relax

Author Topic: Important - Call Senator George Onorato & Ask him to support marriage equality  (Read 25858 times)

Offline C-J

• Senator
Kempsternyc - well said.  That's also great information about the bricklayer's union.  When I relayed this to my better half he suggested trying to find out who the major donors are to Senator Onorato's campaign and find out if they support the marriage bill.  I checked NewsMeat.com but came up empty handed.  Anyone have any ideas how to get this info?

Also, in addition to my letter I sent yesterday I also called his office today.  I mentioned to the very polite woman who answered that I had also sent a letter and she said that they were actively keeping track of the phone calls coming in as well so I encourage all of you to also call even if you sent a letter.

Bring on the negative nods - I'm ready to fight this until we all have marriage equality!

Offline AJTNYC

• Global Moderator
  • Running for President
  • Plays well with others...
Kempsternyc - well said.  That's also great information about the bricklayer's union.  When I relayed this to my better half he suggested trying to find out who the major donors are to Senator Onorato's campaign and find out if they support the marriage bill.  I checked NewsMeat.com but came up empty handed.  Anyone have any ideas how to get this info?

I found this CJ http://www.followthemoney.org/database/StateGlance/candidate.phtml?c=96096

:mrgreen:

Offline C-J

• Senator
Thanks AJ!

Offline Mer

• Mayor
Made the call!  And for some reason I was a little nervous about it.  This is my first call to an elected official.  Hee...I lost my 'reaching-out-to-my-elected-official virginity.    :mrgreen:

Offline paratactical

• Governor
Made the call!  And for some reason I was a little nervous about it.  This is my first call to an elected official.  Hee...I lost my 'reaching-out-to-my-elected-official virginity.    :mrgreen:

Congratulations!

Offline AJTNYC

• Global Moderator
  • Running for President

But did you smoke a ciggy afterwards?  :-P

Offline ManicMaurice

• Campaigning for Council
    • ManicMaurice.com
... she said that they were actively keeping track of the phone calls coming in as well so I encourage all of you to also call even if you sent a letter.

Made the call. :mrgreen:
My website: ManicMaurice.com

Offline NYCMacUser

• President
  • Bippidi Boppidi Boo!
. . . I also called his office today.  I mentioned to the very polite woman who answered that I had also sent a letter and she said that they were actively keeping track of the phone calls coming in as well so I encourage all of you to also call even if you sent a letter.
Janet Cash is the Senator's Albany office manager. She really is a mountain mover, but her politics are the same as the Senators. He has never, will never cave to popular opinion. He has his head stuck so far up his tuchas that his eyes are turning brown!

Onorato NEEDS to be voted out.
Women are like teabags.
We don't know our true strength
until we are in hot water! â€”Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
Janet and Candyce up in Albany are amazing and great people.  I had a good talk with Janet - I hope we can find a way to move the Senator.  I think his "Astoria is conservative" argument is not a valid one - the Senator only got 48.1% of the vote in a three way race, with George Delis getting 29.2% and Ed Sedarbaum (an openly gay candidate) getting 22.7%.  In the last decade, I would argue that Astoria has dramatically changed, with Onorato's base shrinking as older voters move or pass on and a large number of young couples, LGBT people and other ethnic groups move to the neighborhood.  If he couldn't get a bare majority a decade ago, he probably can't get one today.  (Keep in mind, they also redrew the district lines in 2002 to make the district more conservative - eliminating Bayside and adding Maspeth, though I still think all of the parts of Western Queens have been in transition for the last decade, and in a more progressive direction).

Offline costa01

• Council Member
I am wondering if some sort of larger showing might be in order.  Besides calls to his office, which should continue until the phones ring off the hook, we might want to organize a rally or event in support of marriage equality right here in Astoria. The event wouldn't have to necessarily smack the senator, but the underlying theme will be there are hundreds of activated voters in this community that care about this issue.  It's time to stand with the community or go the way of the dinosaur.

There is also a online petition that JFP worked on that everyone in the senator's district should sign:  http://www.petitiononline.com/love2/petition.html

We need to keep the pressure on! There are a lot of great people working on this issue, continued diligence will be key to changing our representative's mind. 

Offline enigmacat

• Governor
  • I am not a minion of evil. I am upper management.
I signed the petition, and if someone organizes a rally I will go. I agree that "smacking" isn't necessary, but we need to make it clear that we're here in Astoria and we care about this issue.

Offline AJTNYC

• Global Moderator
  • Running for President
I signed the petition and started to email the link to friends in Astoria.

Offline paratactical

• Governor
I also signed the petition and I would be more than willing to help stage an event in Astoria.

Offline jackinthebox

• Activist
Gov Paterson is going to introduce a program bill....but Sen Duane believes that it is too soon and doesn't really sound happy about the governor's action. For those that don't know...and I don't mean it badly, Sen Duane is an out gay member of our Senate. (not sure if "out gay member" makes sense)

My understanding is this. Sen Duane feels he has the votes (including supportive GOPers) but isn't quite ready to bring it to the floor of the Senate. When he is, he will do so, and it will be by the end of June. We already know it will pass the Assembly, the drama is in the Senate.

I am going up to Albany, April 28th, to lobby our Senator to vote for gay marriage. My understanding is that he is listening because the union he belonged to, the bricklayers union, has come out in support of marriage equality. Who knows were it will end....but I am hopeful.

This is important to me and I want to say why. I have lived here in Astoria for the last 5 years with the man that I love....completely and with no hesitation. Our neighbors now we are a couple and accept us completely. I am so happy here. But, more importantly, our lives are entwined in the same way as any straight couple. This is what I personally worry about. My partner is an actor, so as you can imagine, his income is at time sporadic. I am the steady breadwinner of the family. If I meet an untimely end, I want to make sure he is protected. In other words, I want to be able to proved and protect him in the same way that any straight person in a traditional sense would want to protect their spouse.

That is all I am asking for....to provide for the one I love and protect him before the government of New York.....nothing more and nothing less.

I love him...and I never imagined before in my life that I would reach a state such as I feel now. I guess the only thing I can ask is to let me be as complete as you. This isn't an attack....but a plea. I want to be equal because I want to protect my partner.

If the governor really wants the bill to pass, why the hell is he pushing it through when it may not pass?  Why doesn't he wait until Duane's ready and he will have the votes?  So stupid of Patterson...  It just reinforces my belief that most politicians are out for themselves and do not necessarily care about the issues they supposedly believe in.  If he really cared about the bill passing, he'd wait.  But Patterson knows that his numbers are in the tank and everyone downstate is pissed about the MTA fare increases, so he wants to push through the bill to make a big splash.  Am I being too cynical?  What do you guys think? 

Offline kempsternyc

• Senator
  • Me in a bowler hat and nowhere to go.
If the governor really wants the bill to pass, why the hell is he pushing it through when it may not pass?  Why doesn't he wait until Duane's ready and he will have the votes?  So stupid of Patterson...  It just reinforces my belief that most politicians are out for themselves and do not necessarily care about the issues they supposedly believe in.  If he really cared about the bill passing, he'd wait.  But Patterson knows that his numbers are in the tank and everyone downstate is pissed about the MTA fare increases, so he wants to push through the bill to make a big splash.  Am I being too cynical?  What do you guys think? 

::: scratches head ::::

I am not sure what is going on in the Governor's Office. But Sen Duane was at the Press Conference, and even that, I'm not sure how to read.

What I know is this. There seems to be a sense of optimism that the Marriage Equality bill can pass this year, if it is done right. That is why there is a secret list of Republicans that are open to voting for the bill. The main proponents don't want it known until the vote comes up.

As far as Gov Patterson directly is concerned, I can understand your feelings in the broader terms of politicians using the bully pulpit to salvage their careers. But in his defense, I don't think this is, personally, a politically motivated stance. He has talked openly about a gay couple that were friends of his parents while he was growing up. This is, at some level, personal for him.
I love talking about nothing father, it is the only thing I know anything about -

Lord Goring "An Ideal Husband"

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life