing Company.  For summer palates craving something a little more tropical, luckily Studio Square has a soft spot for sangria.  Like the beer, it's available on tap, pumped upstairs from high school chem-like vats in the basement.

Instead of the usual run-of-the-mill bar grub to soak up all the beer, look for Black Angus burgers, Greek sausage and pulled pork sandwiches, with meat from Astoria-based Schaller & Weber. And, once you become a regular, no need to fret about packing on the extra pounds; as incentive, Tallides just so happens to also own Astoria’s popular gym, The Rock Health & Fitness Club.

www.studiosquarenyc.com, 35-33 36th Street, Long Island City, 718-383-1001; N,W to 36th Avenue and G,R,V to Steinway Street

Offline LastStop

• Council Member
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 04:23:51 PM »
I swung by last night to peek in the windows and was delighted to find it open.  My first impression was, "this place gets it right!" from the moment I stepped in.  Not only are the front doors also garage doors that will be raised during the summer, but the space, staff, menu and beer selection have all been painstakingly well-thought out.  They have an equal amount of domestic and European drafts. A half-liter is $7, a liter $13 and a pitcher $18.   Off the top of my head I can recall Abita Light, Blue Moon "Honeymoon Summer Ale," Sam Adams: Cherry Wheat and Pale Ale, Stone Ruination IPA, Dogfish 60-second IPA, Capt. Lawrence Freshchester, Radeberger, Hoegaarden, Pilsner-Urquell, and a few more European ones. I am a craft beer-drinker so I was paying attention to those more than anything.
This beer garden is HUGE! You could drive a 1972 Cadillac through it, although I wouldn't recommend that.  There are Two bars indoors and two or three outside.  What I thought was genius is the long and wide metal awning-covered area that surrounds the picnic tabled garden outside.  You could sit there during a downpour, not get wet, and still be outside.  The firepit is also cool.  I would sell marshmallows and let people roast them there.  I also really, really like the staff here.  They are happy to let you taste new beers, are good at making recommendations, and know their stuff.  When I say they get it right I mean you can go up to the counter to get your beer and food to take back to your table.  When the old beer garden discontinued this policy, and went to table service, they lost a lot of the cachet that endeared it to their customers.  I didn't order any food, just a giant pretzel for $3, but will definitely do so next time I visit.  I like that everything is $8 and that they keep it simple.  The interior looks like an old factory and gives the place a rustic charm.  They told me that there are plans for live music.  I can't wait to return when it is filled with people, rather than the 1:30am visit I paid to see it in its full splendor.  So go, you won't be disappointed!

Offline Mark

• Campaigning for Council
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 04:51:15 PM »
From Gothamist.  Click link for pics.

http://gothamist.com/2009/05/14/studio_square_mother_of_all_beer_ga.php?gallery0Pic=6#gallery

Of course it's not literally the mother, for several obvious reasons—for one thing, there's the well-established predecessor Bohemian Hall, to the north in Astoria. But at least in terms of size, Studio Square in Long Island City is now king of New York, boasting a colossal 18,000 square feet beer garden that officially opens today at 4 p.m. The full beer and food menu is below.

Unlike Radegast Hall in Williamsburg, another relatively recent beer garden which affects an old world attitude with waitresses dressed in dirndls, the ambiance at Studio Square hews contemporary. (Leave your lederhosen home.) Live music is promised, and the site also boasts a massive event space for weddings. The cobblestone courtyard is made from Belgium Blocks and dotted with River Birch trees; around the perimeter, a covered patio accommodates rainy day imbibing, and the indoor bar features vibrant murals by graffiti artist Louie “KR One” Gasparro.

Studio Square's menu includes German Bratwurst, Certified Black Angus Hamburgers, Beef and Chicken Kababs, and Pulled Pork Sandwiches. There are over 15 imported, domestic, and craft beers on draft (see below), plus a range of wines and spirits and housemade Sangria. Coming as this does on the heels of Dutch Kills opening, it looks like all Long Island City needs now is a fancy absinthe bar!

Studio Square // 35-33 36th Street (between 35th & 36th Avenues), Long Island City, Queens // 718-383-1001 // Open Monday-Friday 4:00 p.m. - 4:00 a.m. and Saturday & Sunday 12:00 p.m. - 4:00 a.m.

BEER LIST

Spaten Oktoberfest

Sam Adams Lager

Sam Adams Seasonal: Cherry Wheat

Hoegaarden Original White Ale

Carlsberg

Franziskaner Hefe Weiss

Stella Artois

Pilsner Urquell

Blue Moon: Honeymoon Summer Ale

Captain Lawrence - Freshchester Pale Ale

Stone Levitation Ale

Stone Pale Ale

Abita Light

Hoffbrau Dunkel

Radeberger

Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA

Weihenstephan Hefe-Weiss bier

GRILL MENU

Hamburger (8oz cert Black Angus) - $8

Cheese Burger (8oz cert Black Angus) - $8

Barbecued chicken breast sandwich - $8

Pulled pork sandwich - $8

Portobello mushroom “burger” - $8

2 Schaller & Weber Hotdogs - $8

Bratwurst - $8

Weisswurst - $8

Greek sausage - $8

Kielbasa - $8

Chicken souvlaki (2) - $8

Pork souvlaki (2) - $8

Jumbo pretzel - $3

Side of fries - $3

Side of bacon - $3

Side of sauerkraut - $3

Offline amandax

• Activist
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2009, 04:03:18 PM »
So did anyone go? They supposedly opened yesterday.

Offline Alison

• Senator
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2009, 04:28:44 PM »
I know this is blasphemy in a thread like this, but I don't like beer. At all. Sorry, I've given it tons of chances, just not my thing.

But! I love drinking outside with people who like beer...who is pretty much everyone but me. And I'm super excited to check this place out. Does anyone know if they have specialty cocktails, or is it standard bar stuff? And about what do they charge for a drink (say...rum & coke, my standard). Just curious. I don't mind paying a little more for a drink as opposed to beer, as long as it isn't in one of those teeny cups filled to the brim with ice.
What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?

Offline Mer

• Mayor
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2009, 04:49:03 PM »
Apparently sangria is there other house specialty.   Mmmmmm....sangria!

Astorians

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2009, 04:49:03 PM »

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life