relax

Author Topic: Green Curry Thai Restaurant  (Read 12270 times)

Offline pizzalover

• Tourist
Re: Green Curry Thai Restaurant
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2009, 12:13:59 AM »
yeah they are opening a new thai place on 21st ave in the pistilli building, i hope its good. i live nearby and the new italian place is good too so it will be nice to change it up.

Offline daisypetals

• Tourist
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2009, 08:51:08 PM »
I walked by today and it seemed like they were about to open for business... any reviews already? Oh and if anyone has any success ordering dishes from here sans fish sauce, let a girl know.

Offline round2

• Running for Mayor
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2009, 03:43:10 PM »
They are open now - I got a to-go menu from them.  Interested to hear reports...

Offline Alexa

• Senator
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2009, 11:10:19 AM »
Has anyone eaten here? I agree there are lots of Thai places, but i'm always up for finding a better thai dish! I walked by yesterday and didn't see anyone sitting in there and it was close to dinner time.
When I'm about to do something, I ask myself "would an idiot do that" and if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing.

Offline TJT

• Senator
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2009, 11:14:51 AM »
We tried it over the weekend.  I think it's really quite exceptional.  My new favorite Thai restaurant, except maybe for Leng.  We ate in.  The place is very nicely done.  Simple but clean, modern and very tastefully designed.  Great bathroom too!  Service was very attentive and friendly.  One waitress might be a little rough getting around English, but it wasn't a huge problem.  I don't have a menu right now but we tried the fish cake appetizers.  Very tasty and light.  Pretty heavy on the egg and not so much on the fish.  I would get them again but nothing to rave about.  The fried taro, however, is a must have!  Very delicious and nicely done.  I had the first soup listed on the menu.  The broth was clear with just the right amount of salt and seafood flavor.  The shrimp and squid were fresh and perfectly cooked.  The veggies were obviously chopped fresh just before being added the soup. I liked this soup better than any I've had from Bangkok Tasty or Thai Elephant (we're regular customers of both).  I ordered the dish I believe was called Panang.  I had it with pork.  The sauce was made with cinnamon, coconut milk, peppers, lime and other ingredients.  It was as rich as an alfredo sauce but certainly not fatty.  The flavors were incredible. You tasted very ingredient with each bite.  And I think the pork was the way to go with this sauce.  The pork was lean and tender.  My entree was $9.95.  I think the prices are very reasonable for the dishes they serve here.  I hope they stay this good.  I'm glad we tried it and will be going back regularly and calling for delivery.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 11:27:13 AM by TJT »

Offline goldfish boy

• Governor
  • These cookie-shaped objects taste like cookies!
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2009, 11:49:03 AM »
I tried it last night.  The presentation was beautiful and the food was delicious.  However, the service was abysmal.  It's a small place yet they had five people working, and still they were agonizingly slow.  It was busy but not THAT busy.  When I was finished, I had to ask three different people for the check and even then, nothing.  I ended up having to go up to the register and ask how much I should pay, and even THEN the cashier basically stood there, seemingly paralyzed, until someone else came over to the register and they had a long discussion about how much the pad prik khing cost.  They wasted a lot of my time.  I won't go back.
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” - Dr. Seuss

Offline round2

• Running for Mayor
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2009, 12:01:08 PM »
It is a very new restaurant.  All new places usually have major kinks to work out.  Glad to hear they've got the food part worked out.  I wouldn't cross them of your list forever if their food is good, just because their service wasn't so soon after opening.

Offline dhex

• Citizen
    • here there be rodents
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2009, 12:47:20 PM »
how does bangkok tasty compare to sripraphai? being five minutes away (by car) from my favorite restaurant in nyc is one of the more exciting things about moving to astoria from brooklyn, but bt would be just about right around the corner. my wife doesn't do spicy-to-painful but it's definitely one of my hobbies.

Offline TJT

• Senator
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2009, 12:54:57 PM »
It is a very new restaurant.  All new places usually have major kinks to work out.  Glad to hear they've got the food part worked out.  I wouldn't cross them of your list forever if their food is good, just because their service wasn't so soon after opening.

I agree.  But I can definitely see that happening at Green Curry.  We saw the signs for a service disaster while we were there.  But I bet they'll fix it.  They really seem to care and be trying hard.  So hopefully they'll get the right kind of staff in there fast.  I remember the service being so bad the first time we tried Mohave that we swore it off.  But then we calmed down and went back and we were very glad we did.  Because the food is pretty good.  So you're right about being a little patient when the food's good but the service is off.  (For a new place, that is)  The flip side is the horrible food we had at De Francos.  In that case, you couldn't pay us to go back - even with the best service in the world.

Offline kathyjean

• Council Member
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2009, 02:09:46 PM »
We had take-out/ordered in from Green Curry Thai. Excellent delivery time, nothing leaked and all dishes were tasty, very flavorful. Thumbs up !

Offline NJinNY

• Citizen
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2009, 03:58:26 PM »
I went one night last week and forgot to post my review...I thought it was great! We had the chicken curry puffs, fried wontons ( I didn't try them but my bf said they were good) and Massaman curry and another curry (sry I forgot the name). The massaman was delicious, slightly spicy but not too much. My bf's curry was super spicy and he loved it. Service was good, our main course took a little while to arrive but they apologized. The decor is nice, it's right by my house, so I give it a big thumbs up!  :mrgreen: and will be going back, soon.

Offline HI575857

• Activist
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2009, 05:05:23 PM »
I'm sorry, I'm about to rant. This is a pet peeve of mine.

Please, please, please don't ever bitch about ordering something spicy and it being "too hot" for you. If you can't handle the heat, don't order it spicy. Problem solved. So many people order a "spicy" dish and eat it and are so proud of themselves and then consider themselves someone who eats "spicy" dishes and then they order another "spicy" dish somewhere else and it's too hot for them and then they blame the restaurant because they KNOW that they're someone who likes spicy food and they don't like this dish so therefore the DISH must be wrong, it couldn't be THEM. No, no, never them.  Please, take this back to the kitchen and make it right this time. I still want it spicy, just done "right" so I can handle it. Yeah, yeah, that's it.

I love spicy food. I always ask for dishes spicy/extra spicy at thai and indian places and I have never in all my years of doing this been given a plate that was too spicy for me. As a matter of fact, 90% of the time I ask for it extra spicy and it's NOT EVEN WHAT I WOULD CALL SPICY. In Manhattan, this happens 99% of the time. I call it the tourist effect. The few times I have gotten a really spicy meal anywhere is when I've been at a nicer restaurant and asked for it extra spicy and the manager asks me if I'm sure, and I say absolutely, the spicier the better and smile at him. Then I get a delicious meal that's actually spicy (and always leave a good tip as thanks).

I received this bizarre mutation from my mother who is the same way. My father, on the other hand, thinks that pepperoni pizza bites and some spaghetti sauces from a jar are "spicy." He is known as a spice wuss.

Thai elephant has been consistent at making my food spicy when I ask for it extra spicy. It could be spicier, but they do a LOT better job than anywhere else I've ordered from. That's why I order from there when I have a thai hankering.

Mind you, I only ordered from Wave Thai once and asked for it extra spicy and the dish was mild spiciness at best, and that's being kind. Hence, I don't order from Wave Thai anymore. If someone (who really enjoys spicy food) tells me that it was just one bad time and I should give them another chance, I will.

Offline essen

• Governor
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2009, 06:02:32 PM »
Thai elephant has been consistent at making my food spicy when I ask for it extra spicy. It could be spicier, but they do a LOT better job than anywhere else I've ordered from. That's why I order from there when I have a thai hankering.

While I enjoyed Thai Elephant when I lived on Ditmars, you gotta try Poodam's. It might not be convenient to where you live (45th & Broadway) but if you love spicy Thai food, they have it. My boyfriend is also a spicy food freak, and eating the food from Poodam's made him very happy. We found that Thai Elephant's spice level wasn't very spicy even when we asked for it. Though the Pad Kee Mao would make me sniffle.

The particularly spicy dishes from Poodam's that I've tried are Hoy-Ob-Mor-Din (mussels appetizer), jungle curry, and the larb with whatever meat. We didn't specify a spice-level and these things came Thai spicy. The larb was really spicy but also really delicious, and eating it made me feel like I was being punished for eating delicious food.

Does Green Curry have an online menu? I looked them up on Google, and oddly their entry had Vesta's website in it.

Offline dhex

• Citizen
    • here there be rodents
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2009, 07:08:23 PM »
Drakr2000, have you tried the phaal challenge at brick lane? it's interesting. any dish that requires a gasmask to make is pretty neat, in my book.

Offline dawnlovesthierry

• Citizen
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2009, 05:26:09 PM »
Drakr2000 -- you should definitely try Bangkok Tasty.  Their dishes are very spicy.  Wave Thai is actually more my speed. :wink:

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life