had them twice
4 (13.8%)
am afraid of getting them
6 (20.7%)
my friends have had them
4 (13.8%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Voting closed: December 18, 2008, 01:46:59 PM

Author Topic: Bed Bug Discussion  (Read 92345 times)

uzumaki

Re: Bed Bug Discussion
« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2007, 04:43:19 PM »
goes diatomaceous earth work?  i'm having a new roommate move in and i want this entire apartment covered as a precaution.

let me know!

Offline enigmacat

• Governor
  • I am not a minion of evil. I am upper management.
« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2007, 04:55:42 PM »
DE + caulking worked for me for bedbugs. it's discussed in greater detail in the "Bugs in My Apartment" thread here: http://www.astorians.com/index.php?topic=2323.0

uzumaki

« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2007, 05:08:10 PM »
DE + caulking worked for me for bedbugs. it's discussed in greater detail in the "Bugs in My Apartment" thread here: http://www.astorians.com/index.php?topic=2323.0

i can't read all 17 pages!  i have pyrathins [sic] powder, so if I mix with Diatomaceous earth, will that help?  I have a cat who is quarantined in my boyfriend's study while we clear out my room for new furniture and put down powder in our entire apartment.

oh man, help me, I'm having nightmares about bed bugs.

uzumaki

« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2007, 05:08:44 PM »
ps:  where can i buy DE?

Offline enigmacat

• Governor
« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2007, 05:23:01 PM »
You can do a search for "diatomaceous earth" and find all the posts about it on the forum.

I bought mine on amazon.com. Make sure you get the freshwater DE, NOT saltwater. And use a mask while you put it on if you use it as a powder. You can also mix it with water to make a paste.

I didn't mix mine with anything else. What I did was this:

Clean the apartment as much as possible. Sanitize *every* possible hiding place - this included electronics, books, clothes. etc. Books were vaccumed individually, by hand and the bookcase dusted with DE. Any electronics that might house them (all those little nooks and crannies) were either dusted with DE or sealed and put in the closet. Clothes were taken to the laundry and kept in plastic bags. Things that couldn't be laundered were either steamed or sealed in plastic and dated 18 months in the future (a bit paranoid of me but I had a good reason to be paranoid by then). Furniture was sprayed with bedbug spray - I used something else but given other recommendations I'd use Sterifab if I had to do it again - god forbid. We had the landlord send someone in and caulk/seal and then I bought my own calking gun and went over it myself to find any missed spots - and they did miss spots. Then we put DE around the perimeters of each room and under the beds. We put two vinyl covers on the beds and futons, also put covers on the pillows. We put tape (sticky side out) around the bed legs, and vaseline. In addition, I put glue traps (the paper kind) under all the bed legs. So any bug that got to me would have had to brave DE, a glue trap, vaseline, and tape. The beds have to be moved away from the wall and the bed covering should be made up so that NOTHING touches the floor.

All that said, if you can just get a good exterminator, you might save yourself some stress. In the thread mentioned before there are some recomendations from people who used exterminators who really fixed the problem. I would not recommend either of the ones that I used.

DEFINITELY CAULK, no matter what!

We had the exterminator come several times and continued to have problems. I finally discovered that a neighbor had had them. Building management refused to admit that this could have anything to do with our problem but when we treated the whole apartment, as above, it stopped.

Offline besmircher

• Resident
« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2007, 05:49:14 PM »
I just moved into my apartment, caulked the entire place, now am trying to take more preventative measures- just bought diatomaceous earth online.  Question: what is the deal with steri-fab?  can you sprinkle it around as a preventative or is it used just to kill?  Also, is there any kind of natural bedbug repellant out there?  Similar to the way roaches are repelled by cedar?

Offline enigmacat

• Governor
« Reply #66 on: January 22, 2007, 06:03:05 PM »
Are there other problems in your apartment building, or have you had problems in the past? If you are well-caulked and don't pick up furniture off the st. you are probably ok.

DE is natural, but it is not a repellent - just a killer :)

I think I posted a link to the sterifab product info sheet somewhere.... here it is:
http://www.astorians.com/index.php?topic=2323.msg44705#msg44705

uzumaki

« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2007, 06:07:04 PM »
where can someone buy DE around astoria?  my packages get stolen, so I need to but it in person.

Offline enigmacat

• Governor
« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2007, 06:08:38 PM »
no idea. I would call lawn/garden supply stores and ask. or have it delivered to the post office for you to pick up.

uzumaki

« Reply #69 on: January 22, 2007, 06:28:06 PM »
 :cry:  i just called 30 stores, half of them didn't know what DE was.

Offline besmircher

• Resident
« Reply #70 on: January 22, 2007, 08:11:28 PM »
No, I've never had problems with the suckers- and when the exterminator came to spray the apartment (for roaches, etc) he mentioned that they hadn't had any complaints in my building.  That being said, everyone I ask knows someone with them or has them.  And my exterminator literally said- "oh yes, you should be scared!"  he said that he went to some pest control seminar and some guy talked about how he saw a bedbug go from one guy to another guy in line at a hotdog cart .    Which sounds unlikely, but freaks me out nonetheless. 

uzumaki

« Reply #71 on: January 22, 2007, 09:03:51 PM »
enigmacat, did you order your DE from GreenSense off of amazon?

Offline enigmacat

• Governor
« Reply #72 on: January 22, 2007, 11:21:18 PM »
uzumaki: yup, greensense. good luck!

besmircher: I think story about the bedbug going from one person to another sounds kind of far-fetched. For one thing they are nocturnal creatures and don't live on humans. They suck your blood around 4 in the morning, just before dawn, and go hide in the mattress. For another thing, they are quite small. Either the viewer in question had very good eyesight or he got close enough to the guys in question to make them a tad uncomfortable.

I'm not saying they can't spread person to person, but I think it would be more likely if someone had an infected mattress and stored their bookbag on the mattress, and then took the bookbag on the subway and put it next to another bookbag, or took it to a cafe and put it on a sofa, etc etc.

If you are spending a lot of quality time hanging out with people you know have them, take precautions - strip and put your clothes in a plastic bag the second you get home and hop in the shower. But again, they are nocturnal. I think they are more likely to enter your home via used furniture, a mattress delivered in a truck that also hauls away old (potentially infected) mattresses, an overnight guest who brings in infected luggage, visiting an infected hotel and bringing home infected luggage, or having a neighbor with bedbugs.

Offline daisy

• President
« Reply #73 on: January 22, 2007, 11:26:52 PM »
I hate to say this, but the bugs are not strictly nocturnal.  When I discovered I had them, it was during the middle of the day when the bed bug decided to crawl across my book on my desk.  That's how I knew I had them - I saw it, caught it, and then looked it up on the internet.  And then proceeded to freak out.  Found another in the closet.  My life was turned upside-down, and I got the hell out of that apartment.  Everyone's advice on here on how to get rid of them, is pretty much on the mark though.

uzumaki

« Reply #74 on: January 22, 2007, 11:28:03 PM »
I just put all of our mattress in heavy duty bags and duct- taped them shut (over the zipper).  I'm also doing a mixture of Diatomaceous Earth and pyrethins and putting them all over the nooks and crannies of our apartment, then then caulking the hell out of the place.

I am freaking out.

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/knowhow/repair/article/0,16417,1548906,00.html

Here is a checklist for battling Bedbugs from This Old House, apparently one of their editors had them and this is how she alleviated the problem.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life