had them twice
4 (13.8%)
am afraid of getting them
6 (20.7%)
my friends have had them
4 (13.8%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Voting closed: December 18, 2008, 01:46:59 PM

Author Topic: Bed Bug Discussion  (Read 93191 times)

Offline enigmacat

• Governor
  • I am not a minion of evil. I am upper management.
Re: Bed Bug Discussion
« Reply #75 on: January 23, 2007, 09:47:48 AM »
I hate to say this, but the bugs are not strictly nocturnal. 

True, but it would be unusual to see them on the street in broad daylight.

I only knew them because I had the bites. Once I put down glue traps I think I saw 2. I never actually saw one crawling around.

Offline angastoria

• Council Member
« Reply #76 on: January 23, 2007, 09:53:05 AM »
yeah but it was reported on the news just a month ago that kids were bringing them to school on their clothes and then passing them to other kids. so its very possible.
when I'm on the train and its crowded I get paranoid.

its a legitamate way to pass them, during the day, on clothing.

since its colder out now it may be harder (they die around 32 degrees), but i'm sure in the summer it happens.
---i should be working, oh well---

Offline angastoria

• Council Member
« Reply #77 on: January 23, 2007, 09:54:11 AM »
oh and about Sterfab...
its only good until it dries. It kills not prevents.
So if you spray it, the max amount of time it will be potent is 24 hours.
Same with DE.
If you don't have them, don't bother.

Offline enigmacat

• Governor
« Reply #78 on: January 23, 2007, 09:59:52 AM »
DE is not a spray or a chemical - it is a mechanical solution that actually cuts through the exoskeleton, causing the bedbug to dry out, and continues to work indefinitely after being applied. It wont' repell, but it will definitely kill, as I stated above.

Where did you hear that it was only good for 24 hours?

Offline enigmacat

• Governor
« Reply #79 on: January 23, 2007, 10:01:27 AM »
I'd like to see a link to the bedbug story. I can see them spreading through a coatroom or bookbags, if someone had a really bad infestation, but I'm trying to imagine how they could have documented the bugs spreading via clothes.

Offline angastoria

• Council Member
« Reply #80 on: January 23, 2007, 10:02:08 AM »
i know that sterifab only lasts until it dries. DE if def a killer, but does it kill the larve or eggs? or do you have to wait till they hatch to cut through the exo?

Offline angastoria

• Council Member
« Reply #81 on: January 23, 2007, 10:08:14 AM »
I'd like to see a link to the bedbug story. I can see them spreading through a coatroom or bookbags, if someone had a really bad infestation, but I'm trying to imagine how they could have documented the bugs spreading via clothes.

http://www.qgazette.com/news/2007/0117/features/010.html

they are coming in through the childrens clothes.

Offline enigmacat

• Governor
« Reply #82 on: January 23, 2007, 10:08:26 AM »
yeah, sterifab is just a contact killer, not a preventative. I have never before heard that DE would lose effectiveness over a period of time.

Don't know how it works on eggs/larvae vs adults, but if you find anything it would cool to know.

Offline enigmacat

• Governor
« Reply #83 on: January 23, 2007, 10:10:30 AM »
hmm, they suggest that bedbugs could be carried in on clothing but it's a "probably" not a certainty.

The superintendent says that they "are not like roaches, they stick to people" but in other places I have read that they do not. Hmmmmm.

Offline angastoria

• Council Member
« Reply #84 on: January 23, 2007, 10:19:56 AM »
i can't find the news article (it was on the 10 or 11 news back in december), but basically they reported on the process of how the schools were notifying parents who's children were bringing them to school. its documented. thats the easiest way they spread to begin with. Clothing, luggage, etc.

uzumaki

« Reply #85 on: January 23, 2007, 10:24:39 AM »
DE has a residual effect for 6 months and longer if kept dry.

I wish they just bough DDT back so I can die of cancer in 20 years instead of freaking out over bed bugs.

bedbugger

« Reply #86 on: March 05, 2007, 02:34:08 AM »
for those of you using DE,

if you use DE (diatomaceous earth) make sure it is food grade DE.  from what i understand this is safe for humans, though you don't really want to inhale DE or any dusts.  it should be put down in very thin layers, too, because if it is not, they will avoid it.  and avoiding DE means they do not die.

bedbugger

« Reply #87 on: March 05, 2007, 02:50:54 AM »
oh yeah--  about the public schools:

the public schools' policy right now is that if they pull a bug off a person, they send it in to be identified, and only then do they consider that the school might have a potential problem.  the teachers must catch, bag and mail in the bugs, or the city does not care.  Any of you who've had bed bugs would know that (a) they're hard to catch in the act, (b) you can be bitten for months and months by many bugs and never see one, even if they bite in broad daylight, and (c) even if a bug is on you, it is not living on you.  In other words, the city seems to think that if teachers pull a bug off a kid, that it came to school with the kid.  Not necessarily true!  It could come out of the floor boards or from under a chair, just like it might do in your home.

I've heard from someone from the teacher's union about this, and the teachers are upset.  It's a ridiculous policy.  According to the news articles, also, there's no set policy on notifying parents in general if a bug is found on one kid (like they would with lice).  They will tell the kid's parents.  Some schools are beginning to notify other parents, but it's not the district-wide or city-wide policy yet.  You can see some of the articles on bed bugs in NYC schools linked from posts here: http://bedbugger.wordpress.com/tag/schools/

GerkMax

« Reply #88 on: March 06, 2007, 04:52:59 PM »
A few months back, my daughter woke up with the "three bites", after figuring out what it was (and after finally coming to terms that I had bed bugs, I fought hard to not accept it.), and scratching half my skin off... I practically tore my place apart looking for them. I found two. One was full of blood! ugh!

I searched the internet, and found this company online that sells some great products to the "regular" consumer in NY. They worked great for me.

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/bed-bugs-c-39.html

I bought a sprayer, a bottle of Suspend, and Gentrol. I also found out that the purple can of Raid (for fleas) also works on them.

I sprayed, then repeated after two weeks. Haven't had a problem since. I still do a light spray about every 6 months, just in case. Because all it takes is ONE neighbor to have a couple of bed bugs.

Offline Hardkore

• Activist
« Reply #89 on: May 30, 2007, 10:55:36 AM »
I apologize in advance for the long winded post:

It's funny how a day changes everything. I come home last night to my lease renewal to find that they rent has gone up a negligible amount and I can stay in my place. I'm very excited and have a normal evening with my boyfriend and look over a notice the housing company left with our rent envelope about calling them immediately if we have bug issues. I think sure, I'll call, because we haven't been sprayed properly in a while and it's time. About time for bed, for some reason I turn over my back support pillow and find 5 bed bugs swarming. I immediately bag it and throw out the window and into the trash area. I'm freaking out and not thinking clearly.

We search around and find several more and throw out all our linens and vaccuum bag some things that had been close to the bed. I have a carpet next to my bed as well and am vaccuuming that tonight. I called my landlord company and they said they will have the exterminator call us to schedule an appointment and are sending me a list of guidelines "that have to be followed by the letter." I'm prepared to do what it takes and I'm reading about the washing at hot temperatures, the sealents, the bug sprays, the plastic mattress covers. I'm just freaking out because I LOVE MY APARTMENT. Do I have to move?? I don't want to and the management company has always been good to me. I'm embarrassed, even though I know I shouldn't be, and I just feel...polluted. I don't want to move though, it's my home. Should I ask my neighbors if they are having problems as well??

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life