relax

Author Topic: Important - Call Senator George Onorato & Ask him to support marriage equality  (Read 24505 times)

Offline JeremiahFP

• Resident
We live in exciting times and the march toward equality is moving forward.  Five states currently grant gay and lesbian couples the right to marry.  New York  should be the sixth state - marriage equality passed the State Assembly and Governor Paterson has promised to sign the legislation into law.  If the State Senate votes for marriage equality, New Yorkers of all sexual orientations will enjoy the right to marry.

Today, two Astorians and I met with Senator George Onorato, the State Senator who represents us.  Senator Onorato made it clear that he opposes marriage equality and that he plans to vote against it in the State Senate.  He says that Astoria is a "conservative district" and that most Astorians agree with him that a marriage is between a man and a woman.  The Senator is standing on the wrong side of history, and he is doing it in our names.  I think the Senator is wrong about our community.  If you live in Astoria and you think marriage is a right that should be available to all, please call Senator Onorato's office at 518-455-3486 and let his staff know how you feel.

One of the people meeting with Senator Onorato is a gay man - he told the Senator that he and his partner were denied over 1,000 rights that are available to heterosexual couples.  I told the Senator that my own upcoming marriage is an interracial marriage.  43 years ago my fiancee and I would not be allowed to get married in America, and our relationship is better off because other people fought for justice (for more details, read this incredible statement in support of marriage equality from Mildred Loving, a black woman who was jailed for marrying a white man: http://lesbianlife.about.com/od/gaymarriageinformation/a/Loving.htm).  Brian Beard explained to the Senator that a majority of Astorians actually do support marriage equality, as do most of New York's leading elected officials.  The Senator was unmoved by our presentations, so I ask you to call Senator Onorato to stand up for the rights of us.  If you have more time, go to Marriage Equality New York's web site and get involved (http://www.meny.us/) or write the Senator (http://www.jeremiahfp.org/downloads/OnoratoLetterPacket.doc)

Thank you,

Jeremiah

P.S.  If you haven't already, check out the Courage Campaign's video in support of marriage equality:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-awVQkTeVE

P.P.S.  I'm not a pro with this message board, but think this is not just an Out Astoria topic.  Can mods share it more generally?

Offline JoeyC

• Senator
I don't equate race issue with gay rights, it's a constant cheap shot.   

Offline JeremiahFP

• Resident
I agree with you that there are definitely differences between race and sexuality.  But I think, when it comes to marriage, the similarities are compelling.  I'm straight and my fiancee is black; I'm mindful that our relationship wouldn't be possible in much of America just 45 years ago, and I'm mindful that our marriage is only possible because others stood up for civil rights.  It's our generation's turn to stand up for the LBGT people's right to marry.

Mildred Loving, the woman who went to jail for marrying a white man and who brought the court case that made interracial marriage legal throughout the U.S. said it best:

"Surrounded as I am now by wonderful children and grandchildren, not a day goes by that I don’t think of Richard and our love, our right to marry, and how much it meant to me to have that freedom to marry the person precious to me, even if others thought he was the 'wrong kind of person' for me to marry. I believe all Americans, no matter their race, no matter their sex, no matter their sexual orientation, should have that same freedom to marry. Government has no business imposing some people’s religious beliefs over others. Especially if it denies people’s civil rights."

http://www.positiveliberty.com/2007/06/mildred-lovings-statement.html

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
He does not seem to realize that Astoria has changed a lot since he was first elected.  I just hope we can educate him and get enough contacts to his office in support of marriage equality that he listens and changes this position.

Offline kempsternyc

• Senator
  • Me in a bowler hat and nowhere to go.
I don't equate race issue with gay rights, it's a constant cheap shot.   

No it is not a cheap shot. Because the same people that would argue today that separate but equal civil union are okay, would have once argued that separate drinking fountains are equal. or separate eating areas are equal...on and on and on.

It is not meant as a cheap shot. I still recall vividly the Colin Powell interview when he argued that discrimination based on skin color is different from discrimination based on sexual orientation.

But I say that All discrimination is evil. When one declares a certain part of society less than you, one is the same as the KKK.
I love talking about nothing father, it is the only thing I know anything about -

Lord Goring "An Ideal Husband"

Offline JoeyC

• Senator
You're geting carried away with KKK reference.    I'm against it, and calling Onarto to vote against it.    My family is here since 1960's, I was born here in 1970's, and many in Astoira do not want it.  It should go to a vote by people.     

Offline kempsternyc

• Senator
  • Me in a bowler hat and nowhere to go.
You're geting carried away with KKK reference.    I'm against it, and calling Onarto to vote against it.    My family is here since 1960's, I was born here in 1970's, and many in Astoira do not want it.  It should go to a vote by people.     

An eleven year old boy killed himself because of anti-gay taunts. No I don't think I'm getting carried away.

Oh and my family has been in NY state since the revolutionary war....what's your point?

And I will not spend time correcting your spelling and grammatical errors.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 06:55:15 AM by kempsternyc »
I love talking about nothing father, it is the only thing I know anything about -

Lord Goring "An Ideal Husband"

Offline TRX

• Governor
  • It only makes me laugh
    • http://www.lp.org
Thank you JFP for this notice on marriage equality.

Is it known if this will go to a vote. And would you want it to go to a vote whether or not the elected officials vote yes or no?
Voters can then keep this vote in mind for the next election.

I think anyone who believes this is an important issue should contact Onorato.
It appears this issue is moving forward state after state and NY should not be left behind.
Elected officials should do their job and if the voters dont like it, they can then respond.

Learn about the issue if you are not familiar. It is a shame when a couple loses a spouse and does not have the same protections most would have because they were denied to marry.

I have seen some debate where over in CA whether the state should be in the business of marriage and discriminating who can marry.

Life, Liberty, Happiness (pursuit of) and pasta

Offline merm

• Administrator
  • Governor
I called, left a message. This is an election issue for me, if the Senator ends up voting against marriage equality I won't be able to vote for him in the future unfortunately because it will be clear he doesn't represent me. I encouraged him to vote in support. For anyone who looked on in disappointment as California narrowly passed Prop 8 I strongly encourage you to not allow history to repeat itself. It is your/our turn. Calling only takes 2 minutes. Contact Info

My family is here since 1960's, I was born here in 1970's, and many in Astoira do not want it.  It should go to a vote by people.

Quote from: kempsternyc
what's your point?

Kempster, this is just the argument made by a few Astorians that Astoria is somehow more "theirs" than anyone else's because they've been here longer. That somehow their votes, tax dollars, and opinions carry more weight because of it.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 09:22:11 AM by merm »

Offline paratactical

• Governor
I would like to share with you this article the New York Times did on the success in Vermont: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/08/us/08vermont.html

On the second page of this article you can find this quote:
Representative Robert South, a freshman Democrat from a conservative district, said he reversed his position after 228 of his constituents reached out and urged him to support the override, compared with 198 who urged him to oppose it.

“It was very difficult for me,” Mr. South said, “because the marriage equality bill, as far as I’m concerned, has split the state. I see how close my numbers are for and against same-sex marriage, and it’s divided my constituents, and that’s what upsets me.”

The voice of the people mattered in Vermont. It will matter in New York.

Offline purplecurlygirl

• Council Member
I emailed him last night. I really hope he pays attention!

Offline 28Grand

• Global Moderator
  • Senator
My family has lived in Astoria since the 20s and I was born here in the 60s. I don’t presume to speak for any other Astorian but I support the legislation and will contact Oronato.

Not all life-long or longer-term Astorians are as conservative about this issue as some would have you think and many have gay family member and friends.

And it wouldn’t hurt contacting Taminent Club regulars, including the Peter Vallone, Paul Vallone, Mike Gianaris and Gloria D’Amico to see if they have any influence with their esteemed colleague. Carolyn Maloney is always a special guest star at Taminent during election time, maybe she can pop over and have a word too.

Offline paratactical

• Governor
Is there a specific legislative vote that is coming up? If so, does anyone know the name or have a link to the official information?

Thanks!

Offline C-J

• Senator
Para - the bill is being introduced tomorrow:  http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/15/nyregion/15marriage.html

I really hope it passes this time around as I'd really like to make an honest man out of my partner.  *grin*

Offline merm

• Administrator
  • Governor
And it wouldn’t hurt contacting Taminent Club regulars, including the Peter Vallone, Paul Vallone, Mike Gianaris and Gloria D’Amico to see if they have any influence with their esteemed colleague. Carolyn Maloney is always a special guest star at Taminent during election time, maybe she can pop over and have a word too.

Please post phone numbers and emails, I'll gladly reach out to them.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life