relax

Author Topic: Tsoureki - Greek Easter Egg Bread at Artopolis Bakery  (Read 8195 times)

Offline round2

• Running for Mayor
Tsoureki - Greek Easter Egg Bread at Artopolis Bakery
« on: March 20, 2009, 04:37:48 PM »
Okay, for me this is a great example of the special pleasures available to us in this neighborhood.  I don't think Artopolis only makes Tsoureki for Lent and Easter, but clearly there's a higher level of energy in there today then usual.  I saw them bagging and shelving loaves of this great looking bread - looks sort of like challah with almond slivers on it.

It's pretty fantastic - and it is sort of similar to a slightly sweeter challah, with ingredients including cardamon, orange extract, and three ingredients from Greece I wasn't familiar with before:  masticha (from mastic gum resin), machlepi (from ground cherry pits) and fitini (vegetable-derived butter, I think).

Anyway, this bread is good stuff.

Offline round2

• Running for Mayor
Re: Tsoureki - Greek Easter Egg Bread at Artopolis Bakery
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 05:19:03 PM »
For those who haven't been:

Artopolis
23-18 31st St.
Astoria
http://www.artopolis.net/

Offline LHT

• Mayor
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 12:35:50 PM »
Not only do they make it all year long, but they'll ship it anywhere for you!   :mrgreen:

Relatives moved down to Kentucky and they just call to get their fix delivered right to their door...!

Offline round2

• Running for Mayor
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 12:48:33 PM »
I think one reason I so appreciate the rare pleasures like this one available in Astoria is because I also grew up in places like Kentucky where you simply didn't have access or exposure to the kind of stuff we could easily take for granted living here.

But of course it's hard to find a good Southern biscuit, boiled peanuts, or fried okra up here too.

Offline KidMurdock

• Senator
  • just a dude
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 04:34:00 PM »
it is not difficult to find boiled peanuts (or pimento cheese) in my kitchen, especially during the summer.
kid.murdock
::true friends will always be there::

Offline round2

• Running for Mayor
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 04:38:44 PM »
Ah yes, you have to look underground to find these forbidden pleasures around here!

Offline KidMurdock

• Senator
  • just a dude
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 05:24:10 PM »
I was actually given my boiled peanut by an old boy in Alabama named Earl.  The only tricky part is finding raw peanuts, which isn't really even that hard.  It's basically nuts, Old Bay seasoning and a can or two of sliced Jalapenos set to boil for a few hours.  My only problem is that I can't find a whole lot of people who are into them, so I only make enough for myself, usually.
kid.murdock
::true friends will always be there::

Offline round2

• Running for Mayor
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 03:22:33 PM »
I was actually given my boiled peanut by an old boy in Alabama named Earl.  The only tricky part is finding raw peanuts, which isn't really even that hard.  It's basically nuts, Old Bay seasoning and a can or two of sliced Jalapenos set to boil for a few hours.  My only problem is that I can't find a whole lot of people who are into them, so I only make enough for myself, usually.

Getting your boiled peanuts from an old boy in Alabama named Earl sounds like the right way to me.  I've actually never come across (or looked up) the secret which you reveal for howto make boiled peanuts.  Now I'm going to have to give it a try myself.  That's cool!

Offline johnny4evah!

• Senator
  • He was such a nice boy from Queens
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 03:33:12 PM »
I'm happy enough with the Victory Brand Tsoureki. I like to slather a lot of butter on thick slices. Makes great French toast too! Never had the Artopolis tsoureki. Must be pricey. I'm always given one of those big honking round loaves every Christmas/Easter and really it's too much white flour for me!

Offline round2

• Running for Mayor
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009, 11:15:25 AM »
Is that the Victory Sweet Shop on Steinway just above Ditmars?  How is that place?  What else do you get there?

Offline johnny4evah!

• Senator
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2009, 12:14:04 PM »
Not much, I'm afraid. I've been trying to watch my weight, hence my whining about white flour. :-(

Victory has been around forever. I vaguely remember when they were located on 23rd Ave. My boyfriend likes their baklava, but I don't. He says it's "rustic". Ha ha. To me it's like eating cardboard and woodchips. I just buy their Tsoureki.

I can't call myself an authority on Greek bakeries or restaurants and don't want to offend any fellow Astorians.com Greeks, but back in the day I used to like Lefkos Pyrgos for baklava and galactobouriko.Titan has killer melomakarouna, but no bakery can top my aunt's kourabiedes or my late grandmother's diples!

Offline round2

• Running for Mayor
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2009, 03:51:00 PM »
I'm jealous!  A question about Lefkos Pyrgos: do they actually bake their stuff themselves?  I kind of assumed they bought their stuff from other places.

Offline johnny4evah!

• Senator
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2009, 03:58:35 PM »
Gee, I don't know!

Perhaps someone else here has the inside scoop.

Offline neo11

• Mayor
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2009, 07:38:13 PM »
Lefkos Pyrgos does bake its items in-house from what I know, as do Victory and Artopolis.

Offline StephanieL

• Running for Senate
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2009, 06:30:24 PM »
I just got a loaf yesterday, and it's very tasty--moist and barely sweetened.  It's good both plain or lightly toasted with a little butter. round2, thanks for posting this, because I'm not Greek and I never would have known about it otherwise.

Astorians

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2009, 06:30:24 PM »

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life