relax

Author Topic: BWAY area Couch to 5K?  (Read 2442 times)

Offline enigmacat

• Governor
  • I am not a minion of evil. I am upper management.
BWAY area Couch to 5K?
« on: March 21, 2009, 03:35:08 PM »
I've done couch to 5K before and liked it - now I'd be starting at the beginning again.

Are there other people in the broadway area who'd be interested in a running group? Just one running buddy would be great, a whole group would be fabulous. Evening runs around 7.00 would be pretty good for me.

Offline enigmacat

• Governor
Re: BWAY area Couch to 5K?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 10:37:20 AM »
I can also be flexible about timing. Come on, there has to be ONE astorian who'd like to do some beginner-level jogging with me 2 or 3 times a week!

Offline NYCGoalie

• Council Member
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 10:40:51 AM »
Way too cold for me to even think about running.  I usually start around mid-late April, when the weather gets at least to a consistent 50 degrees. 

I'm sure many others are the same way.

Offline beatlebrat

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 09:06:13 AM »
enigmacat, I'm a not-terribly-fast-but-fairly-experienced runner, and I would love to run with you!  My weeknights are a little out of the question, until the end of May (grad school), but weekends are golden.  Let's talk! :)

Offline enigmacat

• Governor
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 09:56:58 AM »
not-terribly-fast-but-experienced sounds good to me, as do weekends! I'll pm you :)

Offline Mer

• Mayor
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 10:03:26 AM »
Okay, I think I can be persuaded to give it a try.  However, I may not advance much.  I love walking and speed-walking but I'm not one much for jogging.  I'll do it on a treadmill because there's some shock absorption there, but the unforgiving concrete's another thing.  But hey, maybe starting off really slowly may help.  Anyway, for me, I guess mornings and weekends are best because, as you know enigma, I never know how late I'll be working.

Offline TRX

• Governor
  • It only makes me laugh
    • http://www.lp.org
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 10:18:38 AM »
  I love walking and speed-walking but I'm not one much for jogging. 

Walking is GREAT exercise too. And some speed walkers are faster than some joggers.
Happy trails.
Life, Liberty, Happiness (pursuit of) and pasta

Offline enigmacat

• Governor
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 10:20:46 AM »
another convert! :D

I'm not against trying morning running though i do think i run better later in the day. i know what you mean about the hard concrete ... but i strategically saved $$ by not renewing my gym membership this year. i think the slow start helps, too.

And any time you just want to go for a walk give me a ring. I LOVE walking.

Offline nyc8675309

• Campaigning for Council
    • bread and butter
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 10:37:09 PM »
I just started tonight.   I learned that I cannot have anyone run with me.   sorry.    but I am out there!

: )

Offline Mer

• Mayor
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2009, 09:39:46 AM »
another convert! :D

I'm not against trying morning running though i do think i run better later in the day. i know what you mean about the hard concrete ... but i strategically saved $$ by not renewing my gym membership this year. i think the slow start helps, too.

And any time you just want to go for a walk give me a ring. I LOVE walking.

I started going to the gym in the morning again.  So far, so good.  But I'd definitely like to supplement it with some evening walking.  I'll PM or give a ring on the days that a good for walking.  And hey, maybe I'll even work my way up to jogging.

Offline enigmacat

• Governor
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2009, 10:32:25 PM »
I'm once more looking for a walking/running buddy, or a group of walking/running buddies, to walk/run in the evenings in the Broadway/ 30th ave/ 34th Ave vicinity.

I'm an experienced walker.
I'm a bad runner.
Join me!

Offline TRX

• Governor
  • It only makes me laugh
    • http://www.lp.org
walk walk April Re: Couch to 5K?
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2010, 11:56:58 AM »
wow, ever done a search for couch, thats a popular one.
Most recently been less 5k and more couch.

NY has the Parks Run coming up in CP
April 18

http://www.nyrr.org/races/2010/calendar/april.asp

Have other walking for now, but would be up for the Astoria track later Sunday. A short visit there, and even just 10++ minutes regularly may get you to better paths.

!! April 07  !!

http://www.startwalkingnow.org/why_start_walking.jsp

http://americanheart.mediaroom.com/index.php

“Physical activity, including regular walking, is an important modifiable behavior for stroke prevention,” said Jacob R. Sattelmair, M.Sc., lead author and doctoral candidate in epidemiology at Harvard School of Public Health in Boston, Mass.
“Physical activity is essential to promoting cardiovascular health and reducing risk of cardiovascular disease, and walking is one way of achieving physical activity.”

More physically active people generally have a lower risk of stroke than the least active, with more-active persons having a 25 percent to 30 percent lower risk for all strokes, according to previous studies.

“Though the exact relationship among different types of physical activity and different stroke
subtypes remains unclear, the results of this specific study indicate that walking, in particular, is associated with lower risk of stroke,” Sattelmair said.
Life, Liberty, Happiness (pursuit of) and pasta

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life