relax

Author Topic: Important - Call Senator George Onorato & Ask him to support marriage equality  (Read 25865 times)

Offline paratactical

• Governor
Para - the bill is being introduced tomorrow:  http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/15/nyregion/15marriage.html

I really hope it passes this time around as I'd really like to make an honest man out of my partner.  *grin*

I called and I hope you can make an honest man out of him soon!

Please post phone numbers and emails, I'll gladly reach out to them.

Me too!

Offline ManicMaurice

• Campaigning for Council
    • ManicMaurice.com
I have yet to hear a truly compelling reason why I should be against marriage equality for gay and lesbian couples. It simply makes sense that they be allowed the same rights that are given to straight couples -- all men being created equal and all. This is one of a long list of steps that we as a nation need to take to assure that all of our citizens are treated with the respect and dignity that is afforded them by the Declaration of Independence and the United States Constitution.

I emailed Senator George Onorato and I have posted on Facebook, Twitter, & Friendfeed encouraging other Astorians to do the same. I also agree with Merm and I expressed this position to the Senator -- his stance on this issue will most definitely affect how I vote.

Now go rent Milk or check out the free Harvey Milk / Gay Rights documentary on Hulu ... :mrgreen:

Hulu: The Times of Harvey Milk
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 12:23:04 PM by ManicMaurice »
My website: ManicMaurice.com

Offline TRX

• Governor
  • It only makes me laugh
    • http://www.lp.org
28-11 Astoria Blvd.

Tel:  (718) 545-9706

Fax:  (718) 726-2036

I have yet to hear a truly compelling reason why I should be against marriage equality for gay and lesbian couples.

Now go rent Milk or check out the free Harvey Milk / Gay Rights documentary on Hulu ... :mrgreen:

Hulu: The Times of Harvey Milk

Given the timing this week, I imagine calling is one of the best efforts right now.
And JFP did a fantastic job in sharing time with Mr. Onorato to explain the position.
Whatever the results, it appears the outcome would be close.

So if fairness does not come this week, keep up the effort.

Any idea which other Democrats oppose the legislation, and would any GOP Senators vote for it?
The Gov seems free to take this worthy risk to push for finally an actual vote.

“The timing was always right,” Mr. Paterson said on Tuesday as he announced an economic-development grant in Nassau County. “It’s just who is willing to take that step. And I am.”

Once Mr. Paterson introduces the bill, a step that he is expected to formally announce on Thursday morning, the focus will shift to the Assembly, where the measure passed in 2007 by a vote of 85 to 61, and is expected to pass again this year.

But cracking the Senate Republican conference, which is known for its unanimity and solidarity, will be a difficult task, same-sex-marriage supporters concede. Republican leaders have said they are not budging on the issue.

“Our conference hasn’t supported gay marriage, and nothing has changed,” said John McArdle, a spokesman for Senate Republicans.

But Mr. Duane said that he had assurances from some Republicans that they would vote for the bill. He declined to name them.

Still, Mr. Duane said that while the governor’s bill was an important gesture, it could end up being ultimately just that.

“It’s still only paper, words, unless we all fight to make it a reality,” he said.

We live in exciting times and the march toward equality is moving forward.  Five states currently grant gay and lesbian couples the right to marry.  New York  should be the sixth state - marriage equality passed the State Assembly and Governor Paterson has promised to sign the legislation into law.  If the State Senate votes for marriage equality, New Yorkers of all sexual orientations will enjoy the right to marry.

If you have more time, go to Marriage Equality New York's web site and get involved
(http://www.meny.us/)
or write the Senator

(http://www.jeremiahfp.org/downloads/OnoratoLetterPacket.doc)

Thank you,

Jeremiah

« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 12:34:35 PM by TRX »
Life, Liberty, Happiness (pursuit of) and pasta

Offline C-J

• Senator
I called and I hope you can make an honest man out of him soon!

Me too!

Thanks Para!  We've been together seven years now which is longer than most of our friends both gay and straight!

Offline JeremiahFP

• Resident
Thanks to all who have reached out on to the Senator and who are organizing to move us forward.  With Senator Onorato, respectful phone calls and letters are more effective than emails.  That said, this issue is urgent right now, so anything you can do to try to change his mind is much appreciated.

I understand that this is a difficult issue for some people, but I think Maurice (and others) are exactly right: this is a civil rights issue and people should be free to marry whomever they love.  Here's a great video by the Courage Campaign:  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-awVQkTeVE

TRX - Here's hoping you can make an honest man out of him soon!

Offline JeremiahFP

• Resident
The most important phone calls are to his Albany office because that's where legislative decisions are made and (we believe) that's where calls are counted:  518-455-3486.

It's good to also call the local office, but please call the Albany office first.

Offline paratactical

• Governor
The most important phone calls are to his Albany office because that's where legislative decisions are made and (we believe) that's where calls are counted:  518-455-3486.

It's good to also call the local office, but please call the Albany office first.

When I called, they asked for my address and how long I'd been in the area and all that. I was super polite and tried to express my appreciation for what he has called his more traditional beliefs but that I believe that I and many of his constituents would like to pass legislation allowing gay marriage.

Offline BRIAN

• Activist
hi  my name is brian  i was one of three people who went to senator onarado office yesterday to see where he stands on marriage equality i was surprised when he said hes 100% against marriage equalityand he says people of astoria are against it too.i told him hes wrong  53% of astoria wants marriage equality.i find the senator way out of touch with the people of astoria  not just on this issue but many issues.its time that someone who is progressive run for his seat in 2010  i will surport anyone thats progressive to run.

Offline AJTNYC

• Global Moderator
  • Running for President
  • Plays well with others...
Thanks everyone for all the info.  I called and emailed the misguided Senator.  :-)

By the way, his email addy is onorato@senate.state.ny.us.

Offline NYCMacUser

• President
  • Bippidi Boppidi Boo!
Perhaps this thread can be the impetus to finding and supporting a candidate—who is not such a dinosaur—who can successfully beat the next machine-backed Onorato candidacy.
Women are like teabags.
We don't know our true strength
until we are in hot water! —Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline merm

• Administrator
  • Governor
Perhaps this thread can be the impetus to finding and supporting a candidate—who is not such a dinosaur—who can successfully beat the next machine-backed Onorato candidacy.

Well, this issue I think will sure raise people's awareness to who he is at least. I mean, to be honest I didn't know much about the guy before this issue came up.

Offline JoeyC

• Senator
An eleven year old boy killed himself because of anti-gay taunts. No I don't think I'm getting carried away.

Oh and my family has been in NY state since the revolutionary war....what's your point?

And I will not spend time correcting your spelling and grammatical errors.

So you got to get on my spelling errors, and criticize my grammar?    You did, in a sneaky way. I  thought insults weren't allowed here.

I bought up Astoria because someone else who is here fo five minutes did.

And since you bought up New York State, how about the people of the state vote on it?  Oh, can't do that, it would be llike all other states like California. You would lose.  :-D

Offline enigmacat

• Governor
  • I am not a minion of evil. I am upper management.
I just emailed senator O. *fingers crossed* Come on, NY!

Offline kempsternyc

• Senator
  • Me in a bowler hat and nowhere to go.
Is there a specific legislative vote that is coming up? If so, does anyone know the name or have a link to the official information?

Thanks!

Gov Paterson is going to introduce a program bill....but Sen Duane believes that it is too soon and doesn't really sound happy about the governor's action. For those that don't know...and I don't mean it badly, Sen Duane is an out gay member of our Senate. (not sure if "out gay member" makes sense)

My understanding is this. Sen Duane feels he has the votes (including supportive GOPers) but isn't quite ready to bring it to the floor of the Senate. When he is, he will do so, and it will be by the end of June. We already know it will pass the Assembly, the drama is in the Senate.

I am going up to Albany, April 28th, to lobby our Senator to vote for gay marriage. My understanding is that he is listening because the union he belonged to, the bricklayers union, has come out in support of marriage equality. Who knows were it will end....but I am hopeful.

This is important to me and I want to say why. I have lived here in Astoria for the last 5 years with the man that I love....completely and with no hesitation. Our neighbors now we are a couple and accept us completely. I am so happy here. But, more importantly, our lives are entwined in the same way as any straight couple. This is what I personally worry about. My partner is an actor, so as you can imagine, his income is at time sporadic. I am the steady breadwinner of the family. If I meet an untimely end, I want to make sure he is protected. In other words, I want to be able to proved and protect him in the same way that any straight person in a traditional sense would want to protect their spouse.

That is all I am asking for....to provide for the one I love and protect him before the government of New York.....nothing more and nothing less.

I love him...and I never imagined before in my life that I would reach a state such as I feel now. I guess the only thing I can ask is to let me be as complete as you. This isn't an attack....but a plea. I want to be equal because I want to protect my partner.
I love talking about nothing father, it is the only thing I know anything about -

Lord Goring "An Ideal Husband"

Offline kempsternyc

• Senator
  • Me in a bowler hat and nowhere to go.
I do want to thank all the positive response I have read in this thread. It means a lot to me
I love talking about nothing father, it is the only thing I know anything about -

Lord Goring "An Ideal Husband"

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life