had them twice
4 (13.8%)
am afraid of getting them
6 (20.7%)
my friends have had them
4 (13.8%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Voting closed: December 18, 2008, 01:46:59 PM

Author Topic: Bed Bug Discussion  (Read 84861 times)

Robyng

Bed Bug Discussion
« on: January 23, 2006, 12:09:42 AM »
 Does anyone know of a good exterminator???
A very good friend of mine has bed bugs, and they cannot tell the landlord because their place is very messy.They are not the cause though, she told me a few months back that another tenant had them first.
What should I tell her and her husband???
Any suggestions as to which exterminator is honest?
Standard on Steinway has been there for years, But I could not recomend.
They have no pets and no kids.
And I did not mean to be a terrible friend , but I refused to go over to help them clean because I was afraid to bring the bugs back to my own home, my husband would kill me!!!
PLEASE OFFER ME SOME TYPE OF ADVICE.
Thank you.

Offline cabanird

• Senator
    • Handmade Items
Re: help my friend has bed bugs!!
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006, 07:01:26 AM »
what's wrong with standard?

i live in a basement apt and i use their products... keeps the buggies dead.

:( hope something works out!
"the sun will rise in Queens and I will Shine..." The Exit

KilDaraSidhe

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006, 12:26:22 PM »
From what I understand they are very hard to get rid of. An exterminator is probably best.

Offline Jtrane

• Governor
    • http://www.joshirvingjazz.com
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2006, 12:30:19 PM »
I think you need to throw out the mattress and all sheets that were on it.  I had an exterminator come to my place when I had a roach problem.  He told me to be careful about bed bugs because they were starting to cause massive problems in the entire city.  He basically said that if you have bed bugs, you need to trash all your beds and sheets asap.
Trying is the first step to failure - Homer Simpson
www.joshirvingjazz.com
www.myspace.com/joshirving

Offline Christine

• Governor
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2006, 12:41:23 PM »
Yeah, it's an epidemic right now. Fancy hotels even.

Trash the mattress, sheets, pajamas, maybe even the blankets (ouch), rent a steam cleaner from Key Food and go nuts.

"Apparently these are the best women Queens has to offer. Now pick one and let's go home."

Offline evil_toaster

• Citizen
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2006, 02:13:12 PM »
Gothamist has a small article about this today:

http://www.gothamist.com/

Its the third or fourth article down. 

Offline firelight79

• Running for Governor
    • Fan Firelight Jewelry & Designs on Facebook!
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2006, 06:05:37 PM »
speaking from experience:
1)the landlord is responsible, it is a class D(i believe) health violation. if other tennants had them it is most definitely the landlord's problem-he should exterminate the whole building if it has now reached 2 apartments.
2)mess does not attract them, mess attracts roaches ants, the bugs that feed on filth. bed bugs are purely blood suckers. mess makes it easier for them to hide, but that is not the cause. they aren't interested in the twinkie wrapper under the bed, they only want blood.
3)there are many many things that need to be done prior to the exterminator doing anything.-also there is no "over the counter" remedy a professional is a MUST. you will just mask the problem. They can hibernate for a year or two without a blood meal.
    a)it is recommended, but not required that you throw out your mattress and box spring. they can be sprayed with a contact kill spray.
             if it is thrown out, it MUST be wrapped in plastic, completely otherwise the suckers will jump off along the way. you can get plastic mattress covers from bed bath and beyond. if you keep the mattress it has to be covered in this before you use it again. essentially trapping what is in there and "suffocating" them with chemicals.
    b)sheets, towels, pillows, bedspreads, EVERY article of clothing or upholstery, basically any fabric MUST be washed in the hottest temperature possible. do it twice in a row for better effect. if you can't wash it, dry clean it. or throw it out.
    c)every thing you own, especially where the problem is concentrated has to be cleaned and boxed up.
    d) all wood products must be accessible to an exterminator, they love fabric and wood.
    e)everything must be pulled away from the wall so that the exterminator can spray the perimeter
    f)all the floors, rugs and moldings need to be vacuumed.
    g) everything on the walls has to come down and be cleaned. if it is wood it has to be sprayed.
It is a pain in the ass, and you still aren't done.
Once the exterminator has sprayed everything you have to cover the matress with the plastic mattress cover. Then fill in any hole, gaps and cracks in the walls or along the baseboards.
You should have a follow up visit a week or two later. Also to be paid by the landlord.
Don't unpack anything. If anything, rewash everything again.
breathe and try to return to normal.

If you are wondering if you have them here's what to look for:
any unexplained rashes or welts. I had welts from an allergic reaction to the bites...even a doctor discounted bed bugs. no allergy then it could just be small red bumps.
their poop(your blood) has a "sickly sweet" odor. it smells kind of musty and stuffy.
you see red marks(blood)on your sheets.
check the corners of your mattress, where it folds, that's where they hang out. also in your box spring. But i never really found them in my bed(hence i was able to salvage it) there were some in the box spring, but there was a nest(?) behind a tapestry on my wall. and anytime i saw them they were on the wall running up to the molding and the cracks. so after i had the exterminator i filled in as many cracks as i could reach.
I can't remember the name of the comapny my landlord got(which he only got after i called 311, then he tries to tell me he isn't responsible and that he's doing me a favor...he wouldn't have paid for it then, he was being a douche)it starts with an A and is in Brooklyn, in Bay ridge i believe.
Don't feel bad not going to their house, you shouldn't set foot in there until after they get some heavy duty chemical action. They can hop on and off anywhere. They are so small, when fed they are like an appleseed..and when hungry they are clear!!!
If you need more info, i have a wealth of it, and the scars on my arms, legs and back to prove it.
But we are all clear now.
Knock lots of wood!
~*Jenn

Offline cabanird

• Senator
    • Handmade Items
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2006, 07:47:57 PM »
aaaaaaaaaack!

creepy!

but thanks for all the info Jenn!
"the sun will rise in Queens and I will Shine..." The Exit

Offline firelight79

• Running for Governor
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2006, 08:27:15 PM »
the whole fiasco isn't my proudest moment, and i usually keep it under my hat...my friends and i refer to it as "the incident." however, i will impart the knowledge where necessary. and it sounds bad, but at least i'm not the only one. it's still like having cooties but lots of people are getting them.
even the hotel pennsylvania is infested (article somewhere on cnn).
and i keep seeing articles in the paper(am NY today)and online...so its getting epidmeic.
i've learned and am always on the look out. it sucks.
but like i said...wher someone is in need of info, i shall impart.
i think now most people reading this thread are going to check their mattresses...actually it would be a good idea.

Jenn

Offline TRX

• Governor
  • It only makes me laugh
    • http://www.lp.org
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2006, 08:50:42 PM »
It sounds like the NYC epidemic is not just hyperbole.
Thanks for the recommendations of experience.

It sounds like it could be very helpful for a number of people, if not already perhaps soon.
Saying it too, aaacccckkkkk.
Life, Liberty, Happiness (pursuit of) and pasta

annie

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2006, 10:46:59 AM »
This place on 23rd Ave is talked about a lot:
http://brooklyn.citysearch.com/review/36213353

How big is the bedbug problem in Astoria??

The reason this epidemic has spread so voraciously through NYC is because the DOHMH/311 is unwilling to tell you how widespread the problem really is. There's really nothing to be embarassed about on a personal level (see Jenn's posting about how it has nothing to do with superficial cleanliness). And on a public health level, no information is made available. I tried calling 311/DOHMH and they can't disclose whether my own slumlord currently has bedbug complaints lodged against him and if so, how many... its "confidential". Confidential even if you report your own apartment! Don't I have the right to know if my own building, the shared spaces in which I dwell, is harboring a health violation? So everyone suffers in isolation, wondering if they got it from the person just beyond their wall or floorboard... this city is a nightmare.

If you have a bedbug problem, I urge you to follow Jenn's example and be both candid and zealous about fighting them.

best of luck!

« Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 11:05:06 AM by annie »

KilDaraSidhe

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2006, 11:09:19 AM »
I have lived in 3 apartments in Astoria since I moved here 7 years ago and thankfully, *knock on wood* have seen no bed bugs, though my second apartment had a terrible roach problem and many of my things, including all my kitchen appliences had to be thrown out when we moved. This is why it is not wise however to pick out furniture from the curb even if it looks like it can still be used. You never know. This site is also a good site when it comes to bed bug info.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/bedbugs/

Offline firelight79

• Running for Governor
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2006, 12:21:59 PM »
http://www.nyc.gov/html/hpd/html/pr/violation.shtml

if you go to this website and scroll all the way down to "enter HPD online" you will be redirected to a site where you can input your address and see all open violations against your landlord. They stay there unless he has proven he/she has rectified the situation. Because when i called 311, they never told me they were coming i couldn't have an inspector check my room, the complaint was removed. Obviously if i am being eaten alive i wasn't going to live there. So rats, i couldn't get the bastard on record.

It's a really nifty tool.

Jenn

annie

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2006, 01:07:09 PM »
So HPD only pertains to housing violations not inclusive of health violations...? I'm not sure. Because I looked up my building (31-57 34 Street) and there are only some old listings from like 10 years ago and doesn't even include the recent complaint that I filed (and resolved) last year about building structural violations. Its a great tool, I agree, but it would be even better if they maintained it.

What I'm more irritated at is the general lack of public health information. Bloomberg's spending more money than any mayor of recent memory on public health measures and STILL something as ancient and preventable as bedbugs are plaguing this city as if it were the 17th century.

I mean, who is 311 trying to protect? The slumlords?? Because not only should they tell about your own building, but I think there should be an online database for health-residential violations (kinda like how DOH keeps the searchable db of NYC restaurants and their inspection records). Because the data isn't even out there. I can look up how many cases of TB there were in NYC last year, but not how many (and where) bedbug cases there were! Does anyone ever wonder how/why there was this sudden SPIKE in bedbug cases about 18-24 months ago?

If the data were out there, I'd do a google mashup: that's most helpful to show how an epidemic (of any nature) spreads through city through casual contact. How else is a city expected to solve this problem?

I guess this is an academic arguement.
Which makes sense since I'm trained as a molecular microbiologist.
More data, dammit!
I'm going to write a letter.
And send it to some bureaucratic office who won't read it.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 01:11:23 PM by annie »

Offline Jtrane

• Governor
    • http://www.joshirvingjazz.com
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2006, 01:42:08 PM »
This is somewhat related to another post I started about no rent protection for tenants.  The republican run state government has made so many concessions to landlords, and stripped so many rights from tenants, it's really quite disturbing.  This is just another example of protection of landlords at the expense of tenants who via rent, pay the landlords mortgages.
Trying is the first step to failure - Homer Simpson
www.joshirvingjazz.com
www.myspace.com/joshirving

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life