relax

Author Topic: Consumer Reports Article  (Read 2429 times)

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
Consumer Reports Article
« on: January 12, 2006, 10:59:54 AM »
There's an interesting article about buying organic, called When Buying Organic Pays (and Doesn't) by Consumer Reports.  It's not comprehensive at all (for instance, soy is not mentioned), but informative nonetheless, and I like the way they break things down.  I didn't realize that spinach was up there with strawberries as a vegetable that is best organic wrt pesticide residue.  I have known about strawberries for a while.

And if you click on the "getting organic food for less" and you'll find that joining a CSA is an option for getting affordable organic vegetables!  Here is the text:

Join the farm team. Buy a share in a community-supported organic farm and you’ll get a weekly supply of produce from spring until fall. The cost to feed a family of four generally ranges from $300 to $500 for the season. (Some farms also require you to work a few hours a month distributing or picking produce.) The savings can be substantial. A price study by a community-supported farm in the Northeast showed that the average $10 weekly cost for a shareholder’s produce supply almost always beat farmer’s market organic prices and often cost less than the same nonorganic items at a supermarket. Go to www.sare.org for a list of community-supported farms.

Our CSA farm, Green Thumb Farm, is one of the farms listed.  Nice!

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life