had them twice
4 (13.8%)
am afraid of getting them
6 (20.7%)
my friends have had them
4 (13.8%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Voting closed: December 18, 2008, 01:46:59 PM

Author Topic: Bed Bug Discussion  (Read 84929 times)

Offline sddelacerna

• Tourist
Re: Bed Bug Discussion
« Reply #315 on: July 09, 2011, 11:13:02 AM »
2414 Astoria Blvd.  Astoria, NY 11102

My life has become a nightmare! I moved to NY from California a couple of months ago and my life has been changed forever. The first or second night I moved in with roommates, I noticed little bugs crawling on my computer. My lights were off and window was open, so I figured they were just little bugs that naturally come through the screen in the summer. It never dawned on me initially that these were the SCOURGE that is BED BUGS!! The irony is that when I lived in Cali and would see the horror reports of infestations in New York... I would pray that would NEVER touch my life or my children's...............flash forward and I am now living my worst nightmare come true!!

Approximately a week after I noticed these bugs, I became ill. I thought it was the flu because I had a fever & aches and pains.......general flu symptoms, which I now understand can be attributed to the initial bites from bed bugs. Shortly thereafter, I developed welts/bites with a red center..... in a linear pattern.............. it still didn't dawn on me that these were bed bugs. I showed them to roommates who looked sad but knowing, but never said these could be bed bugs. She said they were probably mosquitoes and her mother first agreed and then said it was probably chicken poxs!!!!!!!!!!!!! Having worked in the medical profession............. I knew this wasn't possible as I had already had chicken pox as a child and that none of the symptoms were indicative of this. I had a light bulb go off and AH HA moment telling me the joke was on me and everyone else was in on it................ they just didn't choose to share it with me.

Now... you must understand I am a clean and neat freak by nature................. this COMPLETELY freaked me out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Of course research made it evident to me that this was a bed bug infestation......... uggggggggggggggggg. I don't think I will ever feel clean again!!!!!!

To backtrack a bit, before I realized what was going on, I continued to sleep in this bed.... and SURPRISE SURPRISE.... the bites multiplied. I at this point was depressed, crying and beside myself. I came from California and I had never even SEEN a bedbug much less lived with one!!!!!!!!!!!!!! At this point I went to an emergency room and took a few of the "bagged bugs" with me. Of course................ my worst fears were confirmed:(!!!!!  I was treated like a leper to begin with............. sitting in the ER waiting room.........people stared at me and moved away from me. When I was called back for my vitals.... one of the nurses yelled at me... "Don't touch anything and don't sit in that chair"!!!..... to which she proceeded to get a sheet and put on the chair before I could sit down..............POINT TAKEN!!!!!!! She paraded me back............. ahead of everyone else........... to the Head of Er.... who looked at my bites.....the bugs in my bag and concluded (along with another ER nurse) that these were bed bug bites.................. CAN YOU SAY HUMILIATION????!!!!!!!! Because they didn't want me to have contact with anyone else.... they took me back to another part of the ER..... another sheet was placed on a chair and I was made to wait for the ER Dr. to bring prescriptions, advice, etc........ of course by this time, I was the "Main Act" ....if you will??????..... people were asking to be moved away from me............. I didn't blame them.............. the Dr. came out with prescriptions including a course of antibiotics..... anti itch medication both oral and topical.... etc......... I continued on to the pharmacy to the tune of money I couldn't afford...... FLASH FORWARD A FEW DAYS............. I let my roommates know.... who still insisted they weren't bed bugs and didn't want to tell the manager of the building due to other issues they were having............... ultimately...........the manager was told and OF COURSE..... he argued with me and HUMILIATED ME all over again INSISTING .................... these weren't bed bugs EVEN THOUGH I told him of the Drs. diagnosis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!............... and thus MY NIGHTMARE INTENSIFIED............ I was being called on the carpet and questioned like I was the bad guy.................. are you kidding me??????????????????? still being questioned as to the legitimacy of my diagnosis and being made to feel like this was all in my head EXCEPT.......................... I had physical proof and tons of pics to the tune of 50 or more...............of my bed, bites etc etc etc................the manager then tried to put the blame on me....asking if I lived in motels............. I explained, I came from my CLEAN apartment in Los Angeles, California and I had never even seen a bed bug. He then tried to say the bugs weren't bed bugs............despite what the Drs. said...............  long story short..........he admitted as well as a roommate that, they had a history of bed bugs in the room I was staying in. The landlord said he sprayed once a couple of years ago.......WHAT??????????????? even I, as a lay person, knows this isn't something that can be eradicated with one treatment!!!!!!!! At that point I decided to take my own action. I stripped the bed to a white sheet and monitored it over the next 3 days.................. hundreds of bugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOW WHO IS CRAZY??????????????? I am now on my second course of antibiotics, have been sleeping in my sons room upright in a chair for the last 2 weeks......and the landlord has said I have to leave giving some LAME excuse...................... No one wants to accept responsibility for this!!!!!!!!!!!!! They want me to leave so they don't have to deal with this but I have clothes, papers, etc etc etc that have been contaminated................I WANT JUSTICE..... I DID NOTHING WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want to know who the owner of this building is????????????? Regardless of what the outcome is for me............... I don't want ANYONE else to have to go through this. I moved from California and am now about to be homeless because they don't want to deal with this issue. When I asked how they can live with themselves not telling other tenants in this building............. I get no answer.............. someone should have to answer for this............ I want and need compensation for this SCOURGE they inflicted upon me............. People knew of this problem but didn't see fit to tell me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BEWARE..................DON'T MOVE IN TO 2414 21ST STREET unless you want BED BUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Soccerbuff66

• Resident
« Reply #316 on: August 01, 2011, 07:33:08 PM »
I've been in my apartment for 3 years, and have gotten bed begs twice- it was a total nightmare! They treated basically the entire wing of my building and everything is fine now (knock on wood!!!).

I'll probably be moving out in November, but I'm sort of scared, can new potential apartment rentals ask if you've had bed bugs? Can they refuse to rent you the apartment if you have?  Do I need something from my management company saying it was treated?

Offline angela1969

• Activist
« Reply #317 on: August 02, 2011, 07:00:49 AM »
new york state has passed a new law stating that landlords must tell new renters if the apartment has had bedbugs and if the apartment has been treated -- you must also see proof of that -- also look up on the rent stabilizatgion site to see this -- good luck

Offline Concerned.Astorian

• Resident
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #318 on: August 15, 2011, 11:02:53 PM »
Thanks for the warning and the benefit of your experience! This is a very important issue and we must bring it to the attention of the landlords and authorities.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/concernedastorian/sets/
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002775848043&sk=wall
https://twitter.com/ConcernAstoria

Offline Karma 1224

• Council Member
  • Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none
« Reply #319 on: September 01, 2011, 09:13:04 AM »

Astoria's Public School 70 has the city's worst bedbug problem, parents furious

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2011/09/01/2011-09-01_its_a_new_bugaboo_at_school_bedbugs_breed_parents_alarmed.html#ixzz1WhqU5j5H

Offline sddelacerna

• Tourist
« Reply #320 on: September 01, 2011, 10:06:26 AM »
Thanks so much for all of the good advice and links. I'm so very sorry for those of you who had had to deal with this. To date... I've been on 3 courses of antibiotics, steroid injections and countless meds. I'm one of those unlucky people who is highly allergic. If I'm even around anyone who may have been around them I light up like a Christmas tree. The Drs. told me this will get worse every time I have any type of exposure. Not only that, this building should be CONDEMNED!! The room I was in had hundreds of bugs so I got mosquito and tick bites as well and am having classic symptoms of Lyme Disease all the way down to the bulls eye bite that infected ticks make. I'm leaving NY because I'm so freaked out. I don't even like to go outside anymore. I want the owner/landlord where I stayed to pay but don't want to sue him necessarily. Any ideas on a demand letter that I can do myself? I want him to pay for all of my medical bills, all of my belongings I had to leave behind including family pictures.... I want them treated and I ABSOLUTELY feel that he should pay!!! I also want him to pay for my computer I had to get rid of (couldn't take a chance), cleaning bills and endless washing of clothes.... etc. Any ideas I would greatly appreciate. You all have been a life saver!!!!

Offline sddelacerna

• Tourist
« Reply #321 on: September 01, 2011, 10:13:40 AM »
Tried to post bed bug bites but it's not allowing me to attach. Only posted one of my tick bites.

Offline angela1969

• Activist
« Reply #322 on: September 01, 2011, 11:45:39 AM »
go to Peter Vallone's office and try to get a very good attorney -- seriously I mean this and then go to the city -- remember there is a law -- so go after them -- good luck

Offline sddelacerna

• Tourist
« Reply #323 on: September 01, 2011, 11:51:27 AM »
thanks so much Angela!!!!

Offline Starwind51

• Governor
« Reply #324 on: September 26, 2011, 10:41:24 PM »

I was looking for information on how bedbugs breathe and came across this article on a low cost, non-toxic bedbug trap.

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/7_on_your_side&id=7212643

Offline adammccauley

• Tourist
« Reply #325 on: October 06, 2011, 11:54:13 AM »
Hey All,

I'm a journalist currently covering the Astoria (Western Queens) region. I was wondering if anyone on this message board would be interested in talking to me about their experience with bed bugs. Perhaps someone who was not told before moving into their apartment that bed bugs had been an issue, or someone now dealing with bed bugs and renting infested apartments. etc... In addition, if anyone has children/knows parents if children in PS70 (the public school deemed to have the worst bed bug problem in the city) I would love to speak with them.

Anyone interested in sharing can contact me at anm2145@columbia.edu.

Cheers,
Adam

Offline terryfyied

• Tourist
« Reply #326 on: October 11, 2011, 09:48:34 AM »
Hi everybody,

I am also a reporter covering the Astoria/LIC region. I would love to speak with anyone about the bedbug infestation. If there are any community meetups about the issue, I would be happy to participate and hear your thoughts/complaints/issues with the problem. Is this something that has just been going on recently? How do you avoid them? If you have been affected, do you worry about it happening again?

Please reach me at tchao@journalism.cuny.edu and let me know, all responses are greatly appreciated :)

Terry

Offline masonicboom

• Citizen
« Reply #327 on: October 12, 2011, 11:45:16 AM »
hi, all.

I had an infestation in my Astoria apartment almost 5 years ago.  It was torturous but we eliminated them and have not seen any evidence of them whatsoever for those 5 years. 

Cut to last night when my girlfriend found a single alive, red, adolescent bed bug crawling on our bathroom wall.  The bathroom is on the far side of the apartment, completely opposite the bedrooms.  Nonetheless, we did a thorough check of our beds, floorboards, walls, etc and found no additional evidence of them.

I immediately left a message for the landlord but have yet to receive a return call.  I'm wondering what my next step is.  I suppose we'll need a professional come and investigate the place, but I'd also like to know how many of our neighbors currently have bed bugs.

Offline angela1969

• Activist
« Reply #328 on: October 15, 2011, 09:01:25 AM »
the law says that you have to call the city when you have bed bugs and then tell your landlord that you did so -- put everything in writing and when calling the city make sure that you give your name so that you get somthing back in the mail -- good

Offline alipasa

• Resident
« Reply #329 on: December 08, 2011, 01:27:09 AM »
I hate these bed bugs, even though I never been bite!  Maybe they might feel good!  lol

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life