had them twice
4 (13.8%)
am afraid of getting them
6 (20.7%)
my friends have had them
4 (13.8%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Voting closed: December 18, 2008, 01:46:59 PM

Author Topic: Bed Bug Discussion  (Read 90765 times)

uzumaki

Re: Bed Bug Discussion
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2007, 08:10:06 PM »
so, it's like less than 25 degrees outside.  everyone open your bedroom window and sleep in the living room.  freezing temps kills them.

also, try drione dust (it'll kill instantly and have a risidual affect for 5 week -- hopefully killing nymphs).

bug at e-bug.net

they shipped my order next day and i got it in two days.

Offline Christine

• Governor
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2007, 11:56:44 PM »
I dunno, based on links it's a myth that cold kills them. Though it seems logical.
"Apparently these are the best women Queens has to offer. Now pick one and let's go home."

Offline angastoria

• Council Member
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2007, 10:52:19 AM »
the begin to die after 2 hours at 32 degrees or lower.
next time its 25 open your windows and turn off your heat while you're at work.
lol.

if only we could get this message out....

freeze em to death!
---i should be working, oh well---

Offline PDQ Fruitbat

• Mayor
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2007, 02:51:28 PM »
the cold works but if you have cracks in your floor they may just come back.
STERI FAB works like a charm.  alcohol based spray that is safe for animals and humans. they sell it at the SQUARE HARDWARE On ditmars & 37th st.  he sells a case a WEEK so its just not you with this problem.

until you can get that though, take 1/2 cup rubbing alcohol and mix it with 1/2 cu warm  water....put in a spray bottle...and watch them DIE DIE DIE....

I JUST moved and thank goodness we got rid of them...most of my clothes are still in "quarantine" in garbage bags, but remember the bb's live mostly in FABRIC....so def. throw out your mattress and CURTAINS!  You will probably want to throw your dressers and night stands away, too.  its expensive but worth it.

we caught the bbs right after they came in the apartment  (thru a crack in teh bedroom floor) and basically sealed off the bedroom with duct tape.  it was a long narrow apt and since they move very slowly, and  if the infestation is recent, you still have a chance to catch them before they spread in your entire apt.

Your landlord is fully responsible for any exterminations and related costs.  this is the law.  if your landlord doesnt comply you can file a complaint with DOH and they can be fined if they don't!

Big hint: NEVER move into any apartment with wall-to-wall carpeting. Huge red-flag.

Take ALL your clothes, sheets, etc. and wash them in hot water; but more important is about 60 minutes in a hot dryer.  Then let them cool and fold them at the laundrymat - use those blue recycle bags to store the clothes in, that way you know they are "safe"...then tape the bags shut with duct tape, mark them, and put them in another room of the apt. its a massive pain in the butt, but trust me it gets rid of them.   Whatever can't be washed has to be dry cleaned; but to save costs use those DRYEL bags - theyre pretty efficient. 

Deface any furniture you put on the street, the health dept said to paint BEDBUGS on it with red paint or big large x's. (Would you believe, though, that people STILL took my defaced furniture from the street despite it being clearly marked BEDBUGS?!)

ANYWAY it sucks, I know, but let me know if you need moral support. I have to say it was the nastiest thing that ever happened to me, but we got through it alright. 

Offline besmircher

• Resident
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2007, 03:24:31 PM »
I am about to move into a prewar in Astoria and just stumbled acros this discussion.  I had no idea bedbugs are such a problem in the area!  Needless to say, I'm terrified!  I am going to do all that I can to prevent getting them...but I have a question for you guys.  Does renters insurance cover the cost of all the stuff you have to throw away once you become infested?  It sounds fair to me- but I am just curious if anyone else has come accross this?  I'm in the giant prewar on 30th road off crescent...does anyone know if this building has had problems? AAAAAAAHHHHH!!!

Offline NYCMacUser

• President
  • Bippidi Boppidi Boo!
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2007, 05:48:58 PM »
I'm in the giant prewar on 30th road off crescent...does anyone know if this building has had problems?
2520 or 2510?
Women are like teabags.
We don't know our true strength
until we are in hot water! —Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline besmircher

• Resident
« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2007, 09:10:02 PM »
2510.  uh oh.  please tell me its bed bug free....

Offline NYCMacUser

• President
  • Bippidi Boppidi Boo!
« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2007, 09:20:03 PM »
2510.  uh oh.  please tell me its bed bug free....
You are probably fine, but I just sent you a PM.
Women are like teabags.

Offline reb

• Resident
« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2007, 10:34:58 PM »
There was a special feature on the news at 10 about bedbugs. They were noting that exterminators are having as much business for bedbugs as they are for roaches these days. They did not mention any areas in particular- but, yikes!

Offline NYCMacUser

• President
  • Bippidi Boppidi Boo!
« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2007, 05:19:48 AM »
With all the talk on this board about bedbugs, I dreamt about them. I woke up with a pounding heart and rushing adrenalin and freaked! I got out of bed and checked everything on my bed, including the dogs. WHEW! But I couldn't fall back asleep. So I came to the computer and checked in here and I got doubly freaked; no-one was here except 52 spiders and me! Ewwwwwwwww . . . .

[attachment deleted by admin]
Women are like teabags.

uzumaki

« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2007, 06:36:52 PM »
With all the talk on this board about bedbugs, I dreamt about them. I woke up with a pounding heart and rushing adrenalin and freaked! I got out of bed and checked everything on my bed, including the dogs. WHEW! But I couldn't fall back asleep. So I came to the computer and checked in here and I got doubly freaked; no-one was here except 52 spiders and me! Ewwwwwwwww . . . .

hehehe   :-D

Offline Astoria Luv

• Global Moderator
  • Governor
« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2007, 12:50:08 PM »
Ugh, I just signed a one year lease, effective Feb. 1, at a pre-war building on 48th Street and Broadway and now I'm a little freaked out about this whole bed-bug issue.  I kind of expect the "normal" old, NYC building roach & mice issues, but I totally forgot about bed-bugs.  Is there something particular about buildings in Astoria?  I once saw this piece on 20/20 about reburished mattresses and bed bugs.  All of this is very disconcerting.

By the way, does anyone have good roach and mice control remedies, besides calling an exterminator?  Thanks in advance!

Offline essen

• Running for Governor
« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2007, 05:42:36 PM »
By the way, does anyone have good roach and mice control remedies, besides calling an exterminator?  Thanks in advance!

Our cat efficiently deals with any vermin that sets foot in our apartment. Unfortunately not all cats are into hunting.. but it works for us.  :-P

Offline Christine

• Governor
« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2007, 05:51:26 PM »
Ha, seeing those internet spiders and crawlers gets to me too {{{shudder}}}

Even the Astoria internet has an infestation!!  :-D
"Apparently these are the best women Queens has to offer. Now pick one and let's go home."

Offline NYCMacUser

• President
  • Bippidi Boppidi Boo!
« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2007, 06:05:16 PM »
You're in a large pre-war building, they will have an exterminator coming around on a monthly basis. Let them in and be sure to have them take care of both the kitchen and the bathroom. And for an extra $5.00 tip, ask them to check the bedroom for any vermin!
Women are like teabags.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life