relax

Author Topic: Tsoureki - Greek Easter Egg Bread at Artopolis Bakery  (Read 10573 times)

Offline round2

• Running for Mayor
Re: Tsoureki - Greek Easter Egg Bread at Artopolis Bakery
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2009, 04:19:29 PM »
So glad you gave it a try.  I feel like our neighborhood has so many rare or hidden treasures.  I hate to see imagine them disappearing without people even being aware of them.

Another example for me is the festival for the senses that is Laziza of New York, the Middle Eastern pastry shop on Steinway above 29th Street.  Here's a cool thread about it from the archives of Chowhound:

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/248693

Offline round2

• Running for Mayor
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2010, 04:38:28 PM »
An unbelievably gorgeous day like today is in itself mind-blowing.  I wandered in to Artopolis just now to join a crowd pleading for loaves hot out of the oven of their delirium-inducing Tsoureki.

That bread, hot out of the oven, on a day like today... 

Beyond pleasure.

Offline Mer

• Mayor
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2010, 06:17:44 PM »
So, the question is, do I get my loaf this year from the same place I always get it, the bakery on the corner of B'way and 31st (gah...can't remember what they're called at the moment) or do I try someplace new?  I see that Omonia is selling it but I have no idea where they get it.  And I don't know if I'll have time to run over to Artopolis.

Offline StephanieL

• Running for Senate
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2010, 08:34:48 PM »
An unbelievably gorgeous day like today is in itself mind-blowing.  I wandered in to Artopolis just now to join a crowd pleading for loaves hot out of the oven of their delirium-inducing Tsoureki.

That bread, hot out of the oven, on a day like today... 

Beyond pleasure.

Now you're making me jealous.....by the time I can have bread again, it'll be after Easter!

Offline round2

• Running for Mayor
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2010, 09:27:25 PM »
Mer, I'd strongly advocate for making the trip to Artopolis. It's that good.

And StephanieL - the good news is that Artopolis makes tsoureki all year round.  A fact I realize that I take for granted. ;)

Offline ladydi

• Mayor
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2010, 08:34:40 AM »
Titan, on 31st Street, also has that bread all the time. I buy it regularly for my boyfriend's mom. She's from
Ecuador and loves it! Her face lights up when she sees me come in the door with their green & white bag.
They also have wonderful baked goods - Greek cookies and pastries. Always fresh and nice selection.

Offline Mer

• Mayor
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2010, 10:22:35 AM »
So, I didn't have time to go Artopolis, so I got my bread from Omonia instead.  And wow, I'm not even sure that the Easter bread that Parisi sells is the Greek Tsoureki Easter bread.   The Omonia bread had so much more flavor.  You could smell the spices through the plastic bag.  Whereas the Parisi stuff is slightly sweet but otherwise bland.  I'm sad that I've been going to Parisi's these past 4 years.  Although, the load I got from Omonia - a large round loaf- was $14.50.  That seems a bit steep to me.  I guess they can charge that much a day before Easter.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life