relax

Author Topic: ASTORIA'S NEWEST CSA! Membership opens March 1st, Sunday for 2009  (Read 3443 times)

Offline rmd

• Resident Visa
HARVEST ASTORIA CSA is Long Island City/Astoria's newest CSA!! If you have been on the waiting list at Astoria CSA or Hellgate - your wait is over! Maybe you prefer our farm - Norwich Meadows? Maybe our distribution site is more convenient for you? If you are interested in joining please go to www.harvestastoria.com and click on "contact us" to receive an email on more information.  We are still in the process of determining our distribution day but it will most likely be either Tues, Wed or Thurs evenings.

Harvest Astoria offers single (for roughly 2 to 3 people) and double vegetable shares (4-6 people).  We will also be offering fruit shares and various other add-ons including: Dairy (milk, yogurt, butter), Honey, Cheese, Granola, Maple Syrup, certified natural Ground Beef, eggs and chicken.

We will start accepting applications this Sunday, March 1st.  Please contact us and get more information on the location and time of our membership sign-up.  Look forward to meet you all!

-Harvest Astoria Core
 :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 05:08:43 PM by rmd »

Offline nyc8675309

• Campaigning for Council
    • bread and butter
Re: ASTORIA'S NEWEST CSA! Membership opens March 1st, Sunday for 2009
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 01:35:01 PM »
what type of fruit could be in the fruit share?

Offline rmd

• Resident Visa
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 05:28:31 PM »
Hi,

The fruit shares are all organic and vary from month to month.  For the first couple of weeks the fruits tend to be blueberries and other berries and perhaps occasional fresh juices in place of berries.  Towards the later months fruits range from apricots, peaches, nectarines and toward the last months apples, pears and plums.  We will not be getting strawberries because they're incredibly difficult to grow organically. 

Sorry we took a little bit to get back to you! We are busy gearing up for Sunday...hope to see you there!!

-Harvest Astoria Core

Offline Ciara266

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 06:28:40 PM »
I just joined today!  I'm psyched!!!! :)

Offline rmd

• Resident Visa
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 04:04:26 PM »
We're really excited too!! Thanks for signing up! We had a lot of fun Sunday...definitely let your friends know about us!  Our next membership drives are below:

Wednesday March 4th: 6-8pm
Wednesday March 11th: 6-8pm
Sunday March 15th:  11-2pm (this is registration + our "meet the farmer" day)

We finalized our distribution day - it will be on Wednesday nights between roughly 4-8pm.

For updates keep checking back at www.harvestastoria.com

Offline nikita58467

• Activist
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 11:10:05 AM »
I'm really interested in joining! How's the add-ons work? Do I have to place the order when I sign up for the vege share or I can add it each week/month? Do you guys have a price list of the add-on products? Thanks for organizing CSA! Fresh vege rocks!!!

Offline TrueBlue

• Activist
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 09:50:39 AM »
I'm really interested in joining! How's the add-ons work? Do I have to place the order when I sign up for the vege share or I can add it each week/month? Do you guys have a price list of the add-on products? Thanks for organizing CSA! Fresh vege rocks!!!

The add-ons work two ways.  First, you can pick the add-on before the season starts and pay for it according to your delivery preference (i.e., weekly, bi-monthly).  Alternatively, the farmer will be having 3 "Market Days" throughout the CSA delivery season.  On these Market Days you can order any item from the add-on list as an a la carte item and pay for it separately.

So to answer your question, you will have some flexibility during the year to get items that you did not sign up for at the beginning of the year.  That flexibility will, however, be limited to those 3 pre-scheduled Market Days.  We do have a price list of the add-ons but I'm not sure if it's available online.  Your best bet would be to stop by one of our membership meetings.  The next one is on Wednesday, March 11 at the Church of the Redeemer (Crescent & 30th Ave.) from 6pm to 8pm.  Our "Meet the Farmer" meeting will be at the same place on Sunday, March 15 from 11am to 2pm. 

You can get additional info at www.harvestastoria.com

Offline nikita58467

• Activist
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 10:15:52 AM »
Awesome! I also wonder if you guys will help match up people who want split up a share. I don't mind paying the whole share but I hate to see vege dying before I get to them!

Offline TrueBlue

• Activist
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 10:27:47 AM »
Awesome! I also wonder if you guys will help match up people who want split up a share. I don't mind paying the whole share but I hate to see vege dying before I get to them!

We'd be happy to take your contact info at the membership meeting and put you in touch with others who have also stated their preference to split a share.  From there it'd be up to you and the others to work out the details.

Offline dakota

• Activist
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009, 12:41:27 PM »
is anybody looking to split a vege share for astoria harvest? Let me know so we can sign up before it's full :)
thx
"new york's the greatest if you get someone to pay the rent"

Offline StephanieL

• Running for Senate
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 05:50:11 PM »
I just signed up to get more information--looks good!

Offline KidMurdock

• Senator
  • just a dude
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 03:22:39 PM »
has there been any additional info on this new CSA group?  I used the website to contact inquiring about any additional sign up dates in April, since, between hospital stays and being out of town, March hasn't been the best for me, but I haven't heard back.  I'm hoping that this might be more fruitful, since I'm really interested in joining, but haven't been able to get the info that I need, unfortunately.
kid.murdock
::true friends will always be there::

Offline rmd

• Resident Visa
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2009, 04:02:08 PM »
Hey,

We do have a few more spaces left.  You probably haven't heard back from us yet because we're still trying to figure out when we'll have a final sign up.  But we will get back to you!  If you want, you can send me a message with your email address and I can keep you posted!!

-Harvest Astoria Core

Offline rmd

• Resident Visa
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2009, 04:16:19 PM »
Hi,

The fruit shares are all organic and vary from month to month. 

Hi guys, I'm sorry this information is not correct.  We sent an email out to our members and potential members explaining the exact details, so I wanted to make sure I shared the info here as well.  Here's what we have posted on our FAQ page:

The fruit share is not certified organic.  Zaid partners with farmers in the area to provide fruit grown through an integrated pest management system (IPM).  Email us at info@harvestastoria.com or check out http://www.redjacketorchards.com/PDFs/IPM.pdf, if you'd like to know more.

Basically, the climate in the NE makes it almost impossible to grow completely 'organic' (pesticide free) fruit.  That's why a lot of the organic fruit that you do see at supermarkets is from more arid regions like Cali.  The humidity and moisture out here is a perfect breeding ground for fungus and other pests.  Paula Lukats, the CSA coordinator at Just Food, is not aware of any CSA in the city that offers 'organic' fruit.  We support IPM because it uses a host of other biological and organic methods before any chemicals are sprayed, and even then its used sparingly and only according to need. 

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life