had them twice
4 (13.8%)
am afraid of getting them
6 (20.7%)
my friends have had them
4 (13.8%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Voting closed: December 18, 2008, 01:46:59 PM

Author Topic: Bed Bug Discussion  (Read 84934 times)

Offline enigmacat

• Governor
  • I am not a minion of evil. I am upper management.
Re: Bed Bug Paranoia
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2006, 04:33:33 PM »
I used the DE in powder form. After a couple of months of having the exterminator come again and again and again, we finally did one big push and that seemed to make the big difference.

This is what we did:

-caulk the entire apartment
-wash everything hot water and dry with highest heat.
-anything that can't be washed was steamed or put into plastic bags to be stored for 18 months.
-vinyl covers on the mattresses and futon
-vacuum everything
-threw out everything suspicious that couldn't be adequately cleaned or stored long term. mark up anything thrown out "BEDBUGS DO NOT TAKE" to avoid spreading to other apts.
-used a spray for mattresses and furniture
- put DE around the edges of the room.
- put glue traps under each bed leg.

I've only had one bite since.

Offline hillary10

• Activist
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2006, 04:35:34 PM »
oh my. i just went to a meeting about bedbugs and it scared the hell out of me. I think these people in the article are going a little overboard, or a lot overboard. but how scary. does make me wish we could bring back ddt for indoor use, even though i am an environmentalist. but the bedbug thing is TERRIFYING. I was supposed to write an article about them for a science magazine and I decided not to, simpy because I don't want to go crazy.

Offline LoveSTL

• Resident
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2006, 02:16:59 PM »
Bedbugs....the final reason to move out! My husband and I just moved to Astoria in Sept. We love the area...so close to the city and reasonable rent. However, our apartment has been a disaster. Last week we discovered bedbugs!!! We still have not seen the little things but we have bit marks. After talking with our neighbor we were informed that the previous tenant moved out because of them and the whole 6 story building has them. I believe our only option is to move. We found a new place this weekend. Small / New 6 apartment building. Now I'm paranoid we will bring them with us. Any advice???

Offline enigmacat

• Governor
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2006, 02:44:35 PM »
http://www.astorians.com/index.php?topic=2323.0

Check out the "Bugs in my apartment" thread - other astorians have had the same problem.

I would suggest:

1) talking to the landlord and any neighbors before signing the lease to make sure there are no bedbugs in the new apartment.
2) wash and/or treat everything you can before your move and pack in clean plastic bags or plastic boxes (lots of advice on this in the other thread)
3) anything that can't be satisfactorily washed or treated prior to moving, put into storage for at least 12 months (sealed up good to avoid infecting other storage units)
4) have an exterminator treat the new apartment before you move in, along with your boxes if possible.

Offline enigmacat

• Governor
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2006, 02:53:03 PM »
two more things you can do: log your current building here http://bedbugblog.blogspot.com/ (click "known infestations").

and call 311 to report your landlord.

Offline daisy

• President
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2006, 03:24:19 PM »
I have to wonder if that was my blg and apartment you are moving out of....

I'll write more this evening, and I'll see if I haven't already posted something specific about moving.

Offline LoveSTL

• Resident
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2006, 01:17:44 PM »
Thanks for all the info...BTW we live on 36th St / 28th Ave. One question where can one buy diatomaceous earth?

Offline enigmacat

• Governor
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2006, 01:41:32 PM »
you can pm me - I have several pounds left over.

Or if you prefer you can order it online. I got mine from amazon - I think there are also ecological pest control places that sell it. Just make sure you get food grade, freshwater DE.

Offline daisy

• President
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2006, 01:54:05 PM »
http://www.astorians.com/index.php?topic=1485.msg8582#msg8582

This post topic has helpful info as well as the "bugs in my aparment" thread.

I was at 38th and Ditmars, so it's not the same blg.  I have 2 posts in the above topic that are more indepth about what you should do.  Feel free to pm me with any questions.

Offline enigmacat

• Governor
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2006, 01:57:19 PM »
I wonder if one of the mods would be willing to merge the threads?

Offline angastoria

• Council Member
Re: Bed Bug Discussion
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2006, 04:17:02 PM »
are you on the northwest corner of 36th and 28th ave? (the pre war?) just wondering, saw a place there a few months back and almost took ti.

thx
---i should be working, oh well---

Offline cheezybread

• Resident
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2006, 02:40:12 PM »
daisy, which building on ditmars and 38?  I get my laundry done at the laundromat next to Trade Fair, am I in danger of carrying bedbugs with my laundry?

Offline LoveSTL

• Resident
« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2006, 11:55:28 AM »
angastoria....you are lucky to select a different apartment. Yes, we live in the prewar building on the northwest corner of 36th St and 28th Ave. This place sucks....

bedbugger

« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2006, 03:23:36 AM »
You should report addresses with any current or past bed bug infestations on this site (there's a spot to note the year):

http://bedbugregistry.com

re: The Voice article:  I actually know two of the people from the article and they were kind of misrepresented.  The woman Diane who comes across as paranoid has good reason:  she threw away a ton of stuff, put everything else in a pod storage, took nothing except maybe her purse, went to stay with a relative and then the relative's home became infested.  It would make anyone a little paranoid, in my opinion.  The Voice writer chose not to include that fact, which she was told, but perhaps readers might have thought the woman had reason to be worried.  If one bed bug infestation is a nightmare, imagine moving and getting them again.  It happens.

(and read our Bedbugger blog:  http://bedbugger.wordpress.com)

nobugs!

Offline urrisgirl

• Senator
Re: help my friend has bed bugs!!
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2007, 02:45:51 PM »

Sorry to be the bitch here but someone had to do it.  They're the cause.  And that's gross, you should really stop hanging out with them.

This was totally unnecessary and just plain rude. Grow up!

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life