relax

Author Topic: Obama's press conference  (Read 5222 times)

Offline essen

• Governor
Obama's press conference
« on: February 09, 2009, 09:31:49 PM »
Did anybody else watch it tonight? Did anyone not find it incredibly boring and long winded?

Offline johnny4evah!

• Senator
  • He was such a nice boy from Queens
Re: Obama's press conference
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 09:44:02 PM »
Yes and yes.

Offline EddieStjohns

• Council Member
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 10:33:41 PM »
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Offline essen

• Governor
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 12:28:28 AM »
OK, good. My roommates and I were all falling asleep (more accurately, one roommate went out to get coffee, one went back to using her computer, and I sat there staring at the TV blankly and started talking to my other roommate when he went back to rehashing his talking points). He seemed to have spent over 5 minutes on average answering every question. I felt like I was watching the first two debates, except there was no time limit. And I figured the reaction to the press conference would be universally negative, so then I go to Huffington Post to see what his most ardent fans were saying. They of course thought it was great. Obama apparently has as many nutty, diehard supporters as Bush did.

It's weird because I've seen his other news conferences since the inauguration, and all seemed much more fluid than this one. Not sure what happened here. It was like he was campaigning all over again.

Offline AlexNYC

• Senator
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 07:32:28 PM »
The difference between a George W Bush press conference and one by Barack Obama? A quantum leap in intelligence. Sorry if not everybody found it to be exciting. He's actually answering difficult questions, and he's being forthright about it.

Offline essen

• Governor
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 09:05:23 PM »
Alex, it wasn't that I was looking for excitement in watching Obama's news conference. It was that he kept going back to things he'd already said a bunch of times already. He would answer the reporter's question in maybe 4-5 sentences and then go on for a few minutes about other things that may or may not have been directly related to what was asked. It struck me as indulgent and self-serving, and it got to the point where I was able to predict the ending to just about every sentence he began. I wanted him to take more questions, not prattle on endlessly and redundantly. I hope this was a case of nerves and not a case of his trying to talk for such a long time in order to avoid more questions.

Offline Billz1981

• Senator
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 01:41:56 AM »
The difference between a George W Bush press conference and one by Barack Obama? A quantum leap in intelligence. Sorry if not everybody found it to be exciting. He's actually answering difficult questions, and he's being forthright about it.

Just as a side question, any thoughts on how long we'll have to listen to this kind of argument?  I know we're still in his first 100 days, so I'm willing to cut him some slack, but it seems like everything he does opens up some favorable comparison to President Bush.  Is there a group consensus on when he'll have to stand on his own merit, rather than Bush's?

Offline Sweeper

• Mayor
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 08:22:47 PM »
Just as a side question, any thoughts on how long we'll have to listen to this kind of argument?  I know we're still in his first 100 days, so I'm willing to cut him some slack, but it seems like everything he does opens up some favorable comparison to President Bush.  Is there a group consensus on when he'll have to stand on his own merit, rather than Bush's?

Mister nail meet mister head

Offline AlexNYC

• Senator
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 08:29:20 PM »
Sorry, it was such a breath of fresh air after 8 years of wince enducing responses. But to be fair, almost anybody would have been a welcome change.

Offline Sweeper

• Mayor
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 08:54:54 PM »
Sorry, it was such a breath of fresh air after 8 years of wince enducing responses. But to be fair, almost anybody would have been a welcome change.

But the thread was started to talk about our current President's first prime time press conference.  To judge it on its own merit, I fail to see how anyone could view it as anything greater than disappointing. Sure, all politicians duck questions, but the filibusters that rambled on to nowhere really makes one question what the purpose of the press conference was. He emphasizes crisis and than mumbles campaign rhetoric.
Less than inspiring.

Honesty check time. Did you watch the whole hour?

Offline kempsternyc

• Senator
  • Me in a bowler hat and nowhere to go.
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2009, 09:06:35 PM »
Alex, it wasn't that I was looking for excitement in watching Obama's news conference. It was that he kept going back to things he'd already said a bunch of times already. He would answer the reporter's question in maybe 4-5 sentences and then go on for a few minutes about other things that may or may not have been directly related to what was asked. It struck me as indulgent and self-serving, and it got to the point where I was able to predict the ending to just about every sentence he began. I wanted him to take more questions, not prattle on endlessly and redundantly. I hope this was a case of nerves and not a case of his trying to talk for such a long time in order to avoid more questions.

I think I was just to happy not to here Bush's cowboy isms and I"M A MAN swagger to even realize he was doing that....I think I do recall reading that his first three answers lasted about 7 minutes each.
I love talking about nothing father, it is the only thing I know anything about -

Lord Goring "An Ideal Husband"

Offline AlexNYC

• Senator
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2009, 10:47:23 AM »
While I did expect more concise responses from Obama, and on some questions more direct answers, I thought that overall his answers and comments were descriptive, at times overly so. He would respond to the reporter and then go further on to a related subject. And yes I did watch the entire press conference.

Offline essen

• Governor
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2009, 02:19:39 PM »
I think I was just to happy not to here Bush's cowboy isms and I"M A MAN swagger to even realize he was doing that....I think I do recall reading that his first three answers lasted about 7 minutes each.

I'm thrilled to be done with the cowboy tone and mispronunciation of "nuclear" and plenty of other things about Bush's presidency, but unfortunately, "The polar opposite of Bush" isn't necessarily a good thing - it's just another extreme. But I still have hope that this President will be better than the last. A lot will ride on how this stimulus package pans out. I already have a bad feeling about how the Republicans are responding to Obama and the congressional Democrats. Pelosi doesn't seem to inspire much good will among non-Democrats.. I really hate political parties.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 02:24:45 PM by essen »

Offline Billz1981

• Senator
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2009, 03:12:58 PM »
I'm thrilled to be done with the cowboy tone and mispronunciation of "nuclear" and plenty of other things about Bush's presidency, but unfortunately, "The polar opposite of Bush" isn't necessarily a good thing - it's just another extreme. But I still have hope that this President will be better than the last. A lot will ride on how this stimulus package pans out. I already have a bad feeling about how the Republicans are responding to Obama and the congressional Democrats. Pelosi doesn't seem to inspire much good will among non-Democrats.. I really hate political parties.

I think it's high time that the Republicans actually do their job and vigorously oppose questionable spending.  President Obama is 100 percent correct that doing nothing is not the answer, but that doesn't mean that spending has to be as wanton and misdirected as the current package.

Is it really news that Pelosi is a strong partisan?  She has always been a divisive and controversial figure.  She's not courting the Republicans because she doesn't feel that she needs them.  Hopefully, that will change.

Prediction: The stimulus package will not pull us out of this mess.

Offline FZ

• Running for Senate
  • Real Peace Comes After The Battle Is Won
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2009, 11:09:54 PM »

A note  of agreement, Obama is definately 'anybody.' :lol:

Offline Debbie

• Senator
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2009, 04:12:45 PM »

Sorry but I think I will be comparing the two for a long time to come.  The fact that the current President can string two sentences together that actually make sense is astonishing and refreshing.  Sorry, but following eight years of Bush, I cannot help but compare the two.

Offline Billz1981

• Senator
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2009, 09:36:45 PM »
A note  of agreement, Obama is definately 'anybody.' :lol:

This grace period where President Obama is compared with President Bush will end soon when one of two things happens.  Either the stimulus package will pull us out of this recession, in which case, the administration will get (and deserve) credit on their own merits.  Or, the laws of economics as we know them will still not have changed.

Offline kempsternyc

• Senator
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2009, 11:22:36 PM »
I think it's high time that the Republicans actually do their job and vigorously oppose questionable spending.  President Obama is 100 percent correct that doing nothing is not the answer, but that doesn't mean that spending has to be as wanton and misdirected as the current package.

Too bad they were silent over the last 8 years.
I love talking about nothing father, it is the only thing I know anything about -

Offline Billz1981

• Senator
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2009, 11:38:32 PM »
Too bad they were silent over the last 8 years.

Yes, I agree.  That is why I said "It's high time..."  I think being the party of opposition could be the chance they need to return to core values.

Offline 28Grand

• Global Moderator
  • Senator
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2009, 11:53:22 AM »
When have Republicans ever opposed spending? They’ve been in power and have controlled the agenda for nearly 30 years and haven’t managed to do so yet. Haven’t they had enough time to demonstrate their core values?

Offline Billz1981

• Senator
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2009, 12:53:54 PM »
When have Republicans ever opposed spending? They’ve been in power and have controlled the agenda for nearly 30 years and haven’t managed to do so yet. Haven’t they had enough time to demonstrate their core values?

That's not really true, though, is it?  I'll admit that under the Bush administration they spent like crazy, and I have always taken exception to that.  But they have not controlled the agenda for most of the last 30 years.  Actually, the congress has mostly been controlled by the dems in that time.  And the presidency for a good portion of that time as well.  Also, I would say that the Contract with America Republicans did an excellent job of keeping spending in check.  And who would you put forward as an alternative guardian of the public purse strings?

Offline 28Grand

• Global Moderator
  • Senator
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2009, 04:57:06 PM »
Regardless of which party has been in control of Congress or the presidency, you don't think Conservative ideas have dominated the political landscape since Reagan was elected?

Neither Republicans nor Democrats have a good track record of cutting spending. It just doesn't happen.

Offline kempsternyc

• Senator
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2009, 12:44:07 AM »
Regardless of which party has been in control of Congress or the presidency, you don't think Conservative ideas have dominated the political landscape since Reagan was elected?

Neither Republicans nor Democrats have a good track record of cutting spending. It just doesn't happen.

Clinton left us with a surplus. That Bush then robbed from us.

In his time...there was a mix of tax increases....budget cuts...budget increases....etc. The end result is that he left us on a good financial footing.

Offline Debbie

• Senator
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2009, 01:33:26 PM »
Back to some of the statements made about Obama's responses at the Press Conference being long winded and a bit professorial - I do not think he was elected to entertain us.  We can watch Saturday Night Live for that.

Offline essen

• Governor
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2009, 08:53:41 PM »
Debbie, it wasn't that I was looking for entertainment in watching Obama's news conference. It was that he kept going back to things he'd already said a bunch of times already. He would answer the reporter's question in maybe 4-5 sentences and then go on for a few minutes about other things that may or may not have been directly related to what was asked. It struck me as indulgent and self-serving, and it got to the point where I was able to predict the ending to just about every sentence he began. I wanted him to take more questions, not prattle on endlessly and redundantly. I hope this was a case of nerves and not a case of his trying to talk for such a long time in order to avoid more questions.

Offline Debbie

• Senator
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2009, 05:44:41 PM »
First time President, first time Press Conference.  I do not know your profession, but the first time you did something related to your job, was it perfect? 

Offline essen

• Governor
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2009, 07:41:29 PM »
First time President, first time Press Conference.  I do not know your profession, but the first time you did something related to your job, was it perfect? 

As a matter of fact, yes.
But as I said in another post in this thread... I've seen several press conferences with Obama where he seemed very comfortable. This one was the complete opposite of those. So maybe he was just really nervous about this one because it was his first prime time press conference? I don't buy it, and really I'm not interested in excuses related to his being inexperienced, especially when it comes to talking to the press. But we'll see how his next one goes.

Offline TRX

• Governor
  • It only makes me laugh
    • http://www.lp.org
anarchy Re: Obama's conference
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2009, 03:44:13 PM »
http://uk.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idUKTRE51N5BI20090224

Obama speaks to Congress and to the public this evening. - 9pm - I would expect that his speech will be pretty well received.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/7907412.stm

And Gov. Jindal would give a response. Wondering if there would be substance there.

Throwing much in this sink. Very early in this administration, independents still give Obama preliminary good marks.
Even quite a number of GOP voters give Obama modest support. [I am sure it varies depending on the issue]

I think that as far as good marks, it would start with his diplomatic team and with their early focus.

I like Crudele's take on deficit spending
It's like a guy who goes on a lights-out binge drinking spree and then pledges only to get incoherently drunk in the future. Sure, it's better to just be drunk but neither is healthy.

OT - our NY governor is considered to be weak at this time. So I am curious for a local poll how many expect to vote in 2010 for Gov. Paterson? How many would rather see another candidate in the Dem primary, whether Cuomo or otherwise?
How many would like to see a challenger to the Dems, whether to Paterson or to Cuomo or to another Dem?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 03:49:40 PM by TRX »
Life, Liberty, Happiness (pursuit of) and pasta

Offline TRX

• Governor
  • It only makes me laugh
Health care Re: Obama's
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2009, 02:49:23 PM »
Do we now have govt 2.0

http://www.healthreform.gov/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/03/05/AR2009030501707.html

At Summit, Obama Urges Solutions for Rising Cost of Health Care

Medical spending, now about $2.3 trillion, consumes about 16 percent of the gross domestic product. And although the United States spends more per capita on health care than any industrialized nation, Americans do not live longer or healthier lives, according to a range of international measures.

Offline TRX

• Governor
  • It only makes me laugh
Re: Obama's press
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2009, 07:06:11 AM »

What is up with the online ad:
Do you regret voting for Obama?

I have a hard time imagining as yet that those who voted for Obama would not do so again.

These columns have been highlighted.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/06/opinion/06brooks.html

On Tuesday, I wrote that the Obama budget is a liberal, big government document that should make moderates nervous. The column generated a large positive response from moderate Obama supporters who are anxious about where the administration is headed.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/03/opinion/03brooks.html
A moderate manifesto.

Bush went years before he issued a veto and generally left an agenda to Congress. It will be very interesting when the time comes that Obama issues a veto.

Offline TRX

• Governor
  • It only makes me laugh
60 min. Re: Obama's press
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2009, 06:40:15 PM »

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/03/18/60minutes/main4873938.shtml

I wonder if Kroft's team will have a book on the Obama years eventually.
Obama interview showing this evening.

Not related, a quote that I was glad to see:

I’m a Republican…we got America into two wars, we’ve done great damage to our economy, to our force structure, to our standing in the world.
For a Vice President who participated in that, who led in that, to come on and say that this new administration has really put America in danger is just folly.
- Hagel

Offline Sweeper

• Mayor
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2009, 05:54:18 AM »
He did better this time.

Offline essen

• Governor
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2009, 06:56:06 PM »
He did better this time.

I missed the first half hour (forgot :oops:), but based on the second half hour I agree. I wasn't thrilled by all of his answers, but at least they seemed more like answers.

Offline essen

• Governor
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2009, 08:40:01 PM »
What are you disagreeing with, negative nodder?

Offline edava

• Mayor
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2009, 09:57:19 PM »
You just have to laugh at this whole nodding thing. POINTLESS.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life