relax

Author Topic: CitiField: What do you think?  (Read 3125 times)

Offline erpotown

• Mayor
  • Hello
CitiField: What do you think?
« on: March 29, 2009, 06:29:39 PM »
Did anyone go to the St. Johns vs. Georgetown opening day game at Citifield today? Despite the weather, I had a great time. There is so much to see at the new stadium. You can walk around freely from level to level and there is something new to see everywhere you turn. Tons of shops, concessions, Blue Smoke, Shake Shack, a "Kiddie Field", a brand new home run apple, the Shea Stadium original Home Run Apple (Yes!!!), and lots more. There was even some random ladies boutique shop with clothes by Alyssa Milano. (WTF?)  The concessions stands are all on the outer walls of the stadium, so you usually have an unobstructed view of the field from wherever you stand. I was sitting up in the promenade section, but the seats didn't feel nearly as high up as they did in the old Shea Stadium. Seats are tilted towards the field in most sections. The view from the outfield (I think it is called Pepsi Patio) are even great seats. I really don't think there are any bad seats unless you have an obstructed view from the foul pole or are far under an overhang. Even then, I don't think they are that bad. The Jackie Robinson Rotunda was impressive, although I commented to my friend that I felt like I was walking into a shopping mall more than a baseball stadium. I don't have much to compare this to since I have only been to Shea and Yankees stadiums, but I was definitely impressed.

Everyone was really excited to see the new stadium. It was amusing to see so many grown men practically giddy with excitement walking through the gates. The staff were pleasant and everyone was in a festive mood.

Did you go today? What did you think?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lizzyvegas/sets/72157616094832018/

Offline thanos27

• Senator
Re: CitiField: What do you think?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 02:24:51 PM »
My friend went went and said the scoreboard went out , the microphone wasnt working for a while and the stadium only has 40k seats . Now in a great series vs the braves or phillies come sept , we need 65k seats in nyc not 40k . Playoff time we will have one of the smallest stadiums in baseball , meanwhile we r in the biggest market . I was very pissed off at that . Now tickets will be even harder to get .
Yankee stadium  will hold abt 57k ,  i wish citicorpse field had the same amount of seats .

Offline erpotown

• Mayor
  • Hello
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 10:37:26 PM »
The scoreboard did go out twice and there were definitely parts of the stadium that were getting finishing touches (like a few escalators not yet working) but I think one of the points of yesterday's game and probably the exhibition games this weekend are to work on the kinks.

Yankee Stadium might hold more people, but who can afford those tickets? Looks like a family day at Yankee Stadium could put many in the poor house this season:
http://www.newsday.com/sports/ny-spbest256082453mar25,0,6792538.column

At least you can still find some seats at Citifield for under $20, depending on the game of course.

Offline bstewart

• Mayor
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 10:56:13 PM »
A helpful blogger posted this essential Citifield information

Offline thanos27

• Senator
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 01:52:56 AM »
Yankees actually did have seats under $20 dollars , but they all sold out . When u are the biggest attraction in sports , and have the biggest brand name in sports , u cant blame the yankees for using that to their advantage . Ofcourse prices went up just like they did at Citifield . Yankees led the majors in attendence again last yr and looks like they will again this yr , so yea as a fan it sucks to not want to pay that much for a game but as a business i cant really blame them .   My house might be worth 800k , if someone offers me 2 mil , am i gonna say no ?    Dodge vipers were priced at 50k when they came out , but due to huge demand , u wont find one ever at this price. So no viper for me . Unless tickets go down , i wont be paying $500 for a seat either , too bad .Life goes on . Im a huge baseball fan , but its a choice u have  and of the seats r that high , like d-bag management said " our prices are our prices even in this economy "  then just watch from home .

Offline sandwichnyc

• Activist
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 03:32:43 PM »
I was at the game last night and here are my thoughts:

Pros - It is without a doubt a beautiful ballpark.  The views are great, the food and drink choices are STELLAR, and there's a lot of places where you can just go and chill out.  Even during the rain delay, you felt like there was somewhere you could go.  This is a big plus from Shea.  They still need to work out some logistics with the food because the lines were insane, but the workers were very pleasant.  It created a fun atmosphere.

Cons - If you're a longtime fan, the place doesn't scream "this is the home of the Mets" like Shea used to (yes I know it just opened, but still).  It's based off Ebbets Field, which was not a Mets ballpark.  The rotunda is a huge tribute to someone who is a crucial figure in baseball history for sure, but who never played on the Mets.  Many of the elements that were brought over from Shea are hidden from view if you're at your seats watching the game.  Maybe more things are coming, but at this point I feel like it lacks a true Mets identity and that bugged me a bit.

Overall though, it's going to be an exciting season at Citifield and I'm so glad baseball is back!

Offline bstewart

• Mayor
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 06:11:48 PM »
I was there too. did you see me?  I agree with your impression, but no doubt it will get to feel more like home. Also, my gf has season tickets in top section, and we kinda missed having a section of seats above us when it rained.

Offline sandwichnyc

• Activist
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 11:36:19 PM »
I was there too. did you see me?  I agree with your impression, but no doubt it will get to feel more like home. Also, my gf has season tickets in top section, and we kinda missed having a section of seats above us when it rained.

Agreed about the rain protection but I like that when you're in the top seats now you don't get the same vertigo that you had at Shea.  :)  I was in section 522 last night and I was happy with the view we had, except if someone stood at the top of the staircase in front of us it totally blocked the view of the batter.  My 15-pack seats are in section 508 I think so hopefully those will be even better. 

Offline bstewart

• Mayor
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 01:06:50 AM »
She's got 514, and you're right. In her similar seats at shea, there were maybe 20 rows of people who could stand and block our view, plus the hotdog and beer guys (and the cowbell person.)  At citifield there are just 4 or 5 rows of people in the sightline.

Are the only escalators way out at the field ends of the stadium? It's a lot of steps getting up there.

Offline JoeyC

• Senator
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 01:18:33 AM »
It looks nice from photo, I have not gone yet.     I hope they straightened out all structural problems old Shea stadium had.   There shoul dbe no bad seats, where some parts of field are blocked, no plumbing problems, no rain dripping from overhead.      I once had to sit in section of shea  where through entire game we were havng leak from earlier rain fall on our entire section.

Offline TRX

• Governor
  • It only makes me laugh
    • http://www.lp.org
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 12:08:59 PM »
I may note the NYD too much today, but the Daily News today has a nice feature on ChitiChiti Field.

One thing that really struck me is they wrote part of the stadium is inspired by the Hellgate bridge. Really?

I dont know what it is like to miss the old Mets place or 86 or that history, but the Mets were an expansion team looking to bring back to Queens some of the history of NY baseball from Dodgers and Giants, thus the colors. I think it is great there is a J. Robinson rotunda and that helps to make it for me more of a destination site.

As a fan of baseball and architecture/design, wow look at the history of HOK.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HOK_Sport_%2B_Venue_%2B_Event

Some of the parks visited that made me curious about newer stadiums were Camden, and Coors. But non-HOK, Safeco field really impressed me.
Glad to know the new NY parks stand well in comparison.
Life, Liberty, Happiness (pursuit of) and pasta

Offline sandwichnyc

• Activist
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2009, 03:22:03 PM »
She's got 514, and you're right. In her similar seats at shea, there were maybe 20 rows of people who could stand and block our view, plus the hotdog and beer guys (and the cowbell person.)  At citifield there are just 4 or 5 rows of people in the sightline.

Are the only escalators way out at the field ends of the stadium? It's a lot of steps getting up there.

Yes, unfortunately I think the far end escalators are the only ones I saw on that level.  I was back there today for the open workout and we went to check out 508 - as you said, a LOT of stairs to climb.  I'm gonna feel that tomorrow!

TRX - the pedestrian walkway on the field level that goes to the food court with Shake Shack and Blue Smoke is a bridge structure that does look very much like the Hellgate so that must have been what the article was talking about.  Nice touch!

Offline Alison

• Senator
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2009, 09:42:43 PM »
I went to the Mets-Red Sox game on Sat afternoon and I loved walking over the mini-Hellgate bridge :) It took a while to get around the whole ballpark since everyone was slow-walking and looking around, but it was pretty cool, even if it was windy as hell. I do have to say that I was skeptical since I'm all about old school ballparks, and was all sad & teary-eyed as Shea came down (I drive by almost every day)....but I approve of this ballpark :)

Also, Shake Shack! SHAKE SHACK!!! I didn't wait in line for a burger, it was kinda nutso. I hope it's as good as the real thing.
What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?

Offline sandwichnyc

• Activist
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2009, 11:16:59 PM »
I went to the Mets-Red Sox game on Sat afternoon and I loved walking over the mini-Hellgate bridge :) It took a while to get around the whole ballpark since everyone was slow-walking and looking around, but it was pretty cool, even if it was windy as hell. I do have to say that I was skeptical since I'm all about old school ballparks, and was all sad & teary-eyed as Shea came down (I drive by almost every day)....but I approve of this ballpark :)

Also, Shake Shack! SHAKE SHACK!!! I didn't wait in line for a burger, it was kinda nutso. I hope it's as good as the real thing.

Speaking of, today at the ballpark was the first time I got to experience the joy that is Shake Shack.  I've never been to the original so I can't compare, but the burger I had was excellent.  It lives up to the hype.  However, I definitely recommend that instead of getting Shack fries that you go for Box Frites instead.  Their fries are outstanding.  Hmmm...maybe it's good that I have to walk up a lot of stairs to my seats after all... ;)

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life